Just wanted to share....1-1/4” vs 2” receivers for Yakima and Thule platform racks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Just wanted to share....1-1/4” vs 2” receivers for Yakima and Thule platform racks

So I was looking for a used platform style rack for hauling bikes around. We camp a lot, ride local trails in Orange County, and I use a 05 Subaru Forester as my tow vehicle behind the RV. I also am in the process of building a Overland rig out of a 05 Lexus GX470. The racks come in 2” and 1-1/4”. I wanted the 2” since my RV, Lexus, and most other vehicles if buddies ever wanted to borrow it. Unfortunately on the Forester, it is hard to find a 2” trailer hitch receiver. So I bought the 1.25” one. Got out the grinder, sawzall and welder and made my own! I am pretty sure most welding shops would not want to do this as the time involved would be in excess of what most people would want to pay. They would just get the 1.25-2” adapter. I do not like using adapters and they also put the rack further off the back of the car and you can have clearance issues.

Pics s on my instagram @ericksgarage

since 4/10/2009
    Putting a 1.25" hitch rack on an overland rig? On an RV? Great way to trash your rack and your bikes. I guarantee that both Yakima and Thule will say in the manuals NOT to use on the back of an RV. I've seen enough bent/sagging racks on the backs of RV's that I definitely wouldn't cheap out/hack my way through that.

There are 2" hitches for subies. I have one. No way would I ever use a 1.25 hitch unless I had no other choice.

And no, I'm not following your instagram to look at pics. Post them here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Putting a 1.25" hitch rack on an overland rig? On an RV? Great way to trash your rack and your bikes. I guarantee that both Yakima and Thule will say in the manuals NOT to use on the back of an RV. I've seen enough bent/sagging racks on the backs of RV's that I definitely wouldn't cheap out/hack my way through that.

There are 2" hitches for subies. I have one. No way would I ever use a 1.25 hitch unless I had no other choice.

And no, I'm not following your instagram to look at pics. Post them here.
    I read it as he bought an 1.25" hitch and made it into a 2"

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Harold, to clarify, I took a draw tite 1.25 and cut of the 1.25 and welded a 2” on. It is stronger now than any store bought 2” subie receiver. For a2005 Forester, 2” receivers are very hard to come by. Trust me, if I could buy one easily and have it shipped before my upcoming trip, I would have. Maybe I was unclear in my post. All of my other hitches are 2”. Hence why I didn’t want one of my vehicles to be 1.25”. I tried to post pics, but they wouldn’t post because they were too large and didn’t feel like editing at the moment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks. I thought I was clear.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericksgarage View Post
    Thanks. I thought I was clear.
    I thought you hacked up the bike rack, not the hitch.

Still be careful with rv use, though. Most racks aren't rated for that.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk