Land Rover- Mtbr.com

Thread: Land Rover

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Land Rover

Picked up a 2008 LR2 to replace my Ford Escape at lease end.

Am intending to use my Saris Bones 2 rack to transport the bikes, but may explore a hitch rack when budget allows.

Any other Land Rover owners out there?

Here's a few snaps, I'll post some with the bike & rack soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hope you got a warranty on that land rover. They are notorious for engine problems, and the parts are rediculously expensive because they get shipped from overseas. The most common problems for this model appear to be related to the power steering pump(loss of power steering at slow speeds) and differential problems(which are costly to fix).

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My mom has had an LR3 since 2006 and has ~180,000km on it. It has had a few issues, mostly early in life and fixed under warranty but it is a super comfortable vehicle and she absolutely loves it. She will be ordering a new LR4 as a replacement early in the new year before they are replaced.

mtbr member
    We have a 2007 LR3, wife's car, she loves it, bought the 90k extended warranty, think we've generated a 4-5x return on our extendo investment.

Extended warranty ran out 2 weeks ago, be afraid, be very afraid...

Quote Originally Posted by TiFJ View Post
    My mom has had an LR3 since 2006 and has ~180,000km on it. It has had a few issues, mostly early in life and fixed under warranty but it is a super comfortable vehicle and she absolutely loves it. She will be ordering a new LR4 as a replacement early in the new year before they are replaced.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Land Rover

Good to hear there a few others out there, I know the LR3s haven't got the best rep but TiFJ 180,000km is pretty solid going. Thankfully as this LR2 is an early model it doesn't owe me a great deal of money compared to what it would have cost to buy one of its competitors around the same age.

Its been well looked after and I have my fingers crossed that I can get a good few years out of it.

In the meantime, loving it so far the wife has an early bmw Z4 so it's a great contrast to drive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    We have a 2007 LR3, wife's car, she loves it, bought the 90k extended warranty, think we've generated a 4-5x return on our extendo investment.

Are you being sarcastic, or did you really get more than your moneys worth on the extended warranty?

The resale value on land rovers is very low, so i would never buy one brand new. But the reason it's so low is because they are notoriously unreliable. My buddy and his wife both bought freelanders several years ago. One of them blew the engine at around 60k miles, the other blew the head gasket under 100k miles. He's a mechanic so he fixed them himself, but he said never again would he own a land rover. These things just shouldn't happen on modern cars under 100k miles.

mtbr member
    No, we bought it used 3yrs(35k miles) ago w/extendo to 90k miles.

The dealer loves it when you show up with the extendo and go out of their way to "find" things. Plus you get a rental car, once we got a supercharged Jag.

They found a couple of dead pixels in the radio LCD, whew that was spendy. Couple of areas, tranzaxle, trans seal, tricky leak in the pipe to the rear AC, that cost a bundle and 3 trips.

I said to the service manager once, "what if we actually took this thing off road?"

He just smiled.

Great winter car, heated windshield, etc... at the end of a stormy ski day its warm and defrosted before you can get your ski boots off... my wife wants another.

Quote Originally Posted by Neseth View Post
    Are you being sarcastic, or did you really get more than your moneys worth on the extended warranty?

The resale value on land rovers is very low, so i would never buy one brand new. But the reason it's so low is because they are notoriously unreliable. My buddy and his wife both bought freelanders several years ago. One of them blew the engine at around 60k miles, the other blew the head gasket under 100k miles. He's a mechanic so he fixed them himself, but he said never again would he own a land rover. These things just shouldn't happen on modern cars under 100k miles.

Kick Start My Heart

Land Rover

Not an owner currently, but I am sure it will happen again, I am employed by the dealer, and I like the product. (I am not Sales, I am Parts Manager, I love the hands on!)
    Congrats on the LR2! We are currently looking at the 2 for my wife to replace the Expedition as we downsize the family. One of the things I like about the 2 is, well we don't do much with those, not as much as it's bigger brothers. Occasionally we will have a rear diff issue, and one off other issues. If I was to give advice, I would say that 'fill for life' synthetic fluids aren't always. If you are going to keep it, keep after it. That goes for anything. Stuff will be a little more expensive for the LR, but speaking as a car person, and not as an LR employee, for what the car the car does, it's an investment.
    *Product soapbox.
    The Freelander is not a good representative product for Land Rover. I will stop there.
    As part of my job we take customers out off-road, yeah, my job.
    We take box stock cars out here in Colorado and give the clients some pointers on using the cars. We push the cars pretty hard. They always come back.

As for Land Rover engine and reliability issues, I will say this:
    1. maintenance goes a long way, see synthetic issue above.
    2. We have more units in operation, and a larger active database than ever, however, our customer visits have been near the same while warranty repairs $ have reduced to almost a quarter of what they were 5-7 years ago. Why? The product has gotten much better. We see the occasional high $ repair like any brand, but we just don't see as much repair needed. This affects my ability to buy bike parts. It's good for the client though; a true double-edged sword.

Please no flame war for me.
    Enjoy the car!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    My wife has one we got new in 07. A few minor warranty issues when new then nothing but brakes and batteries. The brakes because she seems to beat on them. Not sure why we're on the 3rd battery, but with a Land Rover it could be worse. BTW, it's the only car we've ever owned where I did choose to purchase the extended warranty.

These were taken on it's 3rd day of ownership. Hasn't been offroad since.

Land Rover-lr2.jpg

Land Rover-lr22.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Re: Land Rover

@davez26 great to hear you see less of the LR2s in the shop. I aim to keep on top of the maintenance schedule for sure.

@bike n gear love those pics! I'd definitely like to take mine off road properly.

Here's a pic with the bike on the back. I may look at hitch options in future but need to save some $.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Shouldn't say the LR3's never been offroad, my 16yo has been practicing lately...

Land Rover-img_3755.jpg

Land Rover-274.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Another LR owner here. I have 2 Defender 90's, a 2001 and a 2014, and a Series 3 stage 1 v8. I love them all most of the time!

Heres the newest one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Land Rover

Very nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My wife got a new Evoque in Feb of 13. We are now looking at rack options. Roof would probably be best since we ski almost every weekend of the winter but hitch options are not off the table. We usually take my car skiing anyway. As far as the problems go, my brother always says get rid of it before 50k miles as he is always putting money in repairs. Mostly brakes and he has the 8000 pound Range Rover. Yes they can get expensive but as mentioned earlier, maintenance goes a long way and the cars are well made.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Despite their shaky reliability, I love Land Rovers. They've got that British character that you don't see with many cars. My wife had a Discovery for a short time. It was a very solid car - very heavy and very good off road. It definitely felt like a vehicle that wanted to be off road.

I've heard the later model Rovers have gotten much better when it coms to reliability. If I ever with the lottery, I wouldn't mid carting my bikes and skis around in a nice new Range Rover Sport.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    If I ever with the lottery, I wouldn't mid carting my bikes and skis around in a nice new Range Rover Sport.
    It would look good in the MRG parking lot...

Best part of the LR3/4/Disco is your bike sits up straight in the back, along with the dog crate.

Land Rover-fullsizerender-25-.jpg
    Last edited by patski; 11-09-2014 at 03:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It would look good in the MRV parking lot...

Best part of the LR3/4/Disco is your bike sits up straight in the back, along with the dog crate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender (25).jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	937772
    Great pic! I see you've got a hitch, do you ever use a hitch rack?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coxinio View Post
    Great pic! I see you've got a hitch, do you ever use a hitch rack?
    Yes, more than 2-3 bikes we use an older swing daddy

Don't usually like to leave my bikes outside tho in the bar districts.

BTW, that's a Curt 13456 Receiver, $350 less than the Official OEM LR part. 30min job to install.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    this is my shuttle rig... pretty much perfect for it, goes anywhere very comfy with a few interior mods (recaro's momo wheel) and on the road goes like stink can throw 4 bikes in the back (without wheels on) and made a custom bike rack for it as the big spare on the door doesn't leave many rack options...

actually planning a new rack that's why im browsing through here

Land Rover-normal_p6160075%7E0.jpg

Land Rover-normal_pa180046.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Land Rover

Quote Originally Posted by twist View Post
    this is my shuttle rig... pretty much perfect for it, goes anywhere very comfy with a few interior mods (recaro's momo wheel) and on the road goes like stink can throw 4 bikes in the back (without wheels on) and made a custom bike rack for it as the big spare on the door doesn't leave many rack options...

actually planning a new rack that's why im browsing through here

Name:	normal_P6160075~0.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	954284

Name:	normal_PA180046.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	954291

Holy sh** that thing looks tough! Well done sir, nice whip 😜👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Lock down the whole car and biker forum. ^^^^ This is the all-time winner. Awesome.

mtbr member
    Love Range Rovers.

My boss just bought the new, long wheelbase Range Rover Autobiography edition. Limo-quality interior and goes like a beast. But for $145k, it ought to!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PSimpson7 View Post
    Another LR owner here. I have 2 Defender 90's, a 2001 and a 2014, and a Series 3 stage 1 v8. I love them all most of the time!

Heres the newest one.

Wish they sold these in the u.s.

mtbr member
    Here my 1985 Defender 110

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by psimpson7 View Post
    another lr owner here. I have 2 defender 90's, a 2001 and a 2014, and a series 3 stage 1 v8. I love them all most of the time!

Heres the newest one.

love this truck! Picture didn't work
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5250 View Post
    Wish they sold these in the u.s.
    I second this, I'd get one in a minute if they did
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

Kick Start My Heart
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bye View Post
    I second this, I'd get one in a minute if they did
    Just wait. I believe we are still about a year out.
    If every one who said that they would buy one in a minute pans out, I may switch departments and retire!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

The Defender is (almost) back...

Some awesome marketing going on here...

Lego Defender, released at the same press conference called to announce that the Defender is returning to the USA market.

Should we replace our now 20-year old Land Cruiser....? Have to see how these puppies hold up in the rough.

Land Rover-img_0765.jpg

Don't Tread on Me
    Take it from a mechanic with his own business and 45 years experience and no dog in the fight. Never own a Land Rover without warranty coverage. Or in other words, never own a Land Rover.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    Take it from a mechanic with his own business and 45 years experience and no dog in the fight. Never own a Land Rover without warranty coverage. Or in other words, never own a Land Rover.
    Truth...I owned a Range Rover...once.