Inline hitch-mount rack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Inline hitch-mount rack?

I'm installing a trailer hitch on my very small car (Mazda Miata) to carry one or two bikes. Since the car is so low, and narrow, I would prefer the bikes to be carried inline (like on a roof rack), with the front wheels over the trunk, and rear wheels lower and behind the car. I could bolt up some unistrut or have something welded together and maybe use a Yakima wheel tray and down-tube system, or fork mount type (although I'd prefer not to have to remove the front wheels). Light weight would be a plus, too.

Has anyone come up with something similar?
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

pants on head retarded
    Never seen anything like that myself... maybe a vertical bike rack? I've seen them around for RVs and SUVs, never heard of a hitch mounted one though.

mtbr member
    NorthShoreRacks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    NorthShoreRacks
    Thanks, that does give me some ideas, although $400-700 seems stupidly expensive for those racks.
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

mangai.rollin
    Fallz - was that you I was briefly chatting w/ at syncline last Sunday? I have a Kuat NV & Ryan had the NorthShore on his demo van. The achilies heel of all hitch racks is stinger length vs vehicle clearance and it's impact on departure angle. Keep this in mind.
    '10 Ibis Mojo SL
    www.mangai-rollin.com We are hiring
    pdx mtb

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    There is an aftermarket trunk rack made for miatas
    http://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo...tnum=SUSSRACKM
    Some dude on here bought one of those and mounted a regular roof rack style rack too it. He had to thicken up the bars on the trunk rack a bit with tape I believe but it worked. I have a regular hitch rack on my miata. The bikes are wider than the car but its really not a big deal.

Members who have read this thread: 0