Jeep Cherokee 3.0l Diesel?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Jeep Cherokee 3.0l Diesel?

Saw a new Jeep Cherokee 3.0l Diesel today. Didn't know they were making them. People always complaining automakers don't offer enough diesel options in the US. Looks like Jeep is trying. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    Saw a new Jeep Cherokee 3.0l Diesel today. Didn't know they were making them. People always complaining automakers don't offer enough diesel options in the US. Looks like Jeep is trying. Thoughts?

Its like a 6k option from what I understand.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Ouch.

mtbr member
    Well, they have been making them...

Sadly, it seems demand is low, and obviously the price is a bit steep.

I'd love to get that engine and shoehorn it into a dual-range manual transmission Jeep Wrangler though!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AWDfreak
    Well, they have been making them...

Sadly, it seems demand is low, and obviously the price is a bit steep.

I'd love to get that engine and shoehorn it into a dual-range manual transmission Jeep Wrangler though!

From what I have herd now that Fiat owns Jeep and they are making a version of the wrangler for International Military use. The Diesel wrangler might happen in this country. Now if they can just fix the reliability issue.

mtbr member
    I couldn't find the option on Jeep's website. I found articles mentioning it as well as a wrangler that would get 25/36 or something. I was like WTF.
    But I was driving behind one today so I know that at least one person in the US has one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    if they put a diesel in a wrangler, i might someday own a chrysler. otherwise, not a chance. i've always had dreams of driving a CJ7 with a 7.3 powerstroke in it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    Its like a 6k option from what I understand.
    6K sounds about right. Added complication of a diesel motor, turbo and now that the diesel emission standards are as strict as the gasoline, the diesel emission system is expensive. The cost burden makes it difficult for automakers to make a profit. The volume is down too, so economy of scale in effect.

Diesel prices are lower, but still more the than gas, but I bet diesel will go back up again once the economy is back in swing.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Meanwhile, in Europe, just about EVERY car, including Jeeps, have diesels that are cost-competitive with their gas counterparts.

In theory, the diesel is supposed to be less complex, but now technology has his the diesel engine, too, and look at where we are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy
    6K sounds about right. Added complication of a diesel motor, turbo and now that the diesel emission standards are as strict as the gasoline, the diesel emission system is expensive. The cost burden makes it difficult for automakers to make a profit. The volume is down too, so economy of scale in effect.

Diesel prices are lower, but still more the than gas, but I bet diesel will go back up again once the economy is back in swing.
    Its attitudes like these which keep North America in the darks ages when it comes to engine options. The upcharge was only $2k and was well worth it. The engine offered was the same you see in the Mercedes. However due to Daimer and Chryslers split Jeep no longer offers this engine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    diesels in the US have a stigma. people think they're loud, smelly and for trucks. on top of that, the govt and the tree huggers like to push the hybrid thing. if you sit down with me and talk about it, i'll tell you all about how big of a scam hybrids are. lol, i love the review that puts the jetta tdi up against the prius. then when you hear reports out of washington telling the big 3 that they need to build smaller, more fuel efficient cars [ie, hybrids] because thats "what people want." which first of all, isn't true, and....... meh, i don't need to get started. the fact of the matter is that you can get a small car in europe that can and will get 70+ mpg (diesel), and make the same sort of power as a hybrid car. can anyone tell me what the cost of a new hybrid battery is, or how frequently it will need to be replaced? can anyone say what happens to the used battery? it's all a big joke if you ask me.

ok, im finished.

mtbr member
    diesel liberty's and grand cherokees have been in canada for a couple years now.

They are pretty gutless from what I've heard, especially the liberty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dane325
    diesels in the US have a stigma. people think they're loud, smelly and for trucks. on top of that, the govt and the tree huggers like to push the hybrid thing. if you sit down with me and talk about it, i'll tell you all about how big of a scam hybrids are. lol, i love the review that puts the jetta tdi up against the prius. then when you hear reports out of washington telling the big 3 that they need to build smaller, more fuel efficient cars [ie, hybrids] because thats "what people want." which first of all, isn't true, and....... meh, i don't need to get started. the fact of the matter is that you can get a small car in europe that can and will get 70+ mpg (diesel), and make the same sort of power as a hybrid car. can anyone tell me what the cost of a new hybrid battery is, or how frequently it will need to be replaced? can anyone say what happens to the used battery? it's all a big joke if you ask me.

ok, im finished.
    You should have elaborated more

At first, I bought the "OMFG gas-electric hybrids ftw" crap. Meh, not anymore. Ever since I heard about how bad a Prius actually is to the environment, it disgusts me how people still think it's "green".

I'd rather have the turbo-diesels try to go mainstream. And besides, we have all this dirty oil in restaurants that are begging to be converted to diesel.

Oh, and unlike gas-electric hybrids (excluding 1st gen Insight and CR-Z), turbo diesel engines can actually be had with a proper manual transmission...

mtbr member
    Don't simplify the diesel vs gas and the US vs Europe situation too much.

The US emission standards are different than Europe. In some cases they are the same, but in the case of NOx, a lung killer, Europe allows 6 times as much the US per mile. In Europe, they have only designed for there standards, so you can't take a Euro engine, plop it in a US car and call it good. This is where the cost premium comes from, the more stringent emission standards. Americans drive a lot more than Europeans, so it makes sense that our standards have to be tighter in order to not have air quality issues.

Why are there more diesels in Europe? I understand that they tax Gas a lot more than Diesel, so diesel is more economical. The tax in the US is about the same.

70 MPG Diesels in Europe? Check your units and get back to us. You might be tricked by the larger Imperial Gallon vs the smaller US Gallon. Also, European cars are generally a lot lighter and smaller, and more fuel efficient.

One more thing. Did you know that it takes oil to make a gallon of diesel than a gallon of gas, so a 33 MPG Jetta TDI Diesel, is actually less efficient than a 33 MPG Gas car.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

ok, im finished.

im with you on this one.

i have a diesel pickup and it has 300k miles with no major engine issues at all. and i expect it has another 300k miles of life in her. and i will never go back to gas for any of my trucks. plus if you buy it used, you can avoid alot of that high markup for the engine itself. plus, i get 20mpg highway and 15mpg towing a 10,000lb trailer. for a truck that weighs over 6000lbs that is pretty amazing.

and killroy, your not giving the diesel jetta enough credit. my girlfriend has a GAS jetta that gets 33mpg. for a diesel jetta the same model as hers they get 45+ and with a life expectancy of 400k miles how is this not a good buy? plus diesels are getting a lot cleaner, and many of you may not know but Cali is now starting emissions checks on diesels (as of now it is a visual check, but im sure it will change)

and yes it might take more crude to make a gallon of diesel, but the rest of that is not just wasted, it does get used for other purposes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    the new crop of TDI engines are very clean. and you want ultra clean from a diesel?? google "mercedes bluetec."

mtbr member
    the new crop of TDI engines are very clean. and you want ultra clean from a diesel?? google "mercedes bluetec."
    Don't run out of AdBlue because the benz won't start. Consumer Reports found that it cost
    $317 to refill the AdBlue after 16,600 miles.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...-of-green.html

mtbr member
    why would anyone look to buy a jeep? i mean unless you can't afford to pay a little more today for a more reliable car tomorrow... they've been making **** for 15 years. i'll let them make 15 years of good cars before i will consider them.
    RH SL Pro

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Don't run out of AdBlue because the benz won't start. Consumer Reports found that it cost
    $317 to refill the AdBlue after 16,600 miles.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...-of-green.html
    Hah, mercedes strikes again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    why would anyone look to buy a jeep? i mean unless you can't afford to pay a little more today for a more reliable car tomorrow... they've been making **** for 15 years. i'll let them make 15 years of good cars before i will consider them.
    Sadly, the only good thing Jeep has offered is the Wrangler and the old Cherokee (NOT the Grand Cherokee). Other than that, all the rest aren't anything special, and most don't even see dirt or ever get taken off-road, which is an absolute waste of good engineering...

As for oversimplifying the diesel arguement, yes, I did oversimplify it.

However, the stigma still stands amongst most Americans. I hope Audi's clean-diesel commercials have helped...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    although i'm not much of a jeep guy, i was thoroughly disappointed when they pulled the plug on the 4.0 and went with the V6. it just didn't feel right.

Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    Hah, mercedes strikes again.
    just like the urea in the new powerstrokes. $300, once a year isn't outrageous at all if you ask me. factor it into operating costs. but like i said, i don't feel that it is anything out of the ordinary. could be worse however. you could be driving a prius.

Never trust a fart
    although i'm not much of a jeep guy, i was thoroughly disappointed when they pulled the plug on the 4.0 and went with the V6. it just didn't feel right.

Reason for the 4.0 going away was it was old technology, and it would have taken way more money to get it to meet the new emission laws. The 3.8 IIRC, is just a small speed bump for now. (I worked for a D/C/J dealer) There are several new engines in the wings. So something new will be showing up soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    still disappointing. the 4.0 was a torque monster.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010

just like the urea in the new powerstrokes. $300, once a year isn't outrageous at all if you ask me. factor it into operating costs. but like i said, i don't feel that it is anything out of the ordinary. could be worse however. you could be driving a prius.
    Do the powerstrokes fail to start if the urea tank runs dry?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

+1 i had an 87 Cherokee and that inline 6 was my best friend. i loved working on it. now i have a truck with an inline 6(diesel) and it is awesome.

mtbr member
    +2. My wife's pre-baby vehicle, a Saab 9-3, recently let me down. I cleaned up the old 1998 Cherokee and it still runs great. Holds 6 quarts of oil and doesn't leak a drop. Probably would hit 300K if I kept driving it daily. Saving up my pennies for an Element to save on gas. Jeep will go into hibernation again then.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    both of my cars have 2.5 inline 6's. my DD is an '87 325is and i will have an inline motor as long as i can.

honestly, i dont know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    both of my cars have 2.5 inline 6's. my DD is an '87 325is and i will have an inline motor as long as i can.

honestly, i dont know.

My guess is that they still run and start but i bet the ECM goes into a "limp" mode or something like that. although i dont know, just guessing here.

mtbr member
    The Mercedes won't start on a dry urea tank.

mtbr member
    Ever since I heard about how bad a Prius actually is to the environment
    there is nothing true about this statement.

some goofy people took 1/10th the facts about prius production, ignored the rest and decided they're dirty cars. its more political than factual, more about agendas than actually trying to push the cleaner vehicles.

vehicles, especially american market (cars sold here of any make), are clean and not major contributors to emissions anymore. its amazing how clean all cars run now, including bigger suv's and trucks.

a prius gets high fuel economy and doesnt break down. i can see the appeal. i think they drive terribly, but most people dont care about that.

we'll be seeing diesel hybrids soon, and more hybrid performance cars. diesel-hybrid could deliver stupid high fuel economy.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    The Mercedes won't start on a dry urea tank.
    Mercedes uses Powerstrokes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    there is nothing true about this statement.

some goofy people took 1/10th the facts about prius production, ignored the rest and decided they're dirty cars. its more political than factual, more about agendas than actually trying to push the cleaner vehicles.

vehicles, especially american market (cars sold here of any make), are clean and not major contributors to emissions anymore. its amazing how clean all cars run now, including bigger suv's and trucks.

a prius gets high fuel economy and doesnt break down. i can see the appeal. i think they drive terribly, but most people dont care about that.

we'll be seeing diesel hybrids soon, and more hybrid performance cars. diesel-hybrid could deliver stupid high fuel economy.
    True, all these newer cars here are so clean, it's unbelievable. Most cars are going to be PZEV, and that's just mind boggling!

I'm all for diesel hybrids and most especially hybrid performance cars. And ESPECIALLY the Honda CR-Z, which is going to come with a 6-speed manual!!!

mtbr member
    Mercedes uses Powerstrokes?
    I don't know/ don't think so. Just stating that if the diesel exhaust is cleaned with urea/adblue, then when it runs dry, the car will probably not start like the Mercedes. In the Consumer Report, it even said that you would have to flat bed the Mercades back to the dealer to get the tank filled.

mtbr member
    True, all these newer cars here are so clean, it's unbelievable. Most cars are going to be PZEV, and that's just mind boggling!

I'm all for diesel hybrids and most especially hybrid performance cars. And ESPECIALLY the Honda CR-Z, which is going to come with a 6-speed manual!!!
    +1
    So many people got suckered into believing that the Prius, one of the most efficient, cleanest and most useful cars, is just as bad as a hummer.

Compare the Prius to the Diesel Jetta, which will be a lot more efficient than the Cherokee Diesel. The Diesel will cost the average driver $450 more in fuel, use almost double the amount of oil, emit 2.5 tons more CO2.

Clean Diesel is relative to some old technology because SULEV II/PZEV II (Prius) have set the bar so high that a ULEV II (Diesel Jetta) produces 3 times the amount of NOx, 2 times as much NMOG, more that twice the CO, and the ULEV does not even control HCHO. All at fueleconomy.gov

mtbr member
    Agreed, same with the Chevy 4.3 V6 MMM gotta love 250ish foot pounds (coming from either motors) way down low in the rpms

Anyway to the OP, would love to see a small truck/suv that got 40 mpg with a small turbo diesel (clean technology of course)

Or even better down the line a diesel-hybrid, Monster torque from the line and still great mpgs!

Members who have read this thread: 0