Lexus IS Bike Rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Lexus IS Bike Rack

I am getting rid of my truck and buying a Lexus IS and was wondering what I should do to transport my bike. I really don't want to do a roof rack because I drive a lot and don't want to lose any mpg's. I also don't know what the IS looks like with a roof rack, I can't seem to find any pics. So, I am thinking about doing a hitch mounted rack. What have some of you guys done? Thanks for the help.
    2011 S-Works Epic 29er

mtbr member
    May 2009
    check out the swagman xc. i just got one and i like it. very good quality and is a lot less $ than others. you can get a hitch and rack for under 300

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hitch mount would be great for that car...thule or yakima are both great. I would not get anything bigger than a 2-bike (keep it lighter and smaller on the back of the car) and I would recommend one that grabs the wheels of the bike instead of the top tube (more secure, easier to mount, can accept any type of frame).

http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/BikeCarriers/Hitch/4766509.aspx

or

http://www.yakima.com/racks/bike-rac...s-only%29.aspx

are both perfect for the application. Regarding Yakima and Thule - both are US based companies who make excellent products. I have used both in several applications with success. I currently have a Yak rack installed on my car and a Thule installed on my wifes.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

Phil from San Diego
    I'd suggest a trunk mount rack unless you need to carry multiple bikes. Much cheaper and doesn't require any mods to the car. If you want something fancy, look for the Saris Bones.

Phil.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Trunk mounts introduce the greatest risk of scratching the car - and my guess is the OP would like to avoid scratches on the new Lexus as a #1 priority.
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the replies guys. I definitely don't want to do anything that will scratch the car and have been looking at the Yakima, Thule and Kuat. I am leaning more towards the Kuat, they are nice looking racks and my local bike shop highly recommends them.
    2011 S-Works Epic 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That Kuat Sherpa and NV both look very nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was looking at the NV. I think that is the way I may go.
    2011 S-Works Epic 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    what year IS?

I can take pics of a Yakima roof rack on a IS300 for you.

I like Saris hitch racks, but i wouldnt want a rear mount for myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It is a 2008. I would be interested in seeing pics. Do they make adaptors for roof racks if your bike has a 15mm thru axle?
    2011 S-Works Epic 29er

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdrnizd
    It is a 2008. I would be interested in seeing pics. Do they make adaptors for roof racks if your bike has a 15mm thru axle?
    fox fork adapter....15mm

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just read your post so not sure if you already got your rack. I have an 08 IS as well, with a Yakima Fork Mount roof rack. It works awesome. In addition, it looks really good with the car.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I use a hitch mound Yakima Hold Up, love it.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by jeronimus View Post
    Just read your post so not sure if you already got your rack. I have an 08 IS as well, with a Yakima Fork Mount roof rack. It works awesome. In addition, it looks really good with the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by justinkeith View Post
    I use a hitch mound Yakima Hold Up, love it.
    Post up some photos, guys!

-D

Members who have read this thread: 0