If the Nano were to come to the US...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

If the Nano were to come to the US...

If the Tata Nano, the World's Cheapest Car ($2500) were to come to the United States, would you consider one?

https://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/200...eapest-car/?hp
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

Head First
    Probably not, just out of fear of getting killed in a fender bender from a large truck or suv.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No, at around 600cc, it would not be safe to drive around in. The top speed is around 60 mph and it would be dangerous to drive at that speed on many highways. Even worse, the acceleration is terrible by western standards. Merging onto highways would be a nightmare.

I personally need a car with enough room for my dog so I would never consider it anyway. My Forester is about the minimum size I need for my dog and outdoor activities.
    However, I feel that smaller cars (a bit bigger than the Nano) will eventually become more popular after gas is past $4 and $5 per gallon.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not interested in the world's cheapest anything. Not cars, bikes, clothes, food, hookers, anything. Besides, I doubt it will even come close to meeting US safety and emissions standards so the chance of it coming to the US is nil.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

stick
    US emissions standards are a joke. Eh, get me a Tesla Roadster instead.

0-60 mph in under 4 seconds, and it gets the energy equivalent of 135 mpg. Just need to get a bit more word out.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dashSS
    US emissions standards are a joke. Eh, get me a Tesla Roadster instead.
    0-60 mph in under 4 seconds, and it gets the energy equivalent of 135 mpg. Just need to get a bit more word out.
    Yeah, it's only an extra 3,900,000 rupees you cheapskates
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    No, at around 600cc, it would not be safe to drive around in. The top speed is around 60 mph and it would be dangerous to drive at that speed on many highways. Even worse, the acceleration is terrible by western standards. Merging onto highways would be a nightmare.
    this thing would make for a great city car. i wouldn't take it on the freeway, but around town its fine. now would soccer moms ditch there tahoes for these, no. they have a look they have to keep up.

also, find that funny,
    acceleration is terrible by western standards
    um, this doesn't mean ****. because most western drivers still drive like douches, and it wouldn't matter if they had 1000hp. they would still merge on the freeway at 35mph.

SHane

LDH
    mtbr member
    I love big natural tata's, hell I like the smalls and mediums too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Those would be good for driving around town, but I wouldn't take them on the freeway until I noticed more and more people making the switch from large vehicles to more practical ones.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kcurrin
    Those would be good for driving around town, but I wouldn't take them on the freeway until I noticed more and more people making the switch from large vehicles to more practical ones.
    yeah like this one.

Members who have read this thread: 0