IMBA Subaru discount?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

IMBA Subaru discount?

Hi,

Have any of you participated in this program? Do you know if dealers will do search and inventory swap with this program of if one must order a specific build when what you want is not in stock?

Any worthwhile information from those who participated in this?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    FWIW: I now have information from IMBA and local dealer. This is a very good deal via the actual price and the lack of games needed to strike a deal.

Oh, and I like the IMBA socks and help they've given our club too.

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Post details of how this works. I've got an '02 Outback and am thinking about buying a new one. Great car.

LP

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lanpope
    Post details of how this works. I've got an '02 Outback and am thinking about buying a new one. Great car.

LP
    You need to be an IMBA member for 6 months. The IMBA site has all the details.

You submit the required info to them and you get a letter good for 45 days to get the discount. The IMBA rep and car dealer sales manager said it is currently 2% less than invoice price. My local dealer says they will do trades too but it's based on a wholesale price vs. trade in value taken from sticker price.

I read and hear some owners of older models do not like the redesign but we have 3 kids and now it has a flat rear seat with enough leg room for adult comfort, rear seat reclines and front seats are more comfortable than older Subarus I've been in.

I hope dealer inventory gets better before the 45 days!

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

I know, I know, reviving old thread...

Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger
    You need to be an IMBA member for 6 months. The IMBA site has all the details.

You submit the required info to them and you get a letter good for 45 days to get the discount. The IMBA rep and car dealer sales manager said it is currently 2% less than invoice price. My local dealer says they will do trades too but it's based on a wholesale price vs. trade in value taken from sticker price.

I read and hear some owners of older models do not like the redesign but we have 3 kids and now it has a flat rear seat with enough leg room for adult comfort, rear seat reclines and front seats are more comfortable than older Subarus I've been in.

I hope dealer inventory gets better before the 45 days!
    Bitflogger,

Thinking of doing the same, are you required to take delivery from dealer stock, or can you get something ordered? (If my options/colors/etc, are not on the dealer's lot.)

Thanks!

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    my dealer would not order it for me. invoice - 2% and accessories at cost. car has to be on the lot.

pain intolerant
    Bump.

Bitflogger, did it work out for you? I just contacted IMBA for my letter.

Wondering if the dealership still hits you up for destination type fees (typically about $300, I think). Does the IMBA deal make it tougher to negotiate your trade-in price, or did the dealership just go by NADA bluebook pricing?

pain intolerant
    Just got back from the dealership and my 2010 Outback out the door cost is:

Invoice - (Invoice * 2%) + $695 destination + tax

There are no dealership delivery/handling/processing type fees under the VIP program. $695 destination is on the sticker and always charged as far as I can tell.

This dealerhip also offer oil changes with free labor for life of vehicle (so charge would be about $12 for filter and oil), but I'm not clear if that's a VIP incentive or for anyone buying a new car.

The only negotiating point I can see (besides dealership incentives like the oil change example above) in this program is what a dealership will give you for trade-in. Example: The Costco affiliated dealership I was talking to offered $1,500 for my 98 Camry. The dealership offering the VIP program offered $3,500 (best I was planning to get selling on my own was $3,800 so I'm definitely taking it).

Members who have read this thread: 0