I want a BMW 135- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I want a BMW 135

But how am I going to carry my bike around???????
    '14 Specialized Enduro Carbon Expert 29
    '13 Surly Neck Romancer Pug
    1992 Cannondale DeltaV700
    And a couple of fixies

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    bmw ftw. They have racks but I'd never get them close to the paint. You can put a hitch for a trailer but thats tacky. Get a truck?

mtbr member
    Agree no racks on the paint!!!! If I can find a receiver hitch then I would use a rack that mounts in the receiver, but I'm not sure I can find a hitch for the 1series.

As for the truck, I have one, but then I wouldn't be driving the BMW
    '14 Specialized Enduro Carbon Expert 29
    '13 Surly Neck Romancer Pug
    1992 Cannondale DeltaV700
    And a couple of fixies

mtbr member
    too bad the hatch version isn't coming here.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    the rear seats fold down, with the wheels off im sure you could get the bike in through the trunk, I can get mine in my 96 civic that way when push comes to shove
    it does look like a sweet ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a 2002 325ci and my bike fits fine in the trunk with the front wheel off and seats folded down. The 135 is only .4 in narrower so I doubt there will be much problem. I'd expect the trunk + folded seats to be a 2-3 inches shorter but length isn't an issue as much as width. They might also offer a rack mount system which bolts into panels built into the roof gutters like they have for 3 and 5 series. That roof rack (Thule 753) doesn't touch the paint.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You and me both. After the issues my mom had with her X5 I said I'd never buy a Bimmer but this one has me thinking.

Lungs, Legs, Luck

Can I be a Contrarian for a Minute?

I say, get a factory rack. Think about this car for a minute; it's supposed to have a direct link to a 2002. A dear friend who introduced me to the very sport of mountain biking had a 2002 tii with a Yakima rack.

Why not spec a new 1 with minimal bling and maximum sport? Drive the snot out of it, and don't worry so much about parking lot dings and stuff. Proudly put your bike upon the roof!

For the record, I've had two e36's, and I didn't hesitate to put a rack on them. I currently have a MINI Cooper S, and I have a Yakima on it right now. No issues at all.

Drive! Ride! Live!

Like catnip for people
    I want an M6

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Unfortunatly the new 1 series isn't too closely related to the 2002. They are basically a shorter version of the 3 series and comes with all the whistles and bells you find on their other cars these days. I love the looks and will probably trade in my e46 for one, but I was really annoyed that the new 1 is actually heavier then my e46 and only lighter then the current 3 series by about 150 lbs. Kinda porky for a small car. A fully loaded 135 will probably around 40k+ so I doubt it's going to be the kind of car you won't mind getting dinged up.

mtbr member
    I haven't liked any of the new BMWs, give me 1995-2001 7 series any day...
    Craig

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mokancraig
    I haven't liked any of the new BMWs, give me 1995-2001 7 series any day...
    you can have it, gramps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    you can have it, gramps.
    Hehe, that's funny... I really do prefer the older BMWs, but then again that almost goes for all cars. I saw a new 5 series yesterday in the mall parking lot while waiting on my wife. I really think it is one of the worst looking new cars (right behind anything from GM).
    Craig

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flytime
    But how am I going to carry my bike around???????
    You'll be loving that BMW twin turbo right up untill the first time you peg redline .. hello moter rebuild .

I would stay far far away from the BMW's
    As said frequently in Strutguard , Nothing coming from Munic should be labeled "the ultimate driving machine "

I might suggest the new Audi S5
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

Lungs, Legs, Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by CT Rock Gardener
    Unfortunatly the new 1 series isn't too closely related to the 2002. They are basically a shorter version of the 3 series and comes with all the whistles and bells you find on their other cars these days. I love the looks and will probably trade in my e46 for one, but I was really annoyed that the new 1 is actually heavier then my e46 and only lighter then the current 3 series by about 150 lbs. Kinda porky for a small car. A fully loaded 135 will probably around 40k+ so I doubt it's going to be the kind of car you won't mind getting dinged up.
    Yeah, it seems like you can't just buy a sports car anymore--or even a sports "sedan". My e36 tipped the scales at about 3100 pounds; the new 135, which appears to be about the same size, is 600 pounds heavier! That's very disappointing, at least on paper. I once drove a v8 five series with a manual, and it felt very "small", eventhough it weighed over two tons!

Anyway, I would really only be interested in in the 1 Series if BMW would truly link it to the 2002 by producing something of a minimalist sports sedan.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Get one of these if you can get a hitch for the car...elegant enough to not look weird on a new beemer. it's the Saris Thelma

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mokancraig
    Hehe, that's funny... I really do prefer the older BMWs, but then again that almost goes for all cars. I saw a new 5 series yesterday in the mall parking lot while waiting on my wife. I really think it is one of the worst looking new cars (right behind anything from GM).
    I agree actually. My favorite BMW is the E30 M3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm on the preorder list and got called up to place an order the week before xmas. I'll probably be doing so in the next week or so. The options from BMW are a base roof rack system with an addable "touring bike/mountain bike holder" or a rear bumper bike rack.

I'm leaning towards getting the base roof rack system and looking for compatible rails elsewhere that will fit my bikes. I have a standard moutain bike, a 29er SS and a road bike.

Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Audis are cool but they are always playing catch up to BMW. Even when they have more power they always end up slower and not as thrilling to drive (excluding the R8),
    however, they might have a slight advantage during inclement weather. Having said all that, I would like to buy an Audi as a 3rd car if the price is right (HP v. perceived value) considering what the competition offers or buy one preowned since their prices fall like a rock.

Why would you think the 135 engine will need to be rebuilt when driven normally and even if that's true, not any more than Audis.

To answer the OP, just get the OEM base rack and you can add whatever type of bike rack you like afterwards.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy4blues
    I say, get a factory rack. Think about this car for a minute; it's supposed to have a direct link to a 2002.
    heh, my subaru has more 2002 soul in it than a 1 series.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vegancheesesteak
    I'm on the preorder list and got called up to place an order the week before xmas. I'll probably be doing so in the next week or so. The options from BMW are a base roof rack system with an addable "touring bike/mountain bike holder" or a rear bumper bike rack.

I'm leaning towards getting the base roof rack system and looking for compatible rails elsewhere that will fit my bikes. I have a standard moutain bike, a 29er SS and a road bike.

Any recommendations?
    yes, hitch rack. period.
    ride fast...take chances...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by vegancheesesteak

Any recommendations?
    I'll second the hitch rack recommendation. Your roof rack will cost you mpg even when no bike is attached, let alone the significant loss with bikes on top. You also don't have to lift bikes up on top of the car and potentially damage the car with a hitch rack.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Is this a female room only, why is everyone talking about BMW's. I got a 05 Pathfinder with fold down seats i can put my whole bike inside and leave it there forever. I also have the Yakima hookup (weighs 50 lbs.) with locking cores. Thats equals three bikes and riders confortably, 1 bike inside and to on the Hookup with 2 bikes. Good on gas to , i drove from LB to Mammoth on one tank, all the way to my hotel. 4 Wheel drive to so i can out run the cops and drive off-road to evade the Law that wants to bust me for trail poaching and skeet cycling.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth69
    Is this a female room only, why is everyone talking about BMW's. I got a 05 Pathfinder with fold down seats i can put my whole bike inside and leave it there forever. I also have the Yakima hookup (weighs 50 lbs.) with locking cores. Thats equals three bikes and riders confortably, 1 bike inside and to on the Hookup with 2 bikes. Good on gas to , i drove from LB to Mammoth on one tank, all the way to my hotel. 4 Wheel drive to so i can out run the cops and drive off-road to evade the Law that wants to bust me for trail poaching and skeet cycling.
    So your truck has a 30 gallon tank. Great.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    So your truck has a 30 gallon tank. Great.
    No 21 Gallons and i filled it back up with 19, Not to shabby huh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Females? Maybe some people donít feel like driving around in cars/trucks that feels like you dropped an anchor. FYI, an X5 could do what your truck does and still show you its tail lights; some males like that kind of stuff, you know!!

|i|
    I loved my old e46, but I used a Yak rack on it and the paint was definitely marred. I'm probably going to get the 135i in a year or so and will be putting a hitch on it. I hate trunk mounted racks and they f*** up the paint even more than a roof rack.

I have a WRX now and the driving experience sucks. Should have gotten an STI, but priorities were different at the time I purchased it.

FWIW, my e46 was absolutely reliable through +100k miles. I had an e36 before it that was perfect...until the warranty ran out. That point on, I had multiple issues. In the end, I will never own a used BMW or one out of warranty.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes, your overweight and overpowered vehicle gets truely great milege.

Standard Engine:4.0L V6, 24 valve, 266 hp @ 5600 rpm
    5 speed automatic transmission
    14 mpg city / 20 mpg hwy
    Green Rating: 48
    Learn about the Green Rating
    Optional Engine(s):5.6L V8, 32 valve, 317 hp @ 4900 rpm
    5 speed automatic transmission
    12 mpg city / 18 mpg hwy
    Green Rating: 41

New Jersey
    Bwahahaha, 19 is HORRIBLE.

Hell, I get 26 on my car, and I'm ashamed. Every time I drive I feel like I'm spewing tons of crappy gasses for my own pleasure. It's a horrible feeling (even if it's true or not)....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tahj33
    Females? Maybe some people donít feel like driving around in cars/trucks that feels like you dropped an anchor. FYI, an X5 could do what your truck does and still show you its tail lights; some males like that kind of stuff, you know!!
    Waaa

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by f2f4
    Bwahahaha, 19 is HORRIBLE.

Hell, I get 26 on my car, and I'm ashamed. Every time I drive I feel like I'm spewing tons of crappy gasses for my own pleasure. It's a horrible feeling (even if it's true or not)....
    19 Gallons used not 19MPG.

And people who buy fuel effecient cars do so because they will be driving long distances to work, am i wrong? How many miles do you commute to work? How many miles per year? Add all those fuel reciepts up at the end of the year and mine will probably be less than average.

Waaaa

rbtm member
    Jan 2004

And people who buy fuel effecient cars do so because they will be driving long distances to work, am i wrong? How many miles do you commute to work? How many miles per year? Add all those fuel reciepts up at the end of the year and mine will probably be less than average.

Waaaa
    What kind of mileage are you getting? I have the same truck (05 path) and get a little over 17 on average with mixed driving. I put so few miles on cars (< 5K/year) that mileage isn't much of a concern for me. It's been a great truck.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

mtbr member
    Put the computer on the Speedometer to MPG's, i get 20 to 21 HWY. I also drafted a semi-truck just 2 or 3 car lengths behind and i was gettin 34 MPG.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by robotkiller
    I loved my old e46, but I used a Yak rack on it and the paint was definitely marred. I'm probably going to get the 135i in a year or so and will be putting a hitch on it. I hate trunk mounted racks and they f*** up the paint even more than a roof rack.

I have a WRX now and the driving experience sucks. Should have gotten an STI, but priorities were different at the time I purchased it.
    Yes you should have. Although if you have a family, the WRX may have been a better buy for you. I have an '05 STi and they are very fun cars. I had a Saris trunk rack mounted on it and the trunk 'foot' did mar the paint. I sent Saris an email about it and they told me to send them pics, which I'm in the process of now.
    From now on, I'll just put a blanket over the back seat and just stuff the bike frame there. No more bikes will be externally mounted onto that car.

FWIW, my e46 was absolutely reliable through +100k miles. I had an e36 before it that was perfect...until the warranty ran out. That point on, I had multiple issues. In the end, I will never own a used BMW or one out of warranty.
    I was seriously considering selling my STi and getting a 135i when they came out this spring...until I found out they were on a waiting list. That more or less means that you will not be getting one for anywhere near the ~$33k starting price for them. Plus, with the STi being a tougher, more reliable, versatile and robust vehicle, I just decided to stay with it.
    But that TT I-6 of the 135i is a sweet little powerplant though.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

banned
    Sep 2007
    I regularly drive to our condo up at Mammoth and back 590 miles round trip, on 12 gallons of diesel. Drive the rest of the week too, before I think about filling up. 16 gallon fuel tank.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    To anwser your intial question BMW will have a roof mounted rack system available for the 1 series shorty after it is released. I have had them on 3 different 3 series and my x5 and x3 they are all pretty good. i do believe that thule makes the racks and BMW just puts there name on it. Also I have a 335 right now with around 400 horsepower and I run it on redline constantly. It runs a 12.9 in the quarter mile. so I don't know where Evil4bc gest his information but he is extremly wrong. BMW is known for there engines and if you have driven many diffrent types of them you would understand why they say it is the (ultimate driving machine) I have had the chance to drive the new 1 series however it was a convertable. but it is pretty nice i think i would still stick with the E90's however.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rmb_mike
    Yes you should have. Although if you have a family, the WRX may have been a better buy for you. I have an '05 STi and they are very fun cars. I had a Saris trunk rack mounted on it and the trunk 'foot' did mar the paint. I sent Saris an email about it and they told me to send them pics, which I'm in the process of now.
    From now on, I'll just put a blanket over the back seat and just stuff the bike frame there. No more bikes will be externally mounted onto that car.
    I had one of those saris racks and I pretty much assumed that it would eat into the paint, and over time it did. Those are a temporary solution and not something to use over time IMO.

Can't you put a towbar on your STI? It would fit, but not all exausts fit with the towbar. I have to say that on my WRX I love being able to use a hitch mounted rack, it's not obtrusive or obtuse when the rack is removed and with all the weight I've taken off the car with the stock exaust and other stuff, in the end I'm sure it doesn't weigh more, only a little stiffer in the rear due to the towbar bolting together on both sides of the car. Even though the sti doesn't "say" it can tow (in the US), it can take a towbar just fine, lots of people do this, and it's a real good idea if it's just to put a rack on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I had one of those saris racks and I pretty much assumed that it would eat into the paint, and over time it did. Those are a temporary solution and not something to use over time IMO.

Can't you put a towbar on your STI? It would fit, but not all exausts fit with the towbar. I have to say that on my WRX I love being able to use a hitch mounted rack, it's not obtrusive or obtuse when the rack is removed and with all the weight I've taken off the car with the stock exaust and other stuff, in the end I'm sure it doesn't weigh more, only a little stiffer in the rear due to the towbar bolting together on both sides of the car. Even though the sti doesn't "say" it can tow (in the US), it can take a towbar just fine, lots of people do this, and it's a real good idea if it's just to put a rack on.
    Yeah I could do that but I've decided that if anything gets mounted to the outside of that car from now on, it will be performance oriented.
    Once I get my Bottlerocket put together, I'm going to look for a older model 2wd Toyota p/u to put around in and just not drive the STi unless I need to.
    As for the rack eating into the paint; Subaru isn't exactly known for their quality paint jobs.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rmb_mike
    As for the rack eating into the paint; Subaru isn't exactly known for their quality paint jobs.
    Doesn't matter, the saris rack puts pressure on the body, it WILL eat the paint (rubbing/pressure/abrasion), doesn't matter what car you have.

banned
    Sep 2007

Bonehead assumption

Waaaa
    People who drive fuel efficient cars do so because they are more concerned with efficiency than compensating for their other short comings with the car they drive. Some people buy battery powered cars if only to make a politically correct statement, so they can feel smug about themselves, all the while driving the car at outrageous speeds in the diamond lane (80-90 mph) defeating the efficiency their car was designed for ( in city stop and go traffic on batteries, without the motor running)

Where do you come up with these assumptions? I don't work, I don't commute to work, I'm lucky if I drive 12-15k miles a year. My fuel receipts would make you look like a fat energy hoarding slob. I see 49 to 53 mpg per tank, all the time. I drive efficiently. I don't waste my fuel pushing air around my car at 80mph on the way to Mammoth. I set it at 65-70. Time is something I have plenty of.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Put the computer on the Speedometer to MPG's, i get 20 to 21 HWY. I also drafted a semi-truck just 2 or 3 car lengths behind and i was gettin 34 MPG.
    Mr. Big, try pencil and paper, trip computers are highly optimistic and not real world numbers. No one ever truly calibrates them from the factory. They are there to make you feel good about yourself.

If you want real numbers, instantaneously, invest in a ScanGauge II. It will tell you your current consumption rate in gallons per hour, also your average consumption rate over a tank of fuel.

What ever happened to the rule of thumb, leave one car space for every 10 mph between you and the vehicle in front of you? Common sense isn't so common anymore.
    Last edited by Boyonabyke; 01-09-2008 at 10:51 AM.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Where do you come up with these assumptions? I don't work, I don't commute to work, I'm lucky if I drive 12-15k miles a year. My fuel receipts would make you look like a fat energy hoarding slob. I see 49 to 53 mpg per tank, all the time. I drive efficiently. I don't waste my fuel pushing air around my car at 80mph on the way to Mammoth. I set it at 65-70. Time is something I have plenty of.
    The number of miles you drive is close to the US average I believe. Those who drive 1/3 less and get 1/3 the mileage are equivalent energy hoarding slobs. In fact, you're the slob compared to those who drive equivalent cars and drive significantly less. You're even the slob compared to myself, and I own the same auto is Mr.Bigglewhatever. 15k/year and you don't even commute? That sounds like gluttony to me.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

mtbr member

You Energy Waster

Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    People who drive fuel efficient cars do so because they are more concerned with efficiency than compensating for their other short comings with the car they drive. Some people buy battery powered cars if only to make a politically correct statement, so they can feel smug about themselves, all the while driving the car at outrageous speeds in the diamond lane (80-90 mph) defeating the efficiency their car was designed for ( in city stop and go traffic on batteries, without the motor running)

Its guys like you that make the Saudi Sheiks want to raise the cost per barrel of oil. They know that Americans take Energy for granted and drive their cars around town on the weekends when they stay home, and you manage to drive 12k plus milles per year for no reason. I do the same milelage per year to work and weekend excursions that you do, thats wastefull. And i drive an SUV because its practical for my life style (mountain biking, short commute, Money) after having to live with a car for 3 years and a Yakima roof rack i got a little tired of having to take my front tire off everytime i drive to a trail. And by the way you cant drive up the side of mountain in 4 wheel and mud bog when it rains etc. Loo Whoo Seh Herr!
    Biscuits!!!!

banned
    Sep 2007
    And by the way you cant drive up the side of mountain in 4 wheel and mud bog when it rains etc. Loo Whoo Seh Herr!
    Biscuits!!!!
    Wrong again... my old Toyota xtra cab 4x4 can and has done plenty of that. Still does it too, and the hubs lock every time, not when or if they feel like it after you push a switch and your hubs are frozen. Having a second home at a ski resort requires driving. We try to get up there once a month, sometimes twice. Usually around 600 miles per trip, probably 7500 to 8500 of my annual miles.

Members who have read this thread: 0