Kuat Sherpa 2.0, anyone?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Kuat Sherpa 2.0, anyone?

I currently have the Kuat NV 2.0. It is an excellent, sturdy rack, but I frankly find it unmanageably heavy to install and remove by myself. So heavy that I have always had to ask my teenage son to help me with it. We actually shared the NV while he finished high school- it was on his car as often as mine. Well, my son grew up, as kids do, and moved away to college- a college with a mountain bike team (yay!).

So I'd like to give the old NV rack to my son and find a substantially lighter (yet sturdy) new rack for myself. My current bikes are medium-sized cx, 26, and 29ers- no fatties and no big DH bikes. Does anyone here have the Sherpa 2.0? If so, tell me how much you like it- or not- and why.
    Bionically Modified

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    How many bikes at a time do you need to transport? You might take a look at the Kuat Transfer 2 or 3 (the 3 is still pretty hefty, but way less than any double tray rack with an add-on).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TFitz View Post
    How many bikes at a time do you need to transport? You might take a look at the Kuat Transfer 2 or 3 (the 3 is still pretty hefty, but way less than any double tray rack with an add-on).
    I need a two-bike rack.
    Bionically Modified

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Lighter rack that is easy to put on by yourself? 1UpUSA. You can get it in a single version to which you can add a second bike tray. The modular trays are super quick to add when you need them and easy to take off when you don't. Storage is easy because it all folds up, is made from Aluminum and is quite light.

I can put the single rack on my bike, add the second tray and have a bike on it in under 90 seconds.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Lighter rack that is easy to put on by yourself? 1UpUSA. You can get it in a single version to which you can add a second bike tray. The modular trays are super quick to add when you need them and easy to take off when you don't. Storage is easy because it all folds up, is made from Aluminum and is quite light.

I can put the single rack on my bike, add the second tray and have a bike on it in under 90 seconds.

J.
    I thought about 1Up, but took it off my list after reading about a design problem. Is it true that there's no locking hitch pin??
    Bionically Modified

mtbr member

J.
    I considered 1Up, but took it off my list after reading about a design problem. Is it true that there's no locking hitch pin??
    Bionically Modified

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDi View Post
    I considered 1Up, but took it off my list after reading about a design problem. Is it true that there's no locking hitch pin??
    Huh?

It has a ball driven by a jack screw that provides the same function and stops any rattling at the same time. You turn a jack screw that has a security head on it that jams the ball up into the corner of the receiver and prevents the rack from coming out. There is a provision to put a lock in front of the security head of the jackscrew giving you, essentially, two means of locking the rack to the car.

If you want a light rack that is easy to put on your car, this is the one.

J

mtbr member
    Huh?

It has a ball driven by a jack screw that provides the same function and stops any rattling at the same time. You turn a jack screw that has a security head on it that jams the ball up into the corner of the receiver and prevents the rack from coming out. There is a provision to put a lock in front of the security head of the jackscrew giving you, essentially, two means of locking the rack to the car.

If you want a light rack that is easy to put on your car, this is the one.

J
    Ok, now I see that 1Up offers a locking hitch pin for an additional $19, thanks. IMO the hitch pin should come with the rack because, seriously.

Howeverrrr, the weight! According to their respective websites, 1Up's double hitch rack weighs 48 lbs, my current Kuat NV 2.0 -that burly beast- weighs 52 lbs, the Kuat Transfer 2-bike is 37 lbs, and Kuat's new Sherpa 2.0 is only 32 lbs ...32!!! I think you can see why I'm leaning toward the Sherpa 2.0. I didn't even mention my wrecked shoulder, but yeah that's a factor.

If I end up with the Sherpa 2.0 I will post a review here.
    Bionically Modified

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ok, now I see that 1Up offers a locking hitch pin for an additional $19, thanks. IMO the hitch pin should come with the rack because, seriously.

Howeverrrr, the weight! According to their respective websites, 1Up's double hitch rack weighs 48 lbs, my current Kuat NV 2.0 -that burly beast- weighs 52 lbs, the Kuat Transfer 2-bike is 37 lbs, and Kuat's new Sherpa 2.0 is only 32 lbs ...32!!! I think you can see why I'm leaning toward the Sherpa 2.0. I didn't even mention my wrecked shoulder, but yeah that's a factor.

If I end up with the Sherpa 2.0 I will post a review here.
    You're not understanding how this works.

Buy a single version of the rack. Buy an add on kit that corresponds to the rack you bought. They are designed to be an easy add or subtract from the rack at the time you use the rack so you only use as much rack as you need at that particular moment. Adding or removing the add on takes less than a minute.

That also has the effect of splitting the rack into two lightweight pieces of roughly half the weight each. It also makes the rack much easier to store since each piece folds up. And you have your double rack. You can also add a third bike with an additional add on kit in the same manner and equally as fast.

You can put the rack on the car and attach the add on in about a minute or less with only one person even a child.

The only reason to buy the double rack as one unit is if you want to haul four bikes.

J.

mtbr member
    You're not understanding how this works.

Buy a single version of the rack. Buy an add on kit that corresponds to the rack you bought. They are designed to be an easy add or subtract from the rack at the time you use the rack so you only use as much rack as you need at that particular moment. Adding or removing the add on takes less than a minute.

That also has the effect of splitting the rack into two lightweight pieces of roughly half the weight each. It also makes the rack much easier to store since each piece folds up. And you have your double rack. You can also add a third bike with an additional add on kit in the same manner and equally as fast.

You can put the rack on the car and attach the add on in about a minute or less with only one person even a child.

The only reason to buy the double rack as one unit is if you want to haul four bikes.

J.
    Ohhh, start with the single and add on- now I get it! I never carry 4 bikes, only 2 at most. This makes the 1Up rack my top contender. Thanks so much for explaining!
    Bionically Modified

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ohhh, start with the single and add on- now I get it! I never carry 4 bikes, only 2 at most. This makes the 1Up rack my top contender. Thanks so much for explaining!
    Great!

Each part is easily carried by a child and they fold up so you can hang them individually on the wall in your garage (what I do). I, literally, can put my receiver in the hitch, retrieve and add the rack, retrieve and add the add on and mount the bike in <2 minutes.

We bought ours when the single bike version could be up to 4 bikes with three add ons. We've traveled probably close to 20,000 miles that way with bikes on the rack with no problems. They don't allow that now because of 1.25" hitch not being able to handle that weight even though the rack can. We've only used ours in a 2" receiver but it has the ability to work in both by removing the adaptor piece on the tongue. But the rack has had nothing break and looks just like when I got it after all these years.

J.