kuat nv or 1up quick rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

kuat nv or 1up quick rack

im looking to get a new hitch rack its either going to be a 1up quick rack or a kuat nv . i need to be able to carry my specialized sirrus,camber,and hardrock not at the same time but i need something that can handle the different tire sizes. so if you have any sugestions opinions or complaints on either i would love to hear them.if you had to choose one which would it be and why thanks in advance.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Not sure if you read it yet, but I recently replaced my Kuat Sherpa with a 1UP. Here is my comparison post:

http://forums.mtbr.com/9052332-post760.html

FYI, don't get caught up with the pretty gold anodize on the Kuat, if it's anything like my Sherpa, the color didn't even last a whole season.

mtbr member
    I have the Kuat NV1. At first I thought it was the ultimate rack. However year 1.5 later, I am not so sure. The arms that slide down onto your wheels to secure the bike do not slide nearly as easy as it use to, and I have had to add some lubrication to them occasionally.

My biggest gripe is the anti sway device. That thing is really easy to break. I never really get a positive feeling when it is engaged enough. If and when you go to replace those parts after you have broken them, you will see a really hack job of design and assembly that gets hidden inside the tongue.

The rack does swivel away from the vehicle, but it is constantly in the way any time I want to get into my hatch. When it is folded down it makes entry to hatch to put groceries in annoying because my legs are constantly rubbing and interfering with rack.

Sorry for the rant, overall the NV1 is a decent rack, but I have my complaints. If I were to do it again, I would give the 1Up a very strong look.
    Last edited by Adim_X; 03-01-2012 at 03:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I don't know about the Kaut, but I've owned the 1up for a couple of years now and am very happy with it. If you are going to haul 4 bikes definitely get the 2" hitch version. It's heavier but has little no no sway when hauling 4 bikes.

mtbr member
    Edthesped

I've asked this in the 1up thread, but didn't get any replies. I basically wanted to know how much sway movement there is with the rack. Will I need to adjust handlebars and/or stems to keep them from rubbing each other.

psycho cyclo addict
    I purchased an NV roughly 1 year ago and I've been quite happy with it- chose it over the 1up. Here's a good bit of info Kuat NV Bike Rack Review Kuat Bike Racks

I leave mine on the car ~90% of the time and haven't had any issues so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SOFTBUTT View Post
    Edthesped

... I basically wanted to know how much sway movement there is with the rack. Will I need to adjust handlebars and/or stems to keep them from rubbing each other.
    Sway: I don't know how to measure sway to give a definitive answer, but I can't move the bikes when they are clamped in, it's a very stable rack.

Adjustments: the trays are long enough to place the bikes off center so handlebars & seats don't touch, I've carried several different bikes and it works well.

mtbr member

thanks for the help it is appreciated

thanks for all the info guys it is trully appreciated i am going to go with the 1up for its simplicity and lack of plastic components.i already have cables to lock my bike up with and am getting a repair stand for the garage/trunk for repairs wherever and whenever they may happen.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 05kas05 View Post
    thanks for all the info guys it is trully appreciated i am going to go with the 1up for its simplicity and lack of plastic components.i already have cables to lock my bike up with and am getting a repair stand for the garage/trunk for repairs wherever and whenever they may happen.
    You absolutely won't be disappointed. Almost 70k miles with mine and no complaints.
    Last edited by racerwad; 03-01-2012 at 07:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SOFTBUTT View Post
    Edthesped

I've asked this in the 1up thread, but didn't get any replies. I basically wanted to know how much sway movement there is with the rack. Will I need to adjust handlebars and/or stems to keep them from rubbing each other.
    I almost always haul 4 bikes on mine and depending on the bikes I may have to adjust a seat up or down. Any grief caused by moving the seat is offset by the ease of loading and unloading of the bikes. I typically have all 4 bikes loaded and am on my way before others have 2 bikes loaded.

As for sway...

With the 1 1/4" / 2" hitch rack I experienced what I would call disconcerting sway with 4 bikes loaded and negligible with three bikes, with two bikes sway was non existent.

With the new 2" rack, yes I unloaded the 1 1/4" rack, the movement I see in the rear view with four bikes is slightly more than I saw with the 1 1/4" rack loaded with two bikes, I'm at the point where I don't pay much attention anymore.

I hope this helps.

edit: If I were to need a new rack I would purchase another 1up rack without hesitation.
    Last edited by edthesped; 03-01-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0