Installing a receiver hitch question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Installing a receiver hitch question

So I ordered a receiver hitch from Amazon for my Kia Soul. Of course it came without the mounting hardware. Amazon will send me a new one, but it won't get here until Tuesday and I need to get it installed before next weekend and don't really have time during the week. I can find the specified bolts at the hardware store, but not specified conical toothed washer. Can I just use lock washer or something? I'm not going to be towing anything, just using it to attach a bike rack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Send it back to Amazon and take your car to a hitch installer and be done with it.

J.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Send it back to Amazon and take your car to a hitch installer and be done with it.

J.
    It takes 6 bolts and 30 min. to install. There is no way I'm paying someone to install what I can do in half and hour.

Conical toothed washers look a lot like flat toothed washers at some point in manufacturing. I'd get flat toothed washers and apply some Loctite and torque, they'll form to the surface and Loctite will make sure nothing bad happens.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My guess is you can't do it in 30 minutes including the time you spent trying to figure out how to do it.

Every time I've looked into hitches around here, it's been about the same whether I installed it or had it installed - I wind up paying retail for the hitch, they pay wholesale and the difference was the installation. For me, it's been a matter of shopping around.

j.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Dude it takes all of 30 MAX, 15 if you have a helper to hold it in place. Yes you can use the flat toothed washers and locktite, you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    Dude it takes all of 30 MAX, 15 if you have a helper to hold it in place. Yes you can use the flat toothed washers and locktite, you'll be fine.
    It took me half a day to install a hitch on my 2012 Camry, I had to cut holes in my frame rails. No way would I attempt this again. Pay the $150 and have someone else do it. Well worth the money.

psycho cyclo addict

Installing a receiver hitch question

Quote Originally Posted by sandiego View Post
    It took me half a day to install a hitch on my 2012 Camry, I had to cut holes in my frame rails. No way would I attempt this again. Pay the $150 and have someone else do it. Well worth the money.
    Agreed... depends on the vehicle to some extent. I suggest reading the installation instructions first before deciding on doing it yourself.

I called 3 dealerships and haggled with them to get my OEM hitch (that I bought on eBay) installed on my Honda. Finally one of them did it for $200... It was a pain in the butt- bumper had to come off, cutting on it, etc.; took the dealer tech 4+ hours so it was monnay well spent IMO.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

turtles make me hot
    I installed a Drawtite hitch on my wife's Sorento. ALL of the holes were there and it took all of 15 minutes. Use whatever form of lockwasher you like and use blue Loctite.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    1. Buy from e-trailer, 2. Install it yourself, most take minutes not hours. My 06 highlander & 02 rx300 30 minutes, my brothers BMW x5, 2 hours. Still not that tuff.
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
    Trek 9800 OLCV, XT upgrade 26er
    KHS Fleetwood
    Schwinn 20" Fastback 5 speed stick shift

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I bought it from Amazon and it took about 30 min. to install.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Well don,e enjoy the $200 you saved by not being a lazy bum!