Just Venting about Uhaul- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Just Venting about Uhaul

So for my birthday I got a Thule Doubletrack. Very excited to keep my bike outta the car and stop removing the wheel and saddle. In order to use this rack I needed a hitch installed on my 07 outback. I didn't feel like doing it myself so i ordered it through uhaul.

I ordered it on 8/26 to install on 9/5 through the website. After I place my order it tells me online i will receive a confirmation email and a call from the location. I got neither, yet my card was billed. So I go to the site to confirm the set up on 8/28 or 29. "yea, no problem, i see it in the system."

I check in a few other times prior to install directly with the site and with uhaul main number. Once I was actually told by the main number that it was at the site as of 9/4 and schedule me for 10:30am on 9/5. Great! I'm looking forward to doing a trip sat. 9/5 no word from the store So i call at 9am. Nope we dont have it yet but maybe its coming in today's delivery. Just come at 10:30 that's when the truck comes.

No thanks, just call me and tell me its there or not.

obviously they dont call....i call at 11. No sir its not here. I call 800 number to complain...get no where. I get a call back around 11:10...."uh, sorry sir, i just figured out that your hitch was never ordered" WTF!

So he tells me "listen man, i ordered it today and paid for the expedited shipping myself. It will be here Friday at 10:30 and I can install then." I'm not happy about that but what can i do? At least i'm still riding saturday.

Get a call today, "sir your hitch is back ordered".

MF'ers, you've had my money for 2 weeks, I paid for a service on 9/5 you are now telling me, ON 9/5, i cant have it until 9/10 which i dont even really believe you will have it by then as its backordred. Unacceptable.

To shorten this story up, the day i started trying to get uhaul to do it i first called local stores to see if they had it and could install. None did they would all have to order but one tells me there is one in DE about 40 mins from my house. I call them that day, they have it, but cant install that day because they are booked. I told them never mind bc i could only do a weekend. So I just transferred the online order to DE, 40 minutes out of my way, to ensure its on my car this weekend.

During this whole ordeal speaking with various people in various locations I was never offered anything aside from a half hearted apology. So long as the hitch is successfully installed on my car saturday that will be the last time i ever use uhaul for anything.

On the plus side there is a trail I can ride about a mile from the uhaul in de so I'll drive down with my bike in the cargo, front wheel off, saddle off, bike rack on the floor, ride some de trails I'll probably otherwise never see, and god willing drive back home with my bike on the rack.

/rant

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Buy it from etrailer.com and install it yourself.
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
    Trek 9800 OLCV, XT upgrade 26er
    KHS Fleetwood
    Schwinn 20" Fastback 5 speed stick shift

mtbr member
    You really cant expect much from uhaul. My bro works at uhaul. He is 18, fresh out of highschool, making just above minimum wage. When it comes to employees you basically get what you pay for. He tells me stories about some of the ridiculous actions of his co-workers. Basically, Uhaul is happy if their employees simply show up for work and dont steal the cash bag at the end of the day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Sorry about your experience, seems like nobody knows what is going on where they work anymore. (Sadly i see this problem at a lot more places besides u-haul).

On a side note, what do you think about the Thule doubletrack? I have never seen a display model of it at REI or any other shops to test it, but it sounds like a good rack for alot less money than the T2. Is it well built and beefy? Is the ratchet system nice on the arms?
    I checked out the T2 at REI a few weeks ago and the frame was very stout, the only problem i saw was the teeth and ratchet release mechanism needed to be finagled and jiggled in order to catch and release.......(i think this was only a problem because a million people have been playing with the display in REI)
    2009 Trek Fuel EX8 Black/White

mtbr member
    If I could do it all over again I would have ordred it from etrailer.

HondoMoto sad to say I can only give you my experience assembling it and playing with it on the floor. I haven't been able to attach it to anything and put it on a car.

Its beefy, its heavy. It appears to be very solid and if you can get it at REI for 20% off I think its a great deal. Comes out to about 240 and you know between REI and Thule if you ever have a problem it will be taken care of.

I also briefly checked out the T2 at REI and you can see the quality difference. The doubletrack is nice and worth 240. The T2 is really nice and i'm sure worth the money if you can swing it.

The ratchet mechanism seems to be pretty solid. when i set the arm height you can get it to slip downward but not upward so that's good. I noticed the same thing someone pointed out in a review that the mast (arm with the 2 hooks) has some wiggle room. If you tighten the bolts on it its stiff....but then you can't release the mast without loosening the bolts. I emailed Thule about that and was told it was part of the design. Bikes are going to have some degree of movement on any rack and they didn't want the mast so solid that if the bike moves a little the arm is putting even more pressure on the tube. If the mast has slight wiggle room (which is what it is, slight) then it moves with the bike. It might sound like crap but it makes sense to me. I really can't tell you until I use it though. if the wiggle seems too much i'll just tighten the bolt.

Hopefully I'll get the chance to tell you about using it on saturday. One thing I can tell you today is that it IS heavy. I'm a 30 year old guy and I dont anticipate it being an issue for me but if you were someone who can't lift and maneuver it I could see it being an issue.

mtbr member
    Ok So I now have the hitch installed and have used the rack twice. There is some sway which is expected but its mostly slight side to side during turns. There are two large bolts which were pre assembled that connect the actual rack bars to the mechanism that allows it to adjust from horizontal to vertical via the hitch switch. After my first ride I tightened those not realizing they weren't fully tightened out of the box. You can tighten those as much as you want because they dont affect any moving parts. That helped with sway a little bit.

From things i've noticed from other reviews: The buckles on the wheel trays seem like they can pop open but only when a bike ISN'T on them. I think it needs the pressure to keep them tight. So far I haven't had a problem with that and dont expect to.

I've heard people complain the mast arm can get "stuck." The thing to pay attention to is that its not a force issue. Because its a moving part that is bolted into a track it has to be in the right position to move. I think sometimes people feel it and think they need to pull it up as hard as they can (and can't get it) but what you have to do is just wiggle it slightly while trying to open it and it will just pop right out.

The mechanism to tighten the wheel trays to the bar can be tricky. That takes a bit of force to get them all the way down securely.

My bike has a pretty steep top tube and I can only align the bike about 3-4 inches up from where the top tube meets the seat tube which is ideally where you would want it. I dont see this being a problem at all. When I load the bike up on there i lower the arm just enough to keep it from falling over and then i tighten the wheel straps. Then I push the mast arm all the way down. Once you have it in place I recommend really putting some force on it and getting it to go one more "click" and then I feel like its really secure.

All in all i'm happy so far, but again, only 2 trips so far. Its really quick and easy to load the bikes on and for me its easy to load onto the hitch. I have a 1.25 hitch so I dont have any hitch wiggle at all. Lining up and tightening down the threaded screw takes me all of 2 minutes.

The locking devices are cool but obviously more of a deterrent then actual theft protection.

I feel like the only way the bikes could hit your car or each other is in some type of failure.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    This post is more for folks that will search in the future for help on a 2007 Subaru Outback hitch.... not so much you.

For future reference, E-trailer is even overpriced. They always seem to be ~$50 MORE than Amazon.... and if you happen to have Amazon Prime (I do), you get free 2 day shipping or can pay $4 for overnight.

E-trailer $173.95: Curt Trailer Hitch for Subaru Outback Wagon 2007 - 12284

Amazon $129.22: Curt Manufacturing 12284 Class II Receiver : Amazon.com : Automotive

I keep trying to put the word out there for folks to look to Amazon for car related stuff (replacement parts, hitches, etc) as they are usually WELL below the other places.

And having a hitch rack becomes a way of life.... once you can go biking without taking it apart, you will never go back. :-)
    2018 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (commuter, gravel, fun))

mtbr member
    I'm sold on the hitch rack after 2 rides. I bet I can load it up as fast or faster then people fastening straps to their trunks. I personally have no interest in putting a bike on my roof. Wind drag aside I dont feel like lifting my 35lb bike over my shoulders and trying to line it up in the tray. Nor do I want to have to carry a step stool with me to use it.

I got an extra ratcheting wrench to keep in my car. Makes the hitch bolt a lot easier and quicker to do then the tool that came with it.

Members who have read this thread: 0