Jeep Patriot Anyone?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Jeep Patriot Anyone?

We just bought a pair of Specialized Crosstrails, but don't yet have a roof rack for the car. I am hoping that we will be able to get them in the back with the seats folded down when we go to pick them up at the bike shop on Friday.

Does anyone else have a Patriot? If so, did you get a roof rack and what did ya get? I am thinking that I would prefer to be able to keep the front wheel on the bike while mounted on the roof in order to save cargo space. Is it less safe to do that? Also, can you fit a pair of bikes in the back or do I need to borrow a van? Thanks a million!

CUE

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by cuevano5
    We just bought a pair of Specialized Crosstrails, but don't yet have a roof rack for the car. I am hoping that we will be able to get them in the back with the seats folded down when we go to pick them up at the bike shop on Friday.

Does anyone else have a Patriot? If so, did you get a roof rack and what did ya get? I am thinking that I would prefer to be able to keep the front wheel on the bike while mounted on the roof in order to save cargo space. Is it less safe to do that? Also, can you fit a pair of bikes in the back or do I need to borrow a van? Thanks a million!

CUE
    I was looking at a Patriot about a month ago. A friend has a Compass and can fit two bikes inside just removing the front tires.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I drove one for a few days. It's a pretty neat car/truck. It looks like a truck but it's low like a car. The mileage is supposed to be pretty good on it.

I had the 2.4 engine and it's pretty awful mated to the CVT transmission. It had no grunt and was just buzzy.

The cool surprise was the sound system. It was kickin! Aside from 4 big Boston Acoustics door speakers, it had a subwoofer and two forward facing speakers on the hatch. These speakers flip down for the parking lot party.

Man, I had it on Sirius radio Hot Jamz channel and was cruising like a gangsta.

more photos:
    http://gallery.carreview.com/showgallery.php?cat=571

fc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IPA will save America

Braaaapp!
    Looks nice, that black & white photo really looks cool.

I like the Patriot, wish my gf would have looked into them more. She was dead set on a Commander for a while, I am really glad she didn't get that battleship sized beast. Ended up with a Passat. Nice car, but still a car.

Bike to the Bone...
    Hi Francois

Nice! I almost bit the bullet on a Pat! It's very nice, I liked my test drive. It's not completely for off road but it can be ridden nice.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by adam728
    Looks nice, that black & white photo really looks cool.

I like the Patriot, wish my gf would have looked into them more. She was dead set on a Commander for a while, I am really glad she didn't get that battleship sized beast. Ended up with a Passat. Nice car, but still a car.
    Hey I got a Passat. Sweet car with the Turbo engine. Chipped power and still gets 32 mpg!

But alas, I can only dream about the house parties with the Patriot stereo..... http://picasaweb.google.com/fcebedo/...73249295283714 (video)

fc
    IPA will save America

Braaaapp!
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Hey I got a Passat. Sweet car with the Turbo engine. Chipped power and still gets 32 mpg!

But alas, I can only dream about the house parties with the Patriot stereo..... http://picasaweb.google.com/fcebedo/...73249295283714 (video)

fc
    It is a great car, you just can't stuff a couple of bikes in the back real easy. Luckily UPS tracking shows the hitch I ordered arrived today. Can't wait to get home!

Her's is the Turbo too. Couldn't convince her to get the 6 cylinder AWD one. Something about money.

I was surprised by her car. I have an 05 Malibu company car. Specs show same hp, curb weight within 50 lbs (although I make up for that advantage), and the Passat down on torque, although it peaks lower than the 3.5L V-6 Malibu. Sounds like a close match, right? HA! We went at it 0-40 mph about 5 times one day, and I never came close to loosing by anything less than a full car length.

Trying to get her to do a mod or two, but she refuses. Probably the most it will get is the hitch and a sub hidden somewhere inside.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by adam728
    It is a great car, you just can't stuff a couple of bikes in the back real easy. Luckily UPS tracking shows the hitch I ordered arrived today. Can't wait to get home!

Her's is the Turbo too. Couldn't convince her to get the 6 cylinder AWD one. Something about money.

I was surprised by her car. I have an 05 Malibu company car. Specs show same hp, curb weight within 50 lbs (although I make up for that advantage), and the Passat down on torque, although it peaks lower than the 3.5L V-6 Malibu. Sounds like a close match, right? HA! We went at it 0-40 mph about 5 times one day, and I never came close to loosing by anything less than a full car length.

Trying to get her to do a mod or two, but she refuses. Probably the most it will get is the hitch and a sub hidden somewhere inside.
    I had a VW Bora as a loaner for a bit. I was able to fit two bikes inside.

Members who have read this thread: 1