I hate roof mounted bike racks- Mtbr.com
    utilitarian biker

I hate roof mounted bike racks

Worst part is that this is the third time in 10 years I've done this. The first time caved in the roof of my vw. At least this time It was just a bent tray.
    Long live long rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    WTF happened? It at least looks like the car (a Subaru?) is undamaged...
    "No, you're going to be promoted to GLG-20."

utilitarian biker
    Tried to drive into the garage with the bike on.

yeah the Sub is fine...

Garage door +1
    Bike rack 0
    Long live long rides.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Get into the habit of putting a red cone or something on the floor of the garage when you leave... or, toss your garage door remote under your seat or somewhere you can't hardly find it so when you pull in you can't just open the garage door out of habit... when I forget to put my red cone down, I toss my remote into the back of the car.

We're all dying to know what happened to your bike!
    I read that on the internet.

Paste eater
    I can almost set my watch to the "i tried to drive into my garage with my bike on the roof rack" threads.

I'd like to say I'd never do that, but I KNOW i'd jinx myself... Maybe it's a good thing I don't have a garage?

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Medic
    Worst part is that this is the third time in 10 years I've done this. The first time caved in the roof of my vw. At least this time It was just a bent tray.
    Some people are meant to own roof racks, some are not. We've all have our own personal mental blocks, sounds like the roof rack into the garage might be one of yours - no offense intended.

Suggest you cut your losses now and go for a hitch rack before episode #4. You might even be able to use the Sportworks trays (once repaired?) to convert into hitch rack use with the addition of some other parts, in order to reduce the expense.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I like roof racks but my wife did take out my Giant OCR at the Pearl City Japanese place's parking garage a few years back---and then right be4 we left Hawaii she nearly took out by Specialized Allez---luckily just the seatpost snapped that time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    I like roof racks but my wife did take out my Giant OCR at the Pearl City Japanese place's parking garage a few years back---and then right be4 we left Hawaii she nearly took out by Specialized Allez---luckily just the seatpost snapped that time.
    Right across from Zippy's?

Medic, I find it easier to not have a garage like somebody else mentioned. But with that comes landlords, monthly rent, silly rules, no on site storage....maybe it's easier for a cone. Or maybe....did you do this for a new bike?!? I like that plan!

Bummer this happened.
    "No, you're going to be promoted to GLG-20."

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, I don't see the point. You have to lift the bike way up there, and it kills your aerodynamics, it will cost you gas even with no bikes up there, and with bikes the penalty is signifiant. Hitch-racks pay for themselves.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    yeah, hows the bike?

I had a beater road bike up top when I did mine in. Needed a new fork and headset.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

hmm..

It was the Gyotaku's going up the hill on the left side with an underground parking garage. can't remember about Zippy's--know there's 1 in ze area. But maybe I was in a Zippy's 10 times the entire almost 3 years. I preferred the smaller lunch type eateries like L and L drive in. Damn come to think of it I miss Phuket Thai and Big City Diner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mynamesrob

Adobo Lover
    Yakima use to make this device that was magnetic and attached to the hood of your car. When you driving the wind would keep it down. When you stopped it popped up and reminded you that you have cargo up top. I think it was offered in the late 90's.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

utilitarian biker
    Bikes have all been ok, for the three times it's happened. Twice on my Santa Cruz super light,. Luckily it hits the gutter and then popps off the rack and rolls off the back fo the car. (break away bike rack!?) The third time I caught it quick enough but it already bent the tray. Surprisingly the wheels never bent or anything. (crossmax xl's)

Yeah I'm tempted to buy a T2 Thule hitch rack. or just convert the sporkworks ones I have to a hitch mount.

I have since found a temp solution. I leave a hanging cardboard sign attached to the bottom of the garage door with string so when I open the door it hangs down and is swaying in front of me. Let's see if this works.

Stupid mental block.
    Long live long rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich A.
    Get into the habit of putting a red cone or something on the floor of the garage when you leave... or, toss your garage door remote under your seat or somewhere you can't hardly find it so when you pull in you can't just open the garage door out of habit... when I forget to put my red cone down, I toss my remote into the back of the car.
    My neightbour across the street is a 70 year old italian man that races road bikes and I guess in his old age has really become forgetful. This year alone he must have driven into his garage with his bike on the roof 3 times. He finally started doing what you suggested, moving the opener to the trunk or some other place and it seems to have helped him.

Adobo Lover
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

utilitarian biker
    Quote Originally Posted by 95Stumpy

HAHA that is so

good idea though.
    Long live long rides.

mtbr member

Have a garage but

Quote Originally Posted by Mynamesrob

Medic, I find it easier to not have a garage like somebody else mentioned. But with that comes landlords, monthly rent, silly rules, no on site storage....maybe it's easier for a cone. Or maybe....did you do this for a new bike?!? I like that plan!

Bummer this happened.
    Garages are for bikes, workstands, and tools. Cars can stay outside.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Yeah, I don't see the point. You have to lift the bike way up there, and it kills your aerodynamics, it will cost you gas even with no bikes up there, and with bikes the penalty is signifiant. Hitch-racks pay for themselves.
    After using both types I know hitch-racks have their problems too, bikes will get very dirty in rain and/or on dirt roads, some have fit issues with FS frames, some block access to trunk, all affect handling on small cars as well (old Civic with couple of bikes on the roof was much worse though, that one night when I avoided deers.. ).

My current setup is Thule hitch-rack as I don't enjoy lifting bikes on top of the minivan.

Single Speed Junkie
    Looks like you got off easy this time around (Depending upon condition of the bike post garage door.

Any one ever got a ticket running a hitch mount? Heard of someone local getting picked up for this because it was blocking the plate and tail lights.

Derailleurless
    I agree hitch mounts are great for easy loading and aerodynamics, but for the years I ran one I was always nervous: blocked tail lights made me a rear-ender candidate; lots of pavement scrapes on driveways; didn't like my bikes low and "hidden" in public parking areas, i.e. the coffee shop. Plus I hated dealing with the rack when I needed access to my lift gate.

I'd like to see something for roof racks similar to the 7-eleven door chime. Pulling into your driveway, if the bikes on the roof break the beam, then a bright strobe activates inside the garage as a warning. Who wants to try that?
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    I agree hitch mounts are great for easy loading and aerodynamics, but for the years I ran one I was always nervous: blocked tail lights made me a rear-ender candidate (snip)
    Most European countries require additional tail lights and license plate on hitch-mounted racks, seems that those models are not allowed / available in US?
    http://www.thule.com/Thule/ProductLi...____33580.aspx

jrm
    mtbr member

Yup a trailer light...

[as long as you have a harness you can mount a brake light with a magnit to your hitch rack...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    please someone help. I just became a member and want to post a question but have been looking at this website for 30 minutes and can't see anything resembling a "post a question" link. email me at [email protected]

i worship Mr T
    whoops!

i've done that once. luckily i had a small bike and a small car so the only thing that happened was i popped the rack off the roof and scraped the very top of my saddle on the garage door.

my roof rack also once saved my car from significant damage. my neighbor's tree fell crushing the 2 cars parked behind mine. the good news was that my car was far enough forward so that the trunk did not crush it but a large limb came down on one of my trays. the tray bent and the roof rack popped off the roof on that side but the car itself only suffered a small ding. unfortunately my house was not so lucky and a large part of the tree fell through my roof. too bad i didn't have a roof rack on my house!!

i recently bought a new car (Subaru Forester) that is significantly larger and taller than my old car (Honda CRX) and mounted my rack on it. i have no garage so i don't have to worry about driving into it with the bike on top but i did discover the other night that the phone line wire from my house to the closest telephone pole was lower than the height of my bike on top of the new car. down came the wire as i backed into the driveway, blocking my car and my neighbor's cars into their driveways. doh. the phone company came out the next day and i had them tack the wire up about 5' higher.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Medic

I have since found a temp solution. I leave a hanging cardboard sign attached to the bottom of the garage door with string so when I open the door it hangs down and is swaying in front of me. Let's see if this works.

Stupid mental block.
    This is exactly what I did after my first and only hit. 6yrs and counting

Stray Bullet
    I've whacked a tree leaving the local DJ spot. Luckily the tray broke and my handle bars spun around but nothing else was hurt.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by markom
    After using both types I know hitch-racks have their problems too, bikes will get very dirty in rain and/or on dirt roads, some have fit issues with FS frames, some block access to trunk, all affect handling on small cars as well (old Civic with couple of bikes on the roof was much worse though, that one night when I avoided deers.. ).

My current setup is Thule hitch-rack as I don't enjoy lifting bikes on top of the minivan.
    Well, raising the CG (putting bikes on your roof) also affects handling greatly, and bikes get dirty on top of the car for many reasons too...I guess if you drive around with your bike on the car everywhere (like when you're not planning on riding) then it could be an issue. Yeah, there may be nothing that is "perfect", but it fixes enough of the huge disadvantages of the roof rack to make the roof rack seem pretty dumb IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Members who have read this thread: 0