Kuat Transfer 2 - opinions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Kuat Transfer 2 - opinions?

I'm looking at Kuat transfer 2 for Grand Cherokee with 2 inch receiver.
    Good price. Good looking rack
    i like that it holds bikes by tires.

Anybody here uses it?
    Also, what is general opinion about Kuat?

thanks
    More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow....:skep:

Your Best Friend
    Kuat makes a fine rack for two bikes. If you drive off road, you void your warranty. If you ever want to get a two bike add on, they make the rack horrible for 4 bikes. If you can get it for a justifiable deal, go for it.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Thanks.
    I need to carry 1-2 bikes at most. Not off-roading.
    I can get one for 245 shipped. Seems lieke good deal to me

App-a-LATCH-un
    I got my transfer 2 @ 20% off and another 10% AJ cashback made it come out to net spending of just over $200 shipped. No Brainer.
    Fifty-two, I mean fifty-four bicycles on the wall
    Ready to ride, ready to ride until the last of them falls

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobiemario View Post
    Thanks.
    I need to carry 1-2 bikes at most. Not off-roading.
    I can get one for 245 shipped. Seems lieke good deal to me
    Could you post a link to the site selling them? That's a great deal and I'm also in the market. Thanks

mtbr member
    Here it is,

Kuat Transfer 2 Hitch Bike Rack

seems like site does not load correctly though
    It did some time ago, and I added it to cart, and price was 245 and some cents. I didn't buy mine yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I just bought one for two fatties.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tartis99 View Post

Just got mine. $300 from backcountry .com

Seems solid, a little odd how the rear wheel leans back with just the cup under it. Long wheelbase mountain bike. No issue though, would recommend.

mtbr member
    I have this rack and couldn't be happier. There is a lock kit you can get for it which is suitable for keeping the bikes where they should be for short trips into the gas station. Only minor things to keep an eye on is the screw in pin that keeps the rack in the receiver loosens over time, it shouldn't fall out, but the rack starts rocking and making noise until you tighten it up. Also make sure you bounce the rack up after putting it down. I had mine drop into the 'get stuff from your trunk'position while driving once because the locking mechanism didn't seat all the way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I love my Transfer 2! It is easy to use and I have found very secure and stable. The only minor thing is that the arms squeak when you swing them out for loading. Not sure if there is a fix but it does not affect the functioning.

mtbr member
    Quick plus to this rack. It's wife friendly. Easy enough to swing the rack down for trunk/hatch access, my wife doesn't ask me to take it off the vehicle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    With my Farley 5 and the huge tires, I have to lean the bike to initially get the brace over the front tire.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vaer View Post
    Quick plus to this rack. It's wife friendly. Easy enough to swing the rack down for trunk/hatch access, my wife doesn't ask me to take it off the vehicle.
    I can second this. My wife loves the rack as well as it does not get in the way and on our Rav4, it does not block the rear view camera!

mtbr member
    I just ordered mine. Jensonusa has 20% off on one item deal. I got the rack for 241 shipped.

Few weeks ago same rack was on sale for 209 on Amazon... I missed that deal....

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I've been using the Transfer 3 since about March and so far, it's been good. It comes on and off the vehicle easily but mine stays on the Highlander most of the time, just check the pin every once in a while. Also make sure you snug down the front tire arm on the wheel, I had one loosen up and the bike fell over - no damage though. For the bucks, I'm happy with the rack although I'm tempted to go for a single 1Up as well, since I primarily just haul the one bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Tartis99...what brand of top tube bag do you have on your Farley

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    Tartis99...what brand of top tube bag do you have on your Farley

Thanks
    Topeak Fuel Tank Large. I love it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tartis99 View Post

So this fits the 26x4.7 Barbegazi? I didn' think the Kuat could handle a tire that big.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Just do not hold up to continuous use. If once a week or so hauling a bike or two to the local trail is what its intended use it will last for several years. For long trips and/or heavy usage they just do not hold up.

App-a-LATCH-un
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D24 View Post
    Just do not hold up to continuous use. If once a week or so hauling a bike or two to the local trail is what its intended use it will last for several years. For long trips and/or heavy usage they just do not hold up.
    Please elaborate. What do I need to look for? Bikes falling off at highway speed?
    Pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fifty-two, I mean fifty-four bicycles on the wall
    Ready to ride, ready to ride until the last of them falls

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kwabbott View Post
    So this fits the 26x4.7 Barbegazi? I didn' think the Kuat could handle a tire that big.
    I can confirm that a Surly Bud on a Clown Shoe will fit the front arm with the bike lean/tilt method mentioned above.

I think Kuat's official stance of fitting up to a 4.6" tire is still valid from a ease of use standpoint. Using the bike tilt method is a minor pain to deal with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D24 View Post
    I have had this rack for a year, use it 2-3 times a week. I've taken it on numerous long trips. The rack is holding up great, no problems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pinche View Post
    I can second this. My wife loves the rack as well as it does not get in the way and on our Rav4, it does not block the rear view camera!
    DPinche, what do you mean by 'doesn't get in the way' with the RAV? as in, bikes clear the spare tire? or meaning you can swing open the tailgate with the rack installed? we have a 2012 and i figured it was rackproof, hitch wise, anyway.

pls, pardon my late arrival.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Since the thread came to live, I can give little update.
    I had my rack for 1.5 years now. And I really like it. It holds two bikes securely at highway speeds.
    It is really solid. Easy to get bikes off and on.
    And when folded still looks pretty good.

One thing I could say is a drawback, is that when retracted, tire trays partially block tail lights in 2014 Grand Cherokee. But thatís just how things line up. Different cars will not have that problem. Or perhaps have it to worse degree.

But over all. Great rack!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
    DPinche, what do you mean by 'doesn't get in the way' with the RAV? as in, bikes clear the spare tire? or meaning you can swing open the tailgate with the rack installed? we have a 2012 and i figured it was rackproof, hitch wise, anyway.

pls, pardon my late arrival.
    Weill I have a 2016 RAV4, but yes with the rack in the lower position, you can open the rear hatch (door swings up on my car). I also meant that the rack does not block your view when looking at the rear view mirror or the back up camera. It also does not block your license plate.

Overall I am still super happy with the rack. Zero problems and it just works.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thinking about picking this up vs. the Rocky Mounts Monorail 2. This would be my first rack, and I'd use it sparingly since I have a 6ft bed on my truck that I've used to far to carry bikes. How easy/difficult is the Transfer to take off and put on the hitch? If anyone has also used the Monorail 2, I'd like to hear what you thought about it as well.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Thinking about picking this up vs. the Rocky Mounts Monorail 2. This would be my first rack, and I'd use it sparingly since I have a 6ft bed on my truck that I've used to far to carry bikes. How easy/difficult is the Transfer to take off and put on the hitch? If anyone has also used the Monorail 2, I'd like to hear what you thought about it as well.
    I have had both and IMHO the Monorail is a lot better rack. They are both easy to take on and off just need a ratchet/socket for the fastest removal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quick question, I'm looking at grabbing a transfer 2-bike, but for those with this rack... Kuat says the max wheelbase is 47". My bike is quite long, the wheelbase is 48". Anyone with longer wheelbase bikes have any feedback on how well they fit or don't fit??

The Rockymounts monorail is also an option and Rockymounts says their max is 48" which is the wheelbase of my bike. But the Rocky $75 more than I can get the Transfer for...