Jeep Wrangler Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Jeep Wrangler Question

A few days ago, my Jeep Wrangler was broken into. Given my soft top, I guess it was only a matter of time. Being as I don't keep anything in it, nothing was stolen. But the criminal slashed my front window. (I have half front doors). I've looked through quadratec.com and jcwhitney.com for replacements, but I'm looking for other options.

If anyone knows of a good place to get a new window for a decent price, please let me know. I was talking to a friend who mentioned that he had a kit where you would cut out the old plastic panel and put a new one in with heavy duty velcro. I haven't found anything like this thus far in my search.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Either you rode today, or you didn't.

conjoinicorned
    you'd be best to go with quadratec, it's high quality stuff. the patch kits do exist, but in my experience they turn yellow pretty quick, poor quality at best.

that's why i never, ever locked my wrangler, so they could climb in at will instead of ripping my windows open.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Ebay?

Have you tried ebay. This should be the time when people are getting ride of the summer parts. Someone may have some skins you need.

Lost my signal...
    Same here - I rarely locked mine. I had a lockable bolted-down trunk in the back for "valuables".

Try visiting jeepforum.com and look around there (both for threads related to your question, and the "for sale" area).

It's sad, but as soon as you figure out how to unzip the rear windows, nothing's safe.

You might look for the upper sliding replacement windows. Barely extra security, but I hear they're nice on days when you want to "crack" the window open without the flapping.

Boulder chucker
    I had the same thing happen about 6 months ago. Can't believe how stupid these guys are! The doors are always open and never anything inside. Try calling Best Top's customer service. Sorry I don't have the number (it's at home) but the folks at Quadratec will give it to you. Once I explained my situation to Best Top they offered to sell me one replacement upper door/window instead of buying the pair. The way it works is you cut the old one off the metal frame and put the new one over it. The new one is secured with velcro and works well. Just get the factory equivalent material.
    Last edited by bigwaved; 10-11-2006 at 12:06 PM.

Head First
    What about getting a hard top at a junk yard. You can get them pretty cheap there.

Red trail or blue trail?
    May 2005

www.4wd.com

I have used this site for several of my Jeep upgrades and they are top notch. I would recommend Besttop and nothing else. You may pay a bit more but the quality is definately worth it. There is a huge aftermarket for Wranglers. Unfortunately there is a bunch of crap out there as well. Don't skimp on stuff like plastic windows or tops. They will flap, fit incorrectly and yellow quickly over time. Sometimes it pays in the long run to spend a bit extra up front.
    Remember to keep the rubber side down. It hurts a lot less that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beolin
    What about getting a hard top at a junk yard. You can get them pretty cheap there.
    Jeep parts tend to keep a lot of value even in a JY.
    Look around in the FoeSale sections on:
    www.jeepsunlimited.com
    www.jeepforum.com
    www.greatlakes4x4.com
    www.pirate4x4.com

Should be able to find something somewhere. Are you looking for TJ or YJ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I had mine broken in twice before I found a hardtop. I paid $600 with full steel doors.
    I looked a long time before I found that hardtop. Expect to pay anywhere from $1000-$2500
    Look in craiglists.com, the recycler or any other type of used sales papers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If I still had her I'd give you some parts.
    Hit by Mustang doing 70 almost head on, I was going about 45. She held up like a tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Here's the Mustang
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dirt Eater
    Jan 2005
    I leave my windows down unless its raining. And never have the back windows in it unless its COLD or a hurricane is coming. Never had anything stolen (nothing to steal) but it has been gone through a couple times. I would call bestop, their customer serivce rocks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It's a TJ.

I considered the hard top idea, especially with the winter coming, but I live in an apartment and wouldnt have a place to store it spring - fall.

Thanks for the other website suggestions. I would consider getting the "sliders" for the front windows but I heard some mixed reviews about them...anyone have any firsthand experiences?

PS: It looked like that jeep was pretty sweet before that mustang decided to play bumper cars...
    Either you rode today, or you didn't.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quadratec, Acmejeepparts.com, a local jeep club, those would be my original 3 ideas. Is it a yj or a tj? If it's a TJ you can get some full doors for it and not have to change anything around (warmer in the winter) but it won't work with the YJ. I leave mine unlocked year round, I don't know if anyone has ever broke into it but there's nothing in there to take.

go ride you crumb-bum
    May 2006
    get the sliding windows. make sure the doors are kept unlocked. don't keep anything important inside. out of almost 6 years, the only thing missing is a goldfinger cassette tape. not bad,,,

Members who have read this thread: 0