Kuat NV 2" on a Car?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Kuat NV 2" on a Car?

Has anyone put a Kuat NV rack onto a car like an older Carolla or Civic with a 2" receiver?

I'm asking because I am in the process of obtaining another car, which most likely will be an older Toyota Carolla or Honda Civic typer vehicle. My plan was to have a custom hitch made for the car, so that it has a 2" receiver. Not to tow anything or to have a 4 bike rack on it, just for the security and less wobbling that the smaller receiver has.

But the Kuat NV's main spar/frame/thing is a straight tube, which is my concern. Have any of you done this and had any serious problems with the car bottoming out on the rack? Obviously inclines and some driveways might be a problem, but I never take it on any torturous roads, it is pretty much all pavement driving.

mtbr member

Re: Kuat NV 2" on a Car?

Yes. This is something I welded together myself. 3 years and no problems. It also serves to keep the rack from scraping. The only thing that scrapes is the adapter, so no big deal.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Sweet. Do you by any chance have a picture further back showing more of the car and rack?

mtbr member

Re: Kuat NV 2" on a Car?

"Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

code: mtbr2011
    I'm not sure I understand why you'd want a 2" receiver to eliminate wobble? The wobble is solved by using the bike rack...whether it's 2" or 1 1/4", you're not going to have any wobble.
    it's your car, but seems like you could invest in a pretty sweet dropper seatpost instead of spending the extra $$ having something custom made that doesn't do anything more for you than a prescribed 1 1/4" hitch coupled with the NV designed for that hitch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    When I say wobble, I mean the entire rack wobbling side to side when you hit a bump in the road or on uneven pavement. This happens on my current rack a little too much for my liking. The wobbling occurs along the tube that comes out of the hitch. The hitch itself and rack mounted to the hitch are snug and secure.

My thoughts were that going up in size to 2inch would eliminate most of that, due to the greater diameter and strength. It would also allow me to easily use the rack in my friend's trucks without having to worry about the silly adapter.

But you are correct, saving that cash would be nice.

code: mtbr2011
    your problem is not with your hitch, it's with your rack...I can assure that your Kuat NV is not going to have any wobble because it has a little wedge that tightens against the inside of the hitch. Your current rack either doesn't have that, or you don't have it tight enough...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    That's what I tried to explain haha.

The rack is tight in the hitch. There is no play. Its the rack that is flexing. The tube that comes out of the hitch is what is flexing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I don't think you're going to have a problem with bottoming out as long as you have a good hitch.

Torklift makes a 2" reciever for many new vehicles now. Not some custom hack job, but a very professionally designed hitch. The added bonus is it's a "stealth" hitch design, which tries to hide as much of the hitch as possible up and close to the vehicle. This means the receiver box will be as high and tucked in as possible, giving you the best possible "departure angle". A standard hitch doesn't always get as high or as tucked into the bumper as they could be. Each car is different though.

Here's one for the civic: Torklift Central Eco-Hitch Stealth Hidden 2" 2012+ Honda Civic Coupe/Sedan/Hybrid Trailer Hitch | Torklift Central