I just bought a minivan- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

I just bought a minivan

After 41 years of holding out. The evil empire got me two days ago. I need a hug.

Who else owns a minivan. Tell me it's not so bad.

I got one of em Honda ones. Can I put spinners on those?

francois
    IPA will save America

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    For me, vans are the ultimate road trip vehicle.

Another big road trip coming up...

A Real Winner.
    Hell Yes! Vans Rule!!!
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    After 41 years of holding out. The evil empire got me two days ago. I need a hug.

francois
    We got an '06 Odyssey last year, NAV + DVD, picked it up in Chicago, and drove it home to California.

While it is my wife's car, I was the one who really pushed to get it, and would drive it instead of my turbo Outback happily. So much room to carry stuff, and so easy to relax in if someone else is driving.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

Yes it is that bad, but...

Got a Mazda a few years ago.

Wife and I made the decision to go Minivan instead of SUV when the twins were born. (That made #2 & #3 for us.) After seeing what gas prices did afterwards - very glad we did so. Gets the same mileage that the car gets, even with being heavier.

The bonuses of the van are it's versatile, its got a good amount of room. It isn't bad on the roads either. It isn't a sports car by any means but was better than the domestic <b>cars</b> we had earlier.

The only things I've noticed that I don't like about the Mini-Van is that roof racks are a pain in the arse. It has to be set up <i>just</i> right to get the doors not to leak . Would have also been nice for another gear or more power when crossing the Appliachian mountains out east too. (Ours is a wimpy 200 horses, and we were loaded up a bit.)

Did a multi-state roadtrip with the car earlier this summer, and after I got back had wished I was in the van. Would have been a bit more room to strech out and pack all the crap for three adults and bikes.

I saw a supercharger kit for the van once, and I laughed, now I'm thinking....'Yup... can't get any more stealth than a minivan...' Just need an extra $5k.

JmZ

francois
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Daddy of 3 now!

minivans rule!

francois,

Ha ha! Join the club.

Don't fret. It's the best, ok, most practical vehicle on the road for the family. I have three little ones 5 and under so I needed to fit three car seats and the van was the way to go.

I, also, bought a '06 Honda Odyssey 7 months ago and we love it. Great on gas and tons of room. She's pretty peppy 240hp and handles really nice. Nothing but praise.

The 60/40 rear bench is the only way to go. I've put down the 60% and I've slid in my bike, two kid bikes, bike trailer, baby stroller, wife/three kids and lots of other stuff. I plan on installing a hitch over the winter or before spring so I can get a hitch bike mount.

Best of luck,
    You made a great decision..
    Tony

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Got a new one last Nov. and already put 25,000 miles. Not mine, it's wifey's because she wants more room than a sedan for kid + stroller, etc, but also less gas than the SUV. I opposed the Van at first because she and I switch vehicle often and I don't want to drive a van. Well, I must admit, driving a van is not as bad as I thought. Love it after a while, more room, more car-like than SUV and with the third row fold down I can fit our bikes in there + stroller + my son's bike trailer and still have plenty of room left for luggage or camping stuffs. Glad bought the van and glad picked the Sienna.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    NOTHING wrong with Mini-Vans!
    Love the 06 Grand Carvan myself. Two rows of stow-able seats cannot be beat !!!!
    18.5 mpg all aroud, 24 on long highway trips...
    CDT

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Okay, here is the question... we are expecting a young'un in June and do some Teleskiing in winter... Would a Toyota or a Honda do better in the snow? Any opinions? We live at 2000' so there is not a problem driving in the snow all the danged time.

You don't even want to hear about my thesis about minivans. It is all about the false image of the SUV being the "all purpose" adventure vehicle that rarely gets driven on any dirt at all. Not to mention the fact that it is supposed to hold all sorts of stuff and in reality it can barely hold a load of groceries. Where is the storage in those things anyway... oh, wait, you have to buy a bigger one to be able to haul your family AND their stuff...

Whoa... better stop it here... I am sure there is a thread already... Dang, but SUV are such an easy target!

fc
    Booyah! Here's a Jewel n'Denial...

This honda van is fast btw. And it drives soooooo much better than our ole SUV.

fc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fc; 10-12-2006 at 10:00 PM.
    IPA will save America

AOF
    mtbr member
    Mini vans rock, especially if you have kids and bikes.
    Get one of the post mount racks (hold 4 bikes) for the back, and you are all set.
    They are great for road trips.
    For some reason it seems they have more room than every SUV I've been in (except the Excursion).

Enjoy.

-Dan
    My LBS

Take advantage of every opportunity to ride your bicycle!

A Real Winner.
    Oh yeah, minivans rule. I'm 26, and me and my wife have no kids. We just have lots of bikes. Once you get past the dorky stigma of a mini-van, they are the best vehicles ever! We have a Nissan Quest, and it's sweet! We can fit 8ft sheets of drywall in it with the doors closed flat, no problems! I have yet to find a better vehicle to transport bikes in too! Even an Excursion won't let your just roll your bikes in standing up!
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yea, I'm considering buying a van too. It would be more bike friendly than the Mini I'm currently in.

My wife absolutely refuses to drive one. IMO, I'd rather be seen in a mini-van than some big-ass SUV. Don't actually drive much so I don't feel too bad about the gas-mileage.

Thinking some rims and an inch drop and it'll be good to go. Wish I could get a nice one without all the leather/DVD crap on it though.

jrm
    mtbr member

I been eyeing conversion vans

from the late 70s early 80's. Like the chevy van duras. My dad had some time back. We'd take that thing everywhere. it was easy to drive, slept 4, kinda fugly, Nothing fancy, and and now theyre cheap.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No Mini van for me! I opt for the Audi S4 Advant wagon with a Sportworks/Thule T2 rack. Pull the rack off, and you have 340hp, and all wheel drive. F the mini van!

Mine isn't a conversion, just a regular 8 passenger. The great thing about it is that the 2 back seat fold flat into a bed so you can stealth camp anywhere.

Even with all our gear for a 2 week road trip, we can still have 2 bikes inside and sleep comfortably.

AOF
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    No Mini van for me! I opt for the Audi S4 Advant wagon with a Sportworks/Thule T2 rack. Pull the rack off, and you have 340hp, and all wheel drive. F the mini van!
    Thats why she has the mini-van and I have the WRX wagon!

A mini van is just a tall wagon!
    My LBS

Take advantage of every opportunity to ride your bicycle!

R.I.P. DogFriend

... and if we just ... All in good fun!

francois
    Sorry, I'm not going to lie to you.

My daughter didn't want anyone to know her dad drove a minivan and still will do almost anything she has to in order to avoid being seen in it. My son just razzes me about it for sport, but doesn't really care since he'll likely sleep for the duration of the trip.

The good news is that your kids are still young enough that you can put them in their place when they bag on you for driving a minivan.

Even better news is that they are one of the most useful and economically efficient utility vehicles you could own. They will adapt to a multitude of situations and are just damned handy to own. Even my wife made fun of me and vowed not to join the darkest of dark sides for fear of being labeled a minivan driving soccer-mom, but after finally getting her to try it, she just can't give it up because it's just such a useful vehicle that's easy to live with.

Once you get past the stigma, it's all good.

Ever see the commercial for the army where they remind you that somewhere there's some guy that's buying a minivan instead of diving into the ocean from a helicopter? Or the one where the loudspeaker at the gym announces that the driver of the gold minivan in the parking lot has left their lights on and the guy doesn't want to react because then everyone will know he drives a minivan?

Guess what? That's YOU!!!!!!!!

PS: Regarding the 'spinners'. Do you really want to draw that much attention to yourself? Besides, they're so........... 'yesterday', even in the 'hood. I'd go with some nice understated rims and call it a day.

Oh yeah, I'd be careful asking for a hug. If they know you drive a minivan, they'll just lure you in and give you an atomic wedgie.
    Last edited by jeffj; 10-13-2006 at 04:46 PM.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Real men drive minivans and you just have to look at the car seats as a testament to your virility.

We have a Caravan and it's the ideal vehicle when you have a big family, and often need to haul a lot of stuff... like bikes.

The coolest minivan I ever saw was at a local dealership... the owner needed a minivan and being an old school hot-rodder with an astounding collection of 60's Mopars, had the mechanics and crew build a custom Dodge Caravan with a 500+ hp V10.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH

Best shuttle vehicle I've ever been in.

It absolutely dominates minivans.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Wanna know what beats an Odyssey AND a crappy 15 year old 9mgp Dodge van?

Dodge Sprinter.

3 bikes and 3 people left enough room to actually walk around when you got tired.

It's maxed out at 12 bikes and 12 people for a shuttle run 1 hour up the mountain.

Oh yes....22mpg at 80mpg.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre

Dodge Sprinter.

3 bikes and 3 people left enough room to actually walk around when you got tired.

It's maxed out at 12 bikes and 12 people for a shuttle run 1 hour up the mountain.

Oh yes....22mpg at 80mpg.
    Sprinter is cool man. Mercedes diesel engine right? How much is one of em bad boys?

francois
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I've got one

Hello all my name is milkman I'm 32 and I drive a minivan. ...But honestly I work on cars they are kind of all the same to me. So a minivan is the most sensible vehicle out there. I bought It and broke it in at a batch party about 5yrs ago. I got to hear all the jokes "ice cream man, child malestor etc etc" especially since I'm still the only one that is still single. But when my friends and I road trip thats what we take carrys more and better milage than their proud suv's abbandoned in their driveway. As others have pointed out it gets 20 in town 25 on the hwy. easy to get parts for. I built a rack for the inside to keep my bike(s) then when I travel I don't even have to wory about it/them getting messed with or the elements beating it/them up. If I'm solo on a trip I inflate the mattress and sleep in it too. I think I've gone mountain biking with the van in about 20 states and I don't have one regret. So rest easy francois you're among friends.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

francois
    My wife went from "not over my dead body" and driving a hot rod Euro wagon to the minivan and it's a better vehicle if super combo of utility, comfort, reliability, fuel economy and power mean anything.

She chose Toyota even though I thought Honda seemed more sporty, but I'm not so dumb that I'd violate the "When Mom's happy" rule. Whether right or not, she thought it was largest inside and turned the sharpest.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Dodge Sprinter.

I've looked at them, but they're pretty pricey. If I drove a lot of miles I'd definitely fork over the extra dough for the diesel longevity.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Sprinter is cool man. Mercedes diesel engine right? How much is one of em bad boys?

francois
    yep...Mercedes diesel...PLENTY of pep too...don't think it ever downshifted w/ Cruise on on the highway...

Pretty sure they start around $32k. Ugly, but MAN is there a ton of room...

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger
    My wife went from "not over my dead body" and driving a hot rod Euro wagon to the minivan and it's a better vehicle if super combo of utility, comfort, reliability, fuel economy and power mean anything.

She chose Toyota even though I thought Honda seemed more sporty, but I'm not so dumb that I'd violate the "When Mom's happy" rule. Whether right or not, she thought it was largest inside and turned the sharpest.
    Largest between those two, perhaps. The Dodge GC is the biggest inside, 148 CF I think.
    (All my seats down. Yours may be in the garage )

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Here you go Francois,
    Now you can pimp that Odyssey J-Spec style.

http://www.mugen-power.com/street/odyssey/

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    Here you go Francois,
    Now you can pimp that Odyssey J-Spec style.

http://www.mugen-power.com/street/odyssey/
    As a former Honda S2000 owner, and a big Mugen fan, I had hopes ... but Mugen's parts are for the JDM Odyssey, which is not the same as what we have in the US. The JDM Odyssey is smaller, and doesn't have the sliding doors (they're still like the first generation Odyssey's sold in the US).

I'm still crossing my fingers that Comptech makes a supercharger for the US Odyssey's though .

Lost my signal...

The Hondas are QUICK!

francois
    Welcome to the club.

I traded a very capable Jeep Wrangler and my wife's older Civic on one earlier this year ('06 Honda) to be her new daily driver. I really enjoy driving it. Remember, the man makes the car, not the other way around.

Trust me (and the rest of us) - you'll love it.

Mine has been known to surprise and embarrass an over confident kid in his noisy "all looks" ricer. Fun stuff!

Dodge Sprinter.
    Ya, she's an old one, 17 years in fact. I have no idea how many kilometers are on it due to the 6 digit odometer, I'd guess 300K or 400K km. I've had it since 98.

I don't know what the mileage it gets due to fact that Canada is metric, so I looked it up. 13mpg city, 17mpg highway

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/6171.shtml

A Sprinter would be nice, but up here they are big bucks. Something like $38K to $50K depending on the model & options.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Minivans are great for bikes

Here is a picture of my 05 Odyssey with a couple of bikes in it. With the bikes inside I can still seat 5. Drove it cross country this summer everyone was happy. There is plenty of room. I have had as many as 4 bikes inside. With the tinted rear windows they are not really visible from outside.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I would have loved to have bought a Sprinter but the cost of one was outside our budget when we were looking for a new van... they are an excellent vehicle in every respect and get better mileage than many vehicles that carry much less.

My next van will definately be a Dodge / Mercedes Sprinter.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherbrian
    As a former Honda S2000 owner, and a big Mugen fan, I had hopes ... but Mugen's parts are for the JDM Odyssey, which is not the same as what we have in the US. The JDM Odyssey is smaller, and doesn't have the sliding doors (they're still like the first generation Odyssey's sold in the US).

I'm still crossing my fingers that Comptech makes a supercharger for the US Odyssey's though .
    Read this article. You may be in luck!

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/f...ged_accord_v6/

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Would have liked a Sprinter too!

Just too much money, especially once you go crazy with all the options. Every little thing is an option. By the time I figured out what I wanted, it was close to $40K. Yikes!

Plus, I don't think a Sprinter would fit in our garage, even the one with the lower roof. Could be mistaken about that, but those things are pretty tall.

So, we recently bought a used '05 Odyssey with only 15K miles on it. The EX-L version with heated leather seats, and a DVD player (like we NEEDED that). Anyway, much smoother, quicker and quieter that our old MPV. Gets worse gas mileage though.

I wanted a Nissan Quest for the folding 2nd-row seats, but those don't retain their value at all.

We traded-in our '04 Mazda MPV ES, which we bought new and really liked, because it was smaller than the Odyssey, and handled better. However, there's no Mazda dealer in Grand Junction, and any warranty work MUST be done at a Mazda dealer.... IN DENVER! But of course, you must figure out how to go 250 miles to pick it up after it's fixed. Huh? Anyway, the tranny was acting up, and I just didn't want the hassle. So it had to go down the road.

Minivans are GREAT!

mtbr member
    I don't mind vans either, but i definitely love wagons.

If I had my way, I'd get a Volvo wagon.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Too bad you minivan guys didn't buy an astro/safari van, those are the best.

It's actually a "truck" in the disguise of a minivan instead of being a car in the disguise as a van.

Usually minivans have a larger car engine, car tranny, unibody design, no solid axle and crappy towing packages that can't tow more then 2000-3000 of ROLLING weight.

The astra/safari van has a small TRUCK engine, TRUCK TRANNY, full-framed chassis design, solid rear axle and can tow over 6000lbs of rolling weight.

This is a reason you see so many of these as company vans and you don't see mini-vans as company vans.

IMO mini-vans have no purpose since the Astro/Safari even came out BEFORE the idea of a mini-van.

You mini-van guys got owned. You could have had everything a mini-van would give you and ALOT more while costing about the same/less.
    The 4.3 V6 and 4L60E tranny haved been used successfully by chevy longer then some of us here have been born.
    Last edited by MillerSHO; 10-18-2006 at 02:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I drove an Astro once and maybe because it is truck-based, I felt it was one of the WORST vehicles I had ever driven. Granted it was a rental, but it only had a few thousand miles on it. The steering was very vague (like a truck); the brakes sucked (like some GM trucks); it was noisy and had a horrible ride (like a truck); and it sucked gas like a truck. Yeah, what a wonderful vehicle! LOL! I was happiest when I turned it back in to the rental agency.

Nope, give me a vehicle that drives, handles, steers, stops and gets (almost) the gas mileage of a car. If I wanted a truck-based van I would have bought one, but a GOOD one like a Dodge (Mercedes) Sprinter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The astro is a huge POS - it wasn't just the one you were driving.

Bad gas mileage, poor power, horrific handling and bad maintenance record. Yea, you've been able to pickup a used for for next to nothing for years - and there's a very good reason for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Well I drive an accord and a Tahoe but my wife's dad drove an astrovan since 91 and he just recently sold it.

He only ever had a few minor issue's with it and we beat on that thing, towed every other week and moved more people/stuff then you could imagine.

I need to ask you a question? Do you want a car or a van cause all the thing you just mentioned are attributes that a car would have, not a truck or a van.

Gas mileage? It gets GREAT mileage considering it has a frame, has an axle, truck engine that puts out 270ft/lbs or torque and a truck transmission to pull LOTS OF WEIGHT.

Poor power? It puts out more torque and off idle power then any mini-van engine you can name. Sorry it doesn't have V-tec for those races you'll be in while driving your mini-van.

Handling? Again do you want a car or a van? This "poor handling" can tow 3 times as much total weight as a mini-van.

Bad maintinience record? Well I know 3 familys that have owned them and they all did really good. Keep in mind an american made auto's no doubt will need more up keep then an overseas mini-van but then again your over the sea's mini-van costs a small fortune vs. what you get. Again the 4.3V6 with the TH400/4L60E tranny is one of the most tried and true engine/tranny combo's out of ANYTHING out there. It's been used for more then 20 years.

Hey whatever makes you guys happy, it's your money.
    Me, I like to get my money's worth and if I was to get a van, the astro/safri has the best ratio of cost vs. functionality.

Again, its why you see many used as business vans.
    Last edited by MillerSHO; 10-18-2006 at 04:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Clearly everything is a compromise. Tow rating means nothing to me - but I'm sure you recognize that towing a serious load with a V6 is a compromise as well.

Just because I'm willing to sacrifice some car qualities for the increased cargo room of a van doesn't mean I'm ready to sacrifice all of them.

Anyway, this is all theoretical for me anyway. My primary vehicle is my bike. Secondary is my motorcycle, and my car is a mini which typically only comes out in the rain. The first kid is on the way though, which is the only reason I'd consider spending money on a larger vehicle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffS
    Clearly everything is a compromise. Tow rating means nothing to me - but I'm sure you recognize that towing a serious load with a V6 is a compromise as well.

Just because I'm willing to sacrifice some car qualities for the increased cargo room of a van doesn't mean I'm ready to sacrifice all of them.

Anyway, this is all theoretical for me anyway. My primary vehicle is my bike. Secondary is my motorcycle, and my car is a mini which typically only comes out in the rain. The first kid is on the way though, which is the only reason I'd consider spending money on a larger vehicle.
    I'm assuming you don't own a house with a real yard either?

As soon as you get a house with a good yard you'll understand why I brought up towing, that's all I've done since I've moved into my house, tow/move things.

You'll quickly watch your two main forms of transportation be in the garage alot more while your gas burning 4 door automobile gets used more, you'll see.

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MillerSHO
    I'm assuming you don't own a house with a real yard either?

As soon as you get a house with a good yard you'll understand why I brought up towing, that's all I've done since I've moved into my house, tow/move things.

You'll quickly watch your two main forms of transportation be in the garage alot more while your gas burning 4 door automobile gets used more, you'll see.
    Just got home with almost an enitre bathroom in my Minivan, kids seat still in too.
    Vanity, sink, toilet, tank, seat, wax ring (Ok tiny yes...) Still enough room for a light fixture and shower doors....And 18.5 mpg avg.
    Drives and handles very well, belying its size..
    CDT

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    Just got home with almost an enitre bathroom in my Minivan, kids seat still in too.
    Vanity, sink, toilet, tank, seat, wax ring (Ok tiny yes...) Still enough room for a light fixture and shower doors....And 18.5 mpg avg.
    Drives and handles very well, belying its size..
    CDT
    That's cool.

No doubt mini-vans have some room to spare, no one is doubting that.

mtbr member

Good job! We got one again too!!

We got a 2007 Ody. This is our second Mini van. First on was a 91 Caravan. We gave up our 2003 VW Passat Wagon(great handling car, but to small for my family). Just needed more room as the kids have gotten bigger. Bought a Reese Hitch on the web, installed it with a friend, and plan on buying a Softride 4 place hitch rack. I have the rails on the roof and already have the Yakima bars and clamps so we can run the Yakima Space Case for winter trips as well as room for a couple of bike rack trays on the top too!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana
    We got a 2007 Ody. This is our second Mini van. First on was a 91 Caravan. We gave up our 2003 VW Passat Wagon(great handling car, but to small for my family). Just needed more room as the kids have gotten bigger. Bought a Reese Hitch on the web, installed it with a friend, and plan on buying a Softride 4 place hitch rack. I have the rails on the roof and already have the Yakima bars and clamps so we can run the Yakima Space Case for winter trips as well as room for a couple of bike rack trays on the top too!
    Passat to Odyssey. That sounds familiar. I'm hanging on to my Passat since it's modded been good to the family. However, I think I'll lose the Passat next year.

Odyssey is cool. I feel like Captain Kirk on the controls. Or, I just hang out in the back with the kids and we watch Roam. No Barney on this cruiser kiddies!

francois
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

Honda hauler

No kids, no rear seats, and going on 35k with this rig.
    Scars are like tattoos - only with better memories...

Slow climbin' clyde
    Oct 2006
    Here's ours. Been a great vehicle for many a long haul. Thule takes good care of my babies on top.

mtbr member

New question here. Anybody use a Thule T2 or Yakima Hookup ........

Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana
    on a Honda Ody? Wondering if the rack hits on steep inclines or transitions back down a steep driveway for example. If anyone out there is using the Thule t2 or Yakima Hookup on their Honda Ody would like to hear if it is working out. My backup is to buy the Softride 4 place hitch rack. Thx.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member

what's painful at $3 per gallon ???

Quote Originally Posted by sonyisdope
    Hell Yes! Vans Rule!!!

my good buddies van. However not mini by any stretch of the imagination.

Part-time rider
    Found this on google search...you can find more here: http://www.bilforumet.net/showthread.php?t=65590&page=4
    "It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be"

Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb
    my good buddies van. However not mini by any stretch of the imagination.
    Is your friend on the 4x4 Van Yahoo group by any chance?

Just bought the same thing as your friend, only a little newer. (Photo was taken before it got a bath.)

Should be great for road trips off the beaten path.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

muahahaha
    Had my beater 89 caravan turbo for 6 years. Its basically my truck now and mostly just gets driven in the winter or whenever I need to haul crap. Its pretty peppy for a minivan.

Aquaman
    Francois....I canít believe you beat me to it. I was Soooo tired of all the car posts and no one admitting to owning a minivan. I too just bought a minivan after my wife totaled the SUV when you hit a bear on HWY 80. All my riding buddies make fun of me but when we go riding we take my van. Even when we went to Trail heads demo last week with no bikes, they all still wanted to take the van. Tons of room, good mileage, quiet, and drives fast. Only problems are: not Subaru cool and it rides very low in the rear. Hey when you sell that Passat....email me I am in the market for a wagon for a second car....I also need one of those cool stickers for my van.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canker

muahahaha
    Had my beater 89 caravan turbo for 6 years. Its basically my truck now and mostly just gets driven in the winter or whenever I need to haul crap. Its pretty peppy for a minivan.

Now THAT is a minivan I wouldn't be embarassed to drive. Rare/cool little minivans.

To the originator of the thread....the Honda is a great choice. Actually a nice looking van.
    Signature

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by ffwlwhite
    Francois....I canít believe you beat me to it. I was Soooo tired of all the car posts and no one admitting to owning a minivan. I too just bought a minivan after my wife totaled the SUV when you hit a bear on HWY 80. All my riding buddies make fun of me but when we go riding we take my van. Even when we went to Trail heads demo last week with no bikes, they all still wanted to take the van. Tons of room, good mileage, quiet, and drives fast. Only problems are: not Subaru cool and it rides very low in the rear. Hey when you sell that Passat....email me I am in the market for a wagon for a second car....I also need one of those cool stickers for my van.
    Haaa thread's still alive. A year and a half on the van. It's still awesome. I've had 4 people in it, Three bikes and a burley and all our riding gear IN the van. I should get a hitch rack soon.

But the bottom line is it's great for the kids, specially the huge powered sliding doors. Every day, they rush in and out of those doors 6x. It makes their life easier for years and years.

It's cool I have a small fast car too when I get van burnout.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Grand Cherokee to Honda Odyssey--still hurts just to say it. But hell the manual stays 260hp-smoked a Camaro on the interstate, he backed down at 130+ ( maybe a minivan is a cool sleeper?). Oh well still hurts to say "minivan"
    "There is a road--no simple highway"

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team.

BRATATATATATATATATATA

Tribe Member
    New minivan owner here also...traded in the wife's turbo volvo wagon. With a 1yr old, another one on the way and 2 lab's...there was not enough room. 07 Town and Country with leather, stow and go, heated seats..all the options. Will be great for road trips.

I got to keep my BMW wagon though...that is the ultimate driving machine. Will carry 4with bikes on top and full camping gear with the thule box.

We really wanted to get a VW Camper Eurovan but could not find any with low miles that were not $35K....crazy talk for a car that is already 5 years old, since they have not brought them to the states since 03.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kary
    Here is a picture of my 05 Odyssey with a couple of bikes in it. With the bikes inside I can still seat 5. Drove it cross country this summer everyone was happy. There is plenty of room. I have had as many as 4 bikes inside. With the tinted rear windows they are not really visible from outside.

This is why I laugh at everyone who owns an element. It was a half hour job to try and get two downhill bikes with gear in one, and you ended up with a tire as an armrest. I love the cargo measurements of the oddy. If my memory is correct, there is more room in the oddy behind the 2nd row of seats then in the whole element. I also like being able to load it up with sheetrock and plywood, again laughing at all the people with trucks who have to secure their load because its half hanging out the bed.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromedToast
    This is why I laugh at everyone who owns an element. It was a half hour job to try and get two downhill bikes with gear in one, and you ended up with a tire as an armrest. I love the cargo measurements of the oddy. If my memory is correct, there is more room in the oddy behind the 2nd row of seats then in the whole element. I also like being able to load it up with sheetrock and plywood, again laughing at all the people with trucks who have to secure their load because its half hanging out the bed.

Toast, do you suck at Tetris? (you might)

There is more room in an Odyssey lengthwise. Certainly not heightwise though.

I've owned an Odyssey and I still own an Element. Hands down (for us) the Element is much more bike friendly. Two bikes inside with gear is laughably easy...so is three bikes on the hitch and two more on the roof.

I laugh at those who carry sheetrock and plywood in their wife's minivan.

Aquaman
    My wife loves to take pictures, so I thought I would post some of my van.
    By the way I would really have liked to get a Sprinter but considering it costs in the neighborhood of $40g's I thought I would save myself $32,000 and get a 2002 Honda odyssey. Ad a $70 Thule hitch rack from REI's scratch and dent sale that loves to scrape on everything and a Yakima Racket box from CL for $120 makes it a sweet affordable road trip machine

Members who have read this thread: 0