Jeep Wrangler- Mtbr.com

Thread: Jeep Wrangler

Masher

Jeep Wrangler

I've got my heart pretty much set on an 08 Jeep Wrangler and I'm probably going to be buying it right after the new year. I seem to remember they were having some problems developing a rack due to the spare tire in back. Is there a solution for it out of any of the big names.

Also, and this might not be pertinent here, it has to have Navigation. Pretty much I want the Sahara with the power package and the MyGig infotainment system in the Limited version (two doors). My problem is I can't seem to find a 2 door Sahara with navigation. I've seen a few Rubicons with it, no Saharas. Anybody out there driving a two door with the MYyGig and do you like it? And it's not that I don't like the Rubicon but I'm not doing much, if any, towing and the 4.10 axle hurts the mileage which is already bad enough.

Anyways, any experienced Jeep people, I appreciate your input.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    if your only hang up is the hitch rack.. there is any easy solution.. buy what ever big name rack you want and take it to a metal fab shop.. should be easy to find one in any city.. get them to weld an extension onto the part that goes in the hitch, so it will stick out past the tire on the back.. make sure you tell them how much weight you plan on sticking back there, so they can reinforce the extension.. i havent seen any thing like this posted on here, but my dad had this done to his hitch rack on our old van.. and my brother has the same thing done to his hitch rack on his pathfinder.. both the van and the pathfinder carry the spare tire like the wrangler..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thule T2

I had a 97.

If you don't have a reciver put one on.

I paid about $120 shipped from quadratec or jc whitney.

The thule comes in 1 1/4 or 2" receiver.

It's for 2 bikes. If you have a need for 4 you MUST buy the 2".

It easily clears the tire. Folds up.

Pretty studly rack.

mtbr member
    Hey Mister C, I have an '07 Sahara (2 door) and this is the rack that I use. It has worked out very well for me:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4411

If you want a big name, they all produce a version of this design.

As far as the navigation goes, I saw several Saharas with it while I was shopping but opted to skip it, as I didn't need it. Also, my Sahara has 4.10's with the towing pkg. With these gears and the stock 18" wheels, I average 19.3 mpg/city and 21.5 mpg/hwy.

Masher
    Quote Originally Posted by rfields4013
    Hey Mister C, I have an '07 Sahara (2 door) and this is the rack that I use. It has worked out very well for me:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4411

If you want a big name, they all produce a version of this design.

As far as the navigation goes, I saw several Saharas with it while I was shopping but opted to skip it, as I didn't need it. Also, my Sahara has 4.10's with the towing pkg. With these gears and the stock 18" wheels, I average 19.3 mpg/city and 21.5 mpg/hwy.
    Sounds great. Nice to know I can squeeze that mileage out of it. Hard to believe I can get that considering I have a Civic that only gets about 28 mpg highway. Also, I didn't know you could get the 4.10 axle on the Sahara, but only on the Rubicon.

Anyways, if it isn't too rude maybe you could let me know what you paid for the '07, PM is fine if you don't want to post it here, so I know where to start of with my dealer. When I build it at Jeep.com it is about 26k but I know the Rubicon's are up around the 30 range. I'm trying to get my payment as close to 400/mo. as possible and I'm pretty sure I will qualify for a sub 9% APR and if I don't I have a couple stellar credit ratings that will cosign for me.

As if I didn't already think that Jeep was a perfect car I find out that Chrysler/Jeep offers lifetime warranties now. I assume it's only the powertrain but thats great considering thats what seems to go first on American cars.

Thanks for all your help.

mtbr member
    Sticker was $27430 if I remember correctly, and I got it for $24,400 because it was an '07 and they needed room for the '08's. I also was looking at the Rubicon, but decided that I didn't really need one after doing some research. What I read in some 4x4 reviews was that the Sahara was a very capable off road performer for the average driver. If it helps, check with Olathe Chrysler/Jeep in Kansas City (Olathe, KS). They had several Saharas with the navigation system in stock and I am sure that your local dealer could get one shipped out there for you if you found one you liked.

Masher
    Thanks again. I'll do that.

mtbr member
    FWIW, mine had the customer preferred package 24G (4.10 gears, 375 watt sirius 6 disc infinity stereo, power pkg, 3 piece hard top, 4 speed auto, tow pkg, 18" wheels, and a few other odds and ends).

don't move for trees
    you could try talking to the people down at REI, they're usually really smart and actually know what they're talking about. they set me up with a great thule hitch that worked perfect with our truck and jeep, just got ride of it after 7 years of use, finally wore out.

I know you said you had your heart set on a Jeep. but you might want to check out the Nissan Xterra, lots more power, can fit 2 dh bikes in the back easy, size L and M frames. great at off roading, little better mileage, more creature comforts then jeep, and they ride nice, and can take a hell of a beating off road too
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I just traded my Xterra in for the jeep because the gas mileage was horrible. I was getting 15 mpg on the highway when I got rid of it. It was a very capable 4x4 and I never had any problems with it other than the mileage.

Masher
    I've had a crush on the Wrangler for a long time now but I do need to take it for a test drive. Still, I can't see myself not liking it.

mtbr member
    I think you will be amazed when you drive one. I used to have a '89 and I grew up in a family that had numerous CJ models throughout the years. They were very cool, but they do not come close when you compare them to the drive/ride quality of the new models. They have a larger footprint now (longer/wider wheelbase) and it makes a huge difference in handling. I think that you will be sold if you go drive one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by I3erto
    if your only hang up is the hitch rack.. there is any easy solution.. buy what ever big name rack you want and take it to a metal fab shop.. should be easy to find one in any city.. get them to weld an extension onto the part that goes in the hitch, so it will stick out past the tire on the back..
    Most hitch racks will easily clear that little stock spare tire. I had a hard time with my Jeep, since I'm running 35's (well, the diameter isn't the issue, but the width is at 12" wide), but U-Haul sells extensions and adapters pretty cheap, which allowed my rack to clear the tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have 99 wrangler and I love it.

The back has a cargo cage full of my camping/hiking/running gear

Have a drawer I made out of metal to hold a pistol and ammo

We Eagle scouts are a bit nuts when it comes to the outdoors and jeeps.

don't move for trees
    i totally agree, i'm an Eagle scout and alone on my second one, the family has had 6 so far
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

Members who have read this thread: 0