I need advice on my 1Up rack install- Mtbr.com
    Flat Pluto Society

I need advice on my 1Up rack install

I recently had a hitch installed on my Honda CR-V. When I slid the 1Up rack into the hitch, I found that the tongue didn't go all the way into the receiver- it hits metal bits that are welded onto the car to strengthen/assist with the hitch installation. The tongue goes approximately 6.5" into the hitch, leaving a good deal exposed. I cut off about an inch, as close to the ball as I could, but it still sticks out about 2.75" too far.

I need advice on my 1Up rack install-oneup-1.jpg

It works ok, but I would really like the bike to be that 2.75" closer to the car, you know? So what can be done? Does 1Up make a part I could replace a part with, specifically the tongue and "shoulder" bar the tongue is attached to? It would be as simple as unbolting the bolts that hold the shoulder on. I could also cut the ball off, leaving a 6.5" tongue. I'd then have to drill a hole and attach the rack using a pin. As the rack is kind of wobbly without tightening the ball, I'd have to figure out some sort of wedge to secure the tongue into the receiver.

I'll be contacting 1Up for solutions, but I thought I'd post first and see what you guys come up with.

This pic (as is the one above) is with the approx. 1" cut off.

Clear as mud?

I need advice on my 1Up rack install-oneup-2.jpg

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The hitch should go all the way through clearly. Is it a normal bolt-on application to your car? If so, probably weld slag inside. It could possibly be chipped out or go back and ask for a replacement. You should not have to modify your rack.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    The hitch should go all the way through clearly. Is it a normal bolt-on application to your car? If so, probably weld slag inside. It could possibly be chipped out or go back and ask for a replacement. You should not have to modify your rack.
    Agreed here. I'd take it back to the installer on the principle of the matter and have 'em make sure that rack accessories will install correctly before leaving.

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    The tongue won't go all the way through because there's a loop welded to the spare tire well that assists with the installation of the hitch. I've taken pics to show what's up, but I'm using a friend's computer and don't have access to them.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I definitely would not have cut off the rack's tongue, there's a little cap back there to keep the parts in, and it adds stability. Stability is also the reason you need to have the tongue inserted in far enough. The only acceptable solution here is to insert it further or get 1Up's blessing that it's already inserted far enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I recently had a hitch installed on my Honda CR-V. When I slid the 1Up rack into the hitch, I found that the tongue didn't go all the way into the receiver- it hits metal bits that are welded onto the car to strengthen/assist with the hitch installation. The tongue goes approximately 6.5" into the hitch, leaving a good deal exposed. I cut off about an inch, as close to the ball as I could, but it still sticks out about 2.75" too far.

It works ok, but I would really like the bike to be that 2.75" closer to the car, you know? So what can be done? Does 1Up make a part I could replace a part with, specifically the tongue and "shoulder" bar the tongue is attached to? It would be as simple as unbolting the bolts that hold the shoulder on. I could also cut the ball off, leaving a 6.5" tongue. I'd then have to drill a hole and attach the rack using a pin. As the rack is kind of wobbly without tightening the ball, I'd have to figure out some sort of wedge to secure the tongue into the receiver.
    The rack does not *need* to go any further into the receiver, and in most applications will not go in all the way to the base plate. It will work perfectly fine as is. I understand it may be desirable for it to be a bit closer to the car, but you're not going to notice any difference with it where it is now. Definitely do not remove the ball wedge assembly as that is one of the large advantages of the 1up mounting system, because any other hitch tightener thing is not as easy to use.

Flat Pluto Society
    Thanks, JMB, this is along the lines of what I'm thinking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I have one installed on my sedan's hitch rack (1 1/4" hitch) with a good amount of exposed tongue to get trunk clearance, and it hasn't been a problem. Is this the Quik Rack? Their instructions say "Position the Quik Rack to desired depth, 4 minimum insertion,
    but no less than 2." This is not really clear, but I would shoot for the 4". It looks like from the picture that you have 4" minimum. If so, you should be good.

Happy Trails
    Are you sure you did not cut your hitch tongue off too close to the ball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Are you sure you did not cut your hitch tongue off too close to the ball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think so, it still works fine.