Lancer GTS, Mazda 3, or Impreza?- Mtbr.com
    Braaaapp!

Lancer GTS, Mazda 3, or Impreza?

Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, 152 hp 2.0L with CVT

Subaru Impreza 4 door(premium package), 170 hp 2.5L with 4 spd auto

Mazda 3 4 door (s touring), 156 hp 2.3L with 5 spd auto

Just wondering on what your guy's (& gal's) impressions are on which of these three would be a better car. My sister is getting something new this Friday and has narrowed it down to these 3 choices (and doesn't like it when I suggest something like also looking at Volvo or VW).

My personal choice for her is the Impreza. She lives in Michigan and AWD would be a good thing, plus I jut think there are fewer of them out there than the Mazda or Mitsubishi (although the GTS looks cool). Just thought it would be interesting to see what other's thought.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    From a quality standpoint I'd go w/ the Mazda. That Lancer is a pretty nice ride if optioned out correctly. Don't like small cars much but it's all a matter of opinion on this one.

Uphill isn't a sport!!
    I maybe alittle partial to the Subaru, but my vote goes for the Impreza.

However, the new mitsubishi's look way cooler.

The AWD will be nice for the snow, the Flat 4 engine gives a lower center of gravity which will also help keep control when driving on ice & snow, and cornering.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    I've driven the '08 Impreza (non-WRX) and was not at all impressed. I thought the handling and auto transmission weren't even close to being competitive. I've had quality trouble with mitsubishi in the past so I personally wouldn't consider one until they are able demonstrate a reasonable history of producing high quality cars. The 3 (I've driven the '08 hatch) is a fun little car with a lot of bang for the buck. If AWD wasn't critical, that's the one from your list that I'd go with, no question.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    I should point out that it was the '08 Impreza wagon I drove, not the sedan. I assume that they are similar enough that I would be similarly unimpressed but I don't have any direct experience to say for sure.

Braaaapp!
    Yea, the sedan and wagon share the same wheelbase and literally the same curb weight, so I would expect them to preform about the same.

I think my dad's pushing for the Mazda 3. He wants her to have AWD, but it sounds like he can't find anything but glowing reviews for the Mazda online and in mags. Mitsu kind of scares me a bit, didn't they have one foot in the grave 4-5 years ago?

My sister will be coming from driving a 2001 Sunfire, so any of these cars will be a big improvement. Her car isn't bad, it's just slow and has been full of rattles since day one. Plus it suffers from the same performance killer as my Jeep, the 3 speed auto.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    You might want to check out the '09 Toyota Matrix as well. There's an AWD version and it's about in the same ball park in terms of price. It wasn't available when we were looking at cars but it would've made the list to check out if it were. I've been kind of impressed with Toyota's poor man's AWD for bad weather street use (we ended up with an AWD rav4). It's by no means a serious offroad 4wd system but it definitely gets the job done when required.

Anyway, you really just have to get into each one and try them. What one person hates may be fine for someone else. Something that looks good on paper you may totally dismiss because of something you never thought of. I couldn't put the seat back far enough in a Honda I was looking at so it was out regardless of how great it was otherwise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    For a girl def. the matrix. I've got two words for Toyota---All Trac. It was the f'n Shyte back in the day. I'd imagine it's still a great car.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    living in Michigan the Subaru is the obvious choice. WHen its white out AWD is worth its weight in gold. Also like Bob mentioned, check out the Matrix. Its ugly as sin, but a good quality and versatile car.

If she lived somewhere south I would suggest the Mazda, as its the nicest looking and best build quality.

Braaaapp!
    Ha ha. Asked her about considering the Matrix.
    Response
    "Shut up! It took me long enough to get down to these three, quit trying to confuse me!"

So I guess that's out! I'm sure she'll be calling me ASAP tomorrow when she makes a final decision, I'll post up what it ends up being. I think she's really leaning to the Mazda 3 right now, despite lack of AWD. She's always had just FWD, and lives where the plow trucks react much faster now, so I don't think it's too big of a deal to her. Heck, I survived 2 winters in the Keweenaw Penninsula with a 2wd S-10 and some sandbags. Put decent tires on anything and it'll do alright in the snow!

Track Junkie
    Check out edmunds.com/insideline They have a long term Lancer GTS in the fleet, and they have blogged the good and the bad. So far, it sounds like the clear winner. http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/c...bishiLancerGTS

If she needs it for snow, the AWD of the Subie or Lancer will be invaluable.

Personally I would go for the Mazda, especially if I didn't want/need AWD.

-B
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    200 HP - VW Jetta GLI ! I have a hitch on there too that works great.

Braaaapp!
    The Mazda 3 won it. White with charcol interior, S Touring package.

She didn't like the interior on the Subaru and felt she'd regret buying it every time she got in it.
    Felt the Lancer had too small of a back seat, and they were very unhappy with the way the dealership treated them (dealer said they can't give a total price, only what the monthly payments would be?!!?!)
    My dad tried to get her to the VW dealer, but it was a no go.

wilks, nice GTI. My gf got a Wolfsberg Passat a few months ago. Nice car, and it scoots along good too.

Track Junkie
    Congrats! I'm sure she'll be happy with her purchase.
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    She made a great choice on the 3. Of course I would have suggested getting the five door but I understand some prefer sedansm at leat until they try to carry that cool chair home.

Members who have read this thread: 0