Lefty hauling on the roof (also thru-axle forks)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lefty hauling on the roof (also thru-axle forks)

I already have a complete Thule fork mount roof setup. What to do with a new Lefty purchase? One of the fork adapters from Fork Up, Thule or Yakima which run about $70. Add another $100 and get the Thule Sidearm instead?

Is using one of these adapters so painful that you do it a couple of times and then give up and buy a tray that lets you keep the front wheels on?

I do like the security of a fork attached mount but is that enough to trade for an easy bike on/off?
    Last edited by thatdrewguy; 02-16-2012 at 11:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I had same issue, last season I used Rocky Mount pitchforks, my buddy that rides all the time with me got a Flash with a lefty, so he went with the Yakima adapter. it works well and secures the bike but I have to say its a pain because you need to use your 5mm and unscrew the hub remove brake, then screw it into adapter then reverse once you get to trail. Can you live with it, sure and to be honest it only added a few minutes each way unless you can't find your 5mm. LOL

But then this winter I went with a 15mm fork and wheel set up for myself, so I like you thought of getting an adapter for $70 or dropping an additional 50=80 and getting a tray track like the front loader or something. Well I decided to give the frontloader a try just so I dont have to mess with the adapter taking wheel off, and it frees up more space in the car.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cemeb4dk View Post

But then this winter I went with a 15mm fork and wheel set up for myself, so I like you thought of getting an adapter for $70 or dropping an additional 50=80 and getting a tray track like the front loader or something. Well I decided to give the frontloader a try just so I dont have to mess with the adapter taking wheel off, and it frees up more space in the car.
    Thanks for the feedback. I forgot that thru-axle forks would encounter the hassles as a Lefty and I've updated my thread title.

I still like the low profile of a fork mount rack and when the bike is on without the front wheel but maybe it is time to get a front loader.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I agree about the low profile and just a feeling of being more securely attached. But hoping the ease and quickness will help me get over that.

Good luck in your search.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I didn't realize the fork up type adapters cost so much these days. I have a fork up and a flytrap. I use both. With the fork up it's easiest to install onto the bike, then lift the bike onto the rack like you normally would. For the flytrap you install it in the rack, then just put the maxle or whatever thru-axle back in the fork after removing the wheel and then put it up there. I've never had a problem with either coming loose on the road or anything - they seem secure. That said I mostly use a hitch rack these days for MTBs. I don't think I'd ever use a roof tray without a fork mount of some type since I almost lost a bike on one of those things years ago on a trip with some friends - I don't trust them enough for long trips, etc.

Members who have read this thread: 0