I ain't got kids but I got a "Mom."- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814

    I ain't got kids but I got a "Mom."

    Dumped the 11.2 mpg truck.
    Opted for something a bit more "mom" and another 8-9mpg around town and 13mpg on the highway.....

    So far, I can carry about 4 inside...
    With people and the racks on + trailer hitch...figure I can carry about 6 people, 6 bikes, and their stuff at about 23mpg instead of 12.

    nice.




  2. #2
    Lost my signal...
    Reputation: HikerXJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    98
    Welcome to the club (though I have kids).

    Well engineered, economical, practical, and more nimble than you'd expect. Nice indeed...

  3. #3
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,555
    ha, ha ha.




    <img src="http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=202741&stc=1&d=1160715 620">

    fc
    IPA will save America

  4. #4
    Daddy of 3 now!
    Reputation: daddy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    261

    Go Odyssey!

    Great choice. We love ours..

  5. #5
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    ha, ha ha.

    fc
    i thought you might chime in. =)

    i have no plans for a full Mugen kit though.

    now I'll have to dig up my Mtbr stickers from Sea Otter two years ago...I've gone through too many bikes and cars...I maybe running out!

  6. #6
    Maestro
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    80

    Nice!

    Nice Van!

    Minivans are great bike haulers.

    You can haul you stuff inside, safe and secure. You always have an air conditioned changing room with you.

    I haul 5 bikes and riders with my minivan. All the weight makes it ride low which reduces the aerodynamic drag! LOL.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    47
    More love for the minivans! Here's my new $3 bike rack in the back of my minivan. (Ok, it's not so mini, but it still gets 24mpg)



    Az

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    540
    Just a matter of time before I ditch one of my cars for a van too. My major issue is the need for 4WD on atleast one vehicle.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    47
    Chrysler used to have AWD as an option. VW sells AWD vans in Europe... (Turbo diesel too! 37mpg in a van!) but apparently the minivan market in the US is tough. I head that both Ford and Chebby are dropping thier minivans entirely.

    Az

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    540
    No diesel for me. Hate everything about them. Rather support the local economy and burn E85 if I don't have plain old gas.

    Yea, I don't blame ford or chevy for dropping minivans right now. Neither company makes a good one. Dodge, Toyota and Honda have that segment wrapped up tight.

  11. #11
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Quote Originally Posted by DocAltie
    Just a matter of time before I ditch one of my cars for a van too. My major issue is the need for 4WD on atleast one vehicle.
    That's why we have this one!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    That's why we have this one!
    A van and an Element you definately should carry a PURSE

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dekes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by Az Barber
    Chrysler used to have AWD as an option. VW sells AWD vans in Europe... (Turbo diesel too! 37mpg in a van!) but apparently the minivan market in the US is tough. I head that both Ford and Chebby are dropping thier minivans entirely.

    Az
    diesel belongs in lorries and locomotives, not in a car.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekes
    diesel belongs in lorries and locomotives, not in a car.
    Probably one of the most uninformed replies I've ever seen.

  15. #15
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Quote Originally Posted by neville
    A van and an Element you definately should carry a PURSE
    it's not a purse...it's a men's european carry-all.

    i tried the big truck thing about 5 times over the last 15 years. i'm over it.

  16. #16
    Witty McWitterson
    Reputation: ~martini~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,024
    Quote Originally Posted by DocAltie
    No diesel for me. Hate everything about them. Rather support the local economy and burn E85 if I don't have plain old gas.
    Yep. Lots of uninformed 'round these parts. Ethanol IS NOT the great grand saviour we're all looking for. It doesn't burn as efficiently, requiring more of it, and it doesn't provide as much power for its given volume. Its production is also highly invovled, requiring LOTS of water(from already taxed aquifers). The corn used is being diverted from other uses like, oh, feeding our meat supplies, in turn eventually making meat more expensive. Then there's the fact that so much demand is being created for corn that we'll soon enter a monoculture state on the farms. This is also not good for production as single crosp deplete nutrients, where as multi-cripped fields replenish/recycle.

    And to say that diesel isn't supporting the US market. Uh, look no further than bio-diesel. 100% made in the US. Burns cleaner and more efficiently than its oil based cousin. The BLUETEC engines from VW/Daimler Chrysler/Audi meet [and surpass] ALL emissions standards, from Cali to New York. The US would do well to embrace the diesel, IMO.
    Just a regular guy.

  17. #17
    ALX
    ALX is offline
    BLANK
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    14
    "Everyone with a minivan please return your man-card immediately and place your testes in the bucket on the right, unless you're married and your wife has them in her purse already"

    You could NEVER get me to drive a minivan no matter how economical or well engineered they are. I'm lucky my wife hates them too!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by ALX
    You could NEVER get me to drive a minivan no matter how economical or well engineered they are. I'm lucky my wife hates them too!
    So what you're saying is that no matter how much practical sense it may make, you will always take the most stylish route? Sounds like a traditional feminine point of view to me.

    The real men on this forum are the ones that can think for themselves and don't tie thier identities to thier automobiles. We find a tool most suited for the job and could care less what Madison Ave or other folks think.

    But hey. To each his own.

    Az

  19. #19
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,717

    Nice camera...

    ... and white tee shirt!


  20. #20
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,717

    Is that a VW Eurovan?

    Nice, and you really get 24 MPG?

    How's the reliability on that? It seems that if it's basically the drivetrain from a VR6 Golf, it should be pretty good.

    Thinking of one myself.

  21. #21
    ride hard or die
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    559
    That is one of the funniest posts I have ever read.

  22. #22
    ALX
    ALX is offline
    BLANK
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Az Barber
    So what you're saying is that no matter how much practical sense it may make, you will always take the most stylish route? Sounds like a traditional feminine point of view to me.

    The real men on this forum are the ones that can think for themselves and don't tie thier identities to thier automobiles. We find a tool most suited for the job and could care less what Madison Ave or other folks think.

    But hey. To each his own.

    Az

    Let me get this straight, you're saying driving a minivan is "Manly" and anyone who doesn't see it that way has a feminine point of view?

    So you're not tying your identity to an automobile yet you go on a forum an post pictures of your van? Right, your're completely excused from your comment.

    And you're right, to each his own. Only reason I hate minivans is not because of the "soccer-mom" stigma that comes from them but maybe because it was the family vehicle growing up and I was forced to drive one as a teen.

    I just think there are other vehicles that are as practical as minivans without having to sacrifice style is all i'm saying.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dekes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by ALX
    Let me get this straight, you're saying driving a minivan is "Manly" and anyone who doesn't see it that way has a feminine point of view?

    So you're not tying your identity to an automobile yet you go on a forum an post pictures of your van? Right, your're completely excused from your comment.

    And you're right, to each his own. Only reason I hate minivans is not because of the "soccer-mom" stigma that comes from them but maybe because it was the family vehicle growing up and I was forced to drive one as a teen.

    I just think there are other vehicles that are as practical as minivans without having to sacrifice style is all i'm saying.
    What on earth could be more practical than a mini van? An SUV? get real ...

  24. #24
    ALX
    ALX is offline
    BLANK
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekes
    What on earth could be more practical than a mini van? An SUV? get real ...
    It all depends on your definition of practical.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    59
    Minivan? Cheapest vehicle on the planet to build. Ill handling pieces of crap!.. Ask any mechanic what the worst minivan on the market is and everytime they say Caravan... I would rather drive a Suburban at 3.50 agallon then a minivan. Least I know in a accident I will survive.

  26. #26
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,555
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster2
    Minivan? Cheapest vehicle on the planet to build. Ill handling pieces of crap!.. Ask any mechanic what the worst minivan on the market is and everytime they say Caravan... I would rather drive a Suburban at 3.50 agallon then a minivan. Least I know in a accident I will survive.

    Ahh, I've rented a lot of Caravans. They are crap.

    Honda Odyssey's are really from another planet. It's so smooth and powerful it's almost cool. Almost.

    fc
    IPA will save America

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.