INTERBIKE 2016: RockyMounts SplitRail (a T2 Pro competitor)- Mtbr.com
    Dream it, Do it.

INTERBIKE 2016: RockyMounts SplitRail (a T2 Pro competitor)

I saw RockyMounts new SplitRail hitch rack and wanted to share some of my video footage of their new rack as it really is comparable to the Thule T2 Pro hitch rack and is better IMHO in some ways. I'm always excited to see good products being produced by small US companies.

INTERBIKE 2016: RockyMounts SplitRail (a T2 Pro competitor)-rockymount-splitrail.jpg

This is a comparison of some key features:

INTERBIKE 2016: RockyMounts SplitRail (a T2 Pro competitor)-t2-pro-vs-splitrail-comparison.jpg

Two areas in which I find that the SplitRail is better than the T2 Pro is:

1. Weight: the SplitRail rack is about 15 pounds lighter than the T2 Pro for those of you that remove and reinstall your hitch rack frequently.
    2. Ability to add one bike mount for a 3-bike configuration: The SplitRail can add a single additional bike mount to allow either a 3-bike or 4-bike configuration.

This is Bobby from RockyMounts talking about key features of their SplitRail hitch rack.

INTERBIKE 2016 Video: RockyMounts SplitRail Hitch Mount Rack (a legitimate T2 Pro competitor)
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I bought one. Was bummed it was made in china. I thought RM gear was made in CO. I knew it when I looked at the box. It had that cheap Chinese cardboard. I had to return it, as the 2-bike add on wasn't due in to RM for almost 2 months. I needed 4 bikes, not 2. Ended up buying a Saris Freedom SuperClamp 4 bike. Love it, couldn't be happier. It had a few things the 1up didn't, and I really like that it was designed as a 4 bike right from the start.

All that said, I didn't find anything wrong with the SplitRail. But folding it down with the 2 bike add on would be difficult.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If you want USA made there is hope: 1UPUSA Racks! Totally representing the red white and blue--one of the best bike related products I have ever purchased.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Or Saris, made about 30 minutes from 1up!

I ordered a 1up, and cancelled it for the Saris. The saris sticks out about a foot less, and has a very similar method of holding up the wheels. The big foot "button" at the end of the Saris for folding down is what did it for me. I just push with my foot, and lower the rack down. It's better even than the Thule T2Pro's lever thing you pull.

I do believe even the Thule is made in the usa though, could be wrong. The RockyMounts was fine, but the no addons did it in for me. I do like the lifetime warranty on the saris too. The 1up is obviously a well-respected rack, but I don't think it's perfect. I had to weigh which features were the most important to me, and only the Saris met the most.

Now the new RockyMounts swing away tray is cool looking, but it can only do a max of 3 bikes.

A swing away version of the Saris, with a better hitch tightener system would be my ultimate rack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    1upUSA--USA Number One!! Making racks great again!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by curtlo-dork View Post
    I do believe even the Thule is made in the usa though, could be wrong.
    The Swedish company?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Dream it, Do it.
    The T2 Pro apparently is assembled in the US with heavy parts also made in the US. "The mast, spar of the clamping arms and folding hitch portion are all made in the USA."

IB15: Thule Redesigns iconic, standard setting hitch rack w/ new T2 Pro - Bikerumor
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I love the Split Rail and I've been using it for the last 3 months.

RockyMounts SplitRail hitch rack review - Mtbr.comINTERBIKE 2016: RockyMounts SplitRail (a T2 Pro competitor)-img_3625.jpg
    IPA will save America