Kuat Racks- NV- Mtbr.com

Thread: Kuat Racks- NV

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Kuat Racks- NV

Anyone thinking of getting a Kuat NV rack? So far, the T2 simply outguns the Saris and Yakima but that NV has some potential. It is built of Aluminum (mostly anyway) has a built-in workstand, has a 12" spread versus the industry standard of 9", and easily fits 29er tires. Plus it weighs 45 lbs, which is pretty light The Sais weighs 65 lbs.

I think I may have to betray the T2 and get a Kuat since I need a rack for my new vehicle. If anyone has one already, post up please with likes and dislikes. Pics courtesy of backcountryracks.com.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kuat Racks- NV-kuat1.jpg  

Kuat Racks- NV-kuat2.jpg  

Kuat Racks- NV-kuat3.jpg  

Kuat Racks- NV-kuat4.jpg  

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    I have a T2, but that built-in workstand idea is awesome!

LP

mtbr member
    Neil right? don't forget... the T2 spars are adjustable front to back(distance between bikes) if you just carry 2 bikes and side to side ~3" each way to avoid bar/seat interference. The thule spars are held on with replaceable clamps ($20 for the two parts) if they get damaged in a rear-end or parking lot bump....trust me, this happens a lot! The design of the clamps actually prevents the spars from getting damaged, saving a lot of money. Are the spars adjustable, replaceable on the Kuat? Are parts readily available?

Thule also has a lifetime warranty and lots of places stock them so you can get a good deal...20% off at REI with your member deal.

I don't really have any experience with Kuat so can't judge but they sent their sales info to me, made one call when I was too busy to talk at work then never called back... so we didn't stock them, that may have been an oversight but they were a new company looking for good dealers and it may be an indicator of their customer service.

The repair stand option on the Kuat is a good idea but how well does it function? Looks a bit cheesy from what I can see(small diameter clamp, I wouldn't use it on carbon)

I personally wouldn't like to be a guinea pig for any new product from a relatively new company if I was paying retail without say, an REI returns policy(no questions asked) and for what it's worth I had the pick of the bunch when it came to buying a bike rack and I went straight for the T2, didn't think twice. Most companies make some good stuff and some not so good stuff, the T2 is one of, if not THE best thing Thule do.

Remember the impartial advice I gave you about the Thule vs Yakima boxes? just saying

Hopefully someone'll chime in with some good info on the Kuat rack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Agreed, you make some good points, Paul. I did take your advice on the box, by the way. That Skybox Pro is SOLID and I agree the T2 is the best product Thule makes.

Kuat is a small operation and I have been doing some research on the rack. They just started to produce the NV and It really looks promising so far. I don't how how solid it is but will be checking one out soon. The workstand is probably designed more for trailhead or light work but a nice feature for doing small stuff while on a trip. It is simply a nice-to-have. If/when I end up getting one, I'll come by your shop and let you check it out. Otherwise, the T2 is always going to be my choice for how easy it is to use and adjust.

mtbr member
    cool but I don't work at RockyMounts anymore, I quit in May and toured the Great Divide MTB route!

mtbr member
    quote:the T2 spars are adjustable front to back(distance between bikes..i think this is important too..and the bars can be adjusted so both bike wont be alighned to where one bike handle bars wont touch the other bikes seat given more room....great product to hold our large investments..good luck...
    Respect the Aina....Aloha

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    longman: I didn't know you had quit. You gotta tell me more about your tour. You working anywhere, are independently wealthy, or just being a bum?

EDIT- I still have the T2 and am not giving it up either way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    longman: I didn't know you had quit. You gotta tell me more about your tour. You working anywhere, are independently wealthy, or just being a bum?

EDIT- I still have the T2 and am not giving it up either way.
    Basically, I've wanted to ride the Divide for 11 years and the timing was right, it was epic. I just had a back op on Tuesday and am waiting to hear about a job at Eldora. I'll be uploading my photos to mtbr from my tour and my two week mtb road trip with my English mates as soon as the weather is shitty and everyone needs some stoke

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That is awesome- looking forward to the pictures and narratives. Eldora- not too familiar but near Nederland, right? Hopefuly, we can catch up for a ride next season.

locked - time out

Wink

nice rack!
    Last edited by hygieneboy; 11-12-2009 at 02:25 PM.

I heart the drops
    I have used mine a couple time now and it works great I think it might be a little high on my small car I can feel it catching the wind. It's better than scrapping it on every speed bump or rocky road I discover.
    Kuat Racks- NV-kuat-rack-007.jpg

Kuat Racks- NV-kuat-rack-001.jpg

Kuat Racks- NV-kuat-rack-005.jpg

Kuat Racks- NV-kuat-rack-003.jpg

Kuat Racks- NV-kuat-rack-008.jpg
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

locked - time out

Wink

2 bike KUAT BETA, mine weighs 11 lbs and folds flat to fit in the trunk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kuat Racks- NV-cimg2086.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0