Leer Canopy?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Leer Canopy?

mtbr member

Leer Canopy?

I'm looking at the Leer 100XQ or 100XR for a short bed Tacoma, any advantage or disadvantage of one over the other? I'm planning to have tracks installed from Leer and add the pop out front slider. Any options that you got that regretted or wished you had purchased?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have a 100XR on my Tundra. When we haul the dog or camp in it, the sliding windows with screens are nice. That said, I think the xq looks better - particularly when you tint the back windows of the truck to match.

I've got the tracks, which are totally functional. They are Thule branded, but can work with other gear. The stock width did make it a bit of a hassle to run a basket on top, but with the height, I gave up on a basket anyway. I'm working on a 80/20 platform which could serve cargo hauling capabilities but mostly as a place to attach extra lights and an awning.

Since the Tundra, and I assume the Tacoma, have the full slide down rear window, the pop out window in the shell is nice. I never bought the fancy boot from Leer, as I never plan to run it full open when driving. I did experiment with a piece of PVC pipe insulation and it wedges in pretty well and would likely keep out most water. Just not as fancy as the boot.

When you have the shell installed, make sure they do a good job on the back hatch/tailgate seal. Get it home, lay some newspaper in the bed, close it up, and hit is with a water spray. I bought second hand and need to get into the Leer dealer to have the seal sorted out as I get a couple different areas of spray coming in during a heavy rain, though only along the back edge, the sides and front edge are perfectly sealed.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply and info. I stopped by a second Leer distributor this week. After talking to the sales guy, I'll be going with the XQ. According to this guys sales pitch, the rear hatch on the XQ does a better job of dissipating water when opened. Living in the PNW, this seemed like a nice feature. He also sold me on the pop out window and the keyless rear hatch option.

The second shop also uses Rhino tracks over the Thule tracks that Leer offers. He had a display of the Thule and Rhino tracks side by side. The Rhino has a wider track and a wider nut on the backside to spread the load better than the Thule.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.