Kuat Sherpa 2.0 2-bike vs. RockyMounts SplitRail 2-bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Kuat Sherpa 2.0 2-bike vs. RockyMounts SplitRail 2-bike

Hey guys/gals, I'm in the market for a new hitch rack, and this time around I'm going platform style....I am SO tired of "hanging" my bikes on my old Yakima.

That being said, my budget really is about $500 +/- $50.

I've done a TON of Youtube watching, and I've gone to more than a few stores to put "hands on" some of the more popular offerings out there (that I could find).

I've narrowed it down to what I think are 2 good choices:

Kuat Sherpa 2.0 $498.00 This is a beautiful rack visually, and appears to be of great quality, the reviews I've read seem to feel the same way. I looked at one in person, and was very impressed with it (would LOVE the NV 2.0, but it's just too far out of budget).

Rockymounts SplitRail $499.95 I haven't been able to see this one in person, but the videos I've watched make it look really nice, I love the location of the hinge release, and if it's as much metal as it looks, I'd assume it's dang durable. I really dig the spartan look of it.

Both of these racks fit my budget, both seem to have great reviews, both will fit my needs well (I think), is one better/worse than the other? Is one more suited to one type of bike than the other? Does one have better customer service/warranty than the other? Is there a different rack (inside my budget) that I should look at?

I'd prefer to complete the purchase this weekend, so I can take advantage of any holiday sales I come across.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

mtbr member
    Thanks to all that replied to this thread!

Thanks to the Labor Day sales, I grabbed a Kuat NV 2.0 for $551.65 shipped to my door!!! Score!

Now I can't wait for it to arrive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Splitrail available for $325, less if you use Activejunky to get it.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/rockym...hitch-rack?s=a

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by BassistBiker View Post
    Thanks to all that replied to this thread!

Thanks to the Labor Day sales, I grabbed a Kuat NV 2.0 for $551.65 shipped to my door!!! Score!

Now I can't wait for it to arrive.

I just got one, too. Very nice rack and will work with my fatbike. Decent color match with my Cherokee, too!

Kuat Sherpa 2.0 2-bike vs. RockyMounts SplitRail 2-bike-hit-3.jpg
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner View Post
    Splitrail available for $325, less if you use Activejunky to get it.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/rockym...hitch-rack?s=a
    Hey thanks for the reply!

I saw that sale too, but after reading further into the SplitRail, I found it's max tire width was 3", so if I ever decided to get a fat bike (which is likely), that rack wouldn't cut it, so, I'm glad I grabbed the Kuat...considerably more money to be sure, but also is more "future proof" for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    I just got one, too. Very nice rack and will work with my fatbike. Decent color match with my Cherokee, too!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hit 3.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	1214983
    NICE!! That looks sweet!

I'm super stoked about this rack, the wait to get it is going to suck...

I'm guessing that Jeep has the 2" receiver? My Equinox only has the 1 1/4" so I'm hoping the 1 1/4" version rack "stability" is good...pretty much every review I've read/watched is the 2" model.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    D
    Can you share where you got you Kuat on sale? My search fu must be off as I canít find any discounts. Thx!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbornia View Post
    Can you share where you got you Kuat on sale? My search fu must be off as I canít find any discounts. Thx!
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/col...1-1-4-receiver

That link is for the 1 1/4" model, but all of them are on sale using the Labor Day sale (15% off).

$649 - 15% ($97.35) = $551.65 plus free shipping!...but you'll need to buy today.

I've used these guys before, they're a pleasure to deal with, and always ship quick, I usually have my stuff within 2-3 days.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks!

@njcshreds
    Kuat racks are awesome. The racks themselves are awesome and their customer service is simply amazing. Their lifetime warranty is real - not a gimmick. I had some parts sent to me for my OG Sherpa recently and they arrived super quick. There was little hassle in getting the parts. It was just a couple emails back and forth.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingNowhere View Post
    Kuat racks are awesome. The racks themselves are awesome and their customer service is simply amazing. Their lifetime warranty is real - not a gimmick. I had some parts sent to me for my OG Sherpa recently and they arrived super quick. There was little hassle in getting the parts. It was just a couple emails back and forth.
    Good to hear, when you drop this kind of money on a hitch rack, you hope there will be good service to back it up!

I'm stoked I went with the Kuat NV 2.0, I put my Yakima up on FB market place and had it sold in less than 2 hours (I didn't expect it to sell so fast), so now I'm putting the bike in the back of the Equinox until the Kuat arrives, and according to FedEx I should see it Thurs!

@njcshreds
    Good to hear, when you drop this kind of money on a hitch rack, you hope there will be good service to back it up!

I'm stoked I went with the Kuat NV 2.0, I put my Yakima up on FB market place and had it sold in less than 2 hours (I didn't expect it to sell so fast), so now I'm putting the bike in the back of the Equinox until the Kuat arrives, and according to FedEx I should see it Thurs!
    Nice! You won't regret it. I love mine.

I've only had 2 issues with mine. My downhill bike is too slack and long to fit - I need a ratchet strap to keep it securely in there (I feel better with it on, it probably would stay). And my plus bike is just a little too fat. Again, I use a ratchet strap just to be safe but it probably would be fine.

Many happy miles with it!
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! The Rack Arrived!

I got my NV 2.0 today, I spent about 30 mins after work putting it together, pretty easy, but best with 2 sets of hands.

I tossed the bikes on as soon as I got home and headed for the trail...this rack performed every bit as good as it looks, I couldn't be happier.

Here's a pic! The color of the rack actually matches my car, unplanned bonus!

And yes, I'm aware the clamp arms are facing the wrong way to be in the "stowed" position, I just grabbed the bikes off and tossed it up for a quick pic before I lost the daylight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kuat Sherpa 2.0 2-bike vs. RockyMounts SplitRail 2-bike-kuat-rack.jpg