Hybrids Are Cool- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hybrids Are Cool

Today I was walking through a parking lot and I see one of these huge Chevy's

I begin hatin' because I that's what I do to SUVs. Then I notice "HYBRID" is plastered all over the side of the bloated truck. I hate even more. I think to myself "You really think you are saving the planet by driving that hybrid beast."

Then I walk by and I hear the big engine start up, but it does not crank over a couple turns a regular car, then fire up. It lights up instantly with its powerful electric motor. Of, course, all hybrids do this, but most have little puny engines that are not much louder than a mouse. My Honda Insight only has a 1 liter.

I sill dislike the waist of SUVs, but when I'm bike commuting, its nice to here a hybrids electric motor wine down to a stop at a light and know that the engine is not blowing smoke in my face while waiting for a green light.
    Last edited by Killroy; 11-01-2009 at 10:04 PM.

Pretty in Pink
    And?
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I hope the fact that I drive a Wrangler that gets sub 15MPG's annoys the bejusus out of you

mtbr member
    Big heavy cars suck fuel, hybrid or not, and these vehicles are more dangerous to cyclist, but its kinda nice NOT being gassed at a stoplight. That's all

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilonpill
    I hope the fact that I drive a Wrangler that gets sub 15MPG's annoys the bejusus out of you
    You did not pay $50,000 to be a hypocrite.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy
    Big heavy cars suck fuel, hybrid or not, and these vehicles are more dangerous to cyclist, but its kinda nice NOT being gassed at a stoplight. That's all
    they are also very capable of hauling people and cargo.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 9GUY9
    they are also very capable of hauling people and cargo.
    They are still hugely un-necessary and overweight. I'd be impressed with one that weighs 2000lbs less and has a hitch so you can tow a trailer when you need to haul "cargo". The aerodynamics of a brick are still going to be poor for efficiency, especially at higher speeds.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Pretty in Pink
    I will stick to my Jeep Grand Cherokee, enough room for 4 bikes and gear, and a place for me to sleep at night out in the woods. 16 mpg for a mobile camp? consider it done. Oh when I am not driving the jeep I am driving a 1988 Camaro with a edelbrock 350, 10 mpg, but jesus it will take me 10 miles 2 times faster so that means I am really getting 20mpg right?
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    That Chevy hybrid still only get like 20mpg. Not particularly great gas mileage, especially considering the amount of CO2 that's likely produced in making the battery.

mtbr member
    shitty design of a truck, doesn't actually get good gas mileage.

SUVs / Hybrid cars are different, when you combine them like in the OP, they become confused, hence a shitty car.

i like my accord =)
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    the hybrid tahoe gets 33% better in town fuel economy than the non hybrid version. Thats a huge increase.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkBarron
    Oh when I am not driving the jeep I am driving a 1988 Camaro with a edelbrock 350, 10 mpg, but jesus it will take me 10 miles 2 times faster so that means I am really getting 20mpg right?
    Time to go back to school.

Pretty in Pink
    Quote Originally Posted by solara
    Time to go back to school.
    haha.
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    How can a large 4X4 truck be considered unnecessary in a MTB forum? I've been to countless trails that required a 4X4 truck to get to (low clearance AWD would not cut it).

Hybrids even better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc
    How can a large 4X4 truck be considered unnecessary in a MTB forum?
    Your suppose to ride your bike. Not take your bike for a ride.

Yet, the people who drive to the trail heads are usually the easyist to pass once they are on the trail. I usually hold somthing back that I was brewing so that they can chock on my exhaust when I pass them.

mtbr member
    Hybrid's aren't really better for the environment. The production of the batteries is a terribly inefficient and un-green process. It's really a car for a poser eco-nut. You can pretend all you want, but that thing is still a pig and still terrible for the environment.

If you need capacity, buy a van of some sort.
    Many of the SUV's on the road today are an inflation of someone's ego, or insurance that the other driver will be hurt more seriously in a crash. Very few are actually used for their intended purpose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrampBredo
    Hybrid's aren't really better for the environment. The production of the batteries is a terribly inefficient and un-green process. It's really a car for a poser eco-nut. You can pretend all you want, but that thing is still a pig and still terrible for the environment.

If you need capacity, buy a van of some sort.
    I agree with the conservative approach of driving a conventional used van rather than disposing of a whole car and buying a brand new one. (the reverse of Cash for Clunkers Program)

Yet, writing off all hybrids as worse for the environment because of their batteries is misinformation from the internet. (Hummer vs Prius Debunk/Fact Check). Anytime you buy something that cost $50,000 there is going to be a huge energy and material impact, regardless of technology. The common hybrid battery is NiMh, which is a WAY better material, energy and power density than the Lead Acid starter battery YOUR car. Yet, just like your hazardous material Lead Acid starter battery, the non- hazardous NiMh and the future’s Lithium-Ion batteries are recyclable.

The Hybrid Tahoe is still pig and dangerous to the people that are really doing good by riding their bikes, but it uses and imports 189 less gallons of oil from the big sand box, and spews 2.5 tons less greenhouse gasses on average than it conventional brother. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Killroy -

Hope you don't own a dog:
    http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/280866

Lies, [email protected] lies and statistics....

I love this junk.

LP

mtbr member

Yet, writing off all hybrids as worse for the environment because of their batteries is misinformation from the internet. (Hummer vs Prius Debunk/Fact Check). Anytime you buy something that cost $50,000 there is going to be a huge energy and material impact, regardless of technology. The common hybrid battery is NiMh, which is a WAY better material, energy and power density than the Lead Acid starter battery YOUR car. Yet, just like your hazardous material Lead Acid starter battery, the non- hazardous NiMh and the future’s Lithium-Ion batteries are recyclable.
    Interesting... did not know that. Good article.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you want to limit yourself to trails within riding distance, have at it. Sounds way too boring for me (and 99.9% of MTB riders out there I'm sure).

Yet, the people who drive to the trail heads are usually the easyist to pass once they are on the trail. I usually hold somthing back that I was brewing so that they can chock on my exhaust when I pass them.

mtbr member
    i take it that you don't have a car? lol

so if you had to travel 50-60+miles to get to a mtb park, you'd bike there right?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

This irks me. When I finally found a job last winter, I realized that i was faced with the fact that I could either have a 45 mile commute to work and a 30 minute bike ride to the trails, or a 5 minute commute and a 45 minute drive to the trails...guess which one I chose. I get to ride my mountain bike less, but in the end, its better for the environment I guess.

Not everyone has flexible jobs, and not everyone can live right next to a mountain bike trail. Even if I DID live a 30 minute bike ride from the trail, If I've got 2 hours to ride, I rather spend them on the trail than riding my mountain bike on the road for an hour and be left with only an hour on the trails.

As for the original topic, have you maybe thought that perhaps some people have more than two kids? Perhaps they carry things on a regular basis?

Everyone is not you, sorry. You cannot apply your lifestyle to everyone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by msrothwe
    As for the original topic, have you maybe thought that perhaps some people have more than two kids? Perhaps they carry things on a regular basis?

Everyone is not you, sorry. You cannot apply your lifestyle to everyone.
    IMO SUV's are almost never necessary. Modern SUV's (at least most of them, including the one pictured) are almost useless off road. They're too big and bloated to work off road without major modification. This leaves them with carrying capacity- they've got it, but so do vans and a few other cars- which economically and environmentally make alot more sense.

mtbr member
    May 2006

So when I drive my 2009 F-250 diesel (which gets ohh about 11 mpg hwy and burns unclean diesel) 20 miles to the trailhead and you ride your 29er fixie 20 miles to the trailhead, do you really think you will pass me on the trail? I will even ride my 40lb DH Glory. I'm sure the Glory is overkill though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez
    So when I drive my 2009 F-250 diesel (which gets ohh about 11 mpg hwy and burns unclean diesel) 20 miles to the trailhead and you ride your 29er fixie 20 miles to the trailhead, do you really think you will pass me on the trail? I will even ride my 40lb DH Glory. I'm sure the Glory is overkill though.
    Even without knowing Killroy, I can say that he probably will. The "bike everywhere" type is generally faster than "drive everywhere" type. 20 miles isn't actually that far either, can be done in under an hour depending on the bike. And when did he say he'd be on a 29'er fixie?
    I've got a better question: who got to ride their bike more? You or him?

Anyways, what's gonna happen when diesel breaks $10 a gallon? That's where the world is going, we don't have an unlimited supply of the stuff. The majority of our oil supply is currently controlled by a giant monopoly, who can seriously skew our market if they should decide to do so.

mtbr member
    try a GS450h. it'll change everything you thought you knew about hybrids.

hybrids are the future. they work, it makes sense. the only people fighting it are the right winger weirdos and rednecks. why would you argue against another 30%ish fuel economy? theyre expensive now because its fairly new.. they'll be standard economy priced options soon. instead of 110hp weenie cars that get 32mpg, we can have 200hp cars that get 45mpg. forget the "green" propaganda, a brand new 2010 gas SUV really emits very very few emissions these days! hybrids just get better fuel economy and thats really their angle. the green thing is marketing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The most environmentally friendly thing you can do is to buy a used car or SUV -- it's called recycling -- fix it up and keep it on the road. Buying a new vehicle is tremendous waste of resources.

When I take my SUV to remote trailheads, I see a lot of other SUV's -- lots of people use them offroad.

Members who have read this thread: 0