Is Hurricane the only company making 15mm TA adaptors?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Is Hurricane the only company making 15mm TA adaptors?

I've always mounted my bike's fork down to my pickup bed floor using a quick release hold down that you can buy at any bike shop for around 25 bucks. I just bought a Giant XTC 1 and it has a 15mm TA and now I need the adaptor that goes from the TA to the floor mount. I have only been seeing Hurricane as the only company to offer this. Does anybody else make one?

code: mtbr2011
    rocky mounts will be coming out with one that is locking, but not for a little while yet.
    thule and yakima carry the same ones made by hurricane, only branded yakima in black, thule in silver.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've got a rockymounts roof rack, and it's set up for a 9mm QR fork. The bike I just bought has a 15mm thru-axle, so I thought I had to buy a new rack. Nope! Both Thule and Yakima, as well as another company I dont remember the name of, make adapters that allow you to use your existing rack with new fork. Don't remember the part number, but search google for "yakima 15mm adapter" and it'll pop up. They also have one for 20mm and 24mm axles. It's an extra step, but for me it was better than spending another $200 on a new rack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    We do make them for Yakima and now Thule. They are exactly the same for each.
    We are also working on a universal locking system for each style Fork Up.

Hack Racer
    Filzer now offers one.

Hack Racer
    Fork adapter 15mm - Filzer

Going to grab one tomorrow at Quality Outdoor Gear, Equipment & Clothing - Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC)

Looks like it will do the trick. But a little concerned about the ends of the tubes. On the Hurricane 15mm fork up it looks like there are two plastic ends to reduce wear on the paint. Where as the Filzer one doesn't.

I won't be using this on the bike rack much as I have the Yakima highroller. But my work stand is a Tacx spider team

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'd like to see it, could'nt find it on the blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The ends on the Hurricane Fork Up are aluminum, not plastic.
    We are going to have to look at this mount closely as there may be some infringement issues

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wisbike View Post
    ^what a whiner! why don't you innovate instead of living off the same crap for the past 10 years or whatever it has been! I've seen you whine on here before about other companies and blah blah blah....i wouldn't buy your junk simply because you have a crappy attitude! Keep your internal "infringement issues" to yourself and quit being a baby. And don't worry, I'll be sure to spread the word about your awesome company whenever people ask

rocky mounts driveshaft and driveshaft SD....hurricane, yakima, and all those adaptors that all look the same don't even come close to the driveshaft. They fit 9mm, 15mm, and 20mm all in one. and it locks and is completely made of steel.
    Seriously? You get a trophy for this one. He did innovate. Pretty sure. Why should he allow a potential theft of that innovation?

Oh my.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

habitual line-stepper
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    F%#@ off! wussbike. Thats what patents are in place for, I put tons of time and money to invent the Fork Up products almost 15 years ago, so yes I will protect against all that copy. It speaks huge volumes about our product when companies like Yakima and Thule, private label the Fork Up. So continue with your hatred, it will get you nowhere.
    profanity and name-calling. classy response, man. i would think after putting in so much time and effort into a product, you could find a better way to rebuke your detractors and let the product speak for itself, even if they are acting like complete a-holes. you should dig up those old randall scott and vassago threads, see how that worked out. $.02
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks mtroy.
    I also was the first to do what has become the modern day adjustable height seatpost, had a straight push v-type brake ( think parralel push ) brakes from from the big S, before they did and numerous other innovations, both in the bike industry and out.
    With the Fork Up's we have worked closely with about every fork and rack manufacturer, and still do.
    There is a reason why copies of of the Fork Up are not represented by an American distrbutor. We swiftly and rightfully deal with any and all infringements, as in the case of the biggest offerder, keep selling them, we are watching and counting the money.
    Last edited by Hurricane Jeff; 02-06-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Jeff, you're not really helping yourself here, or Hurricane. You may have some innovative ideas, but your people skills are lacking. The previous advice was good; you should most certainly protect your patent, but doing so in such a public manner is counterproductive. At this point, I'll be fabbing up my own adapter rather than buying one of your designs.
    - Joe (who is smart, an accomplished rider, and has several awesome bikes)

Sorry dude, you really hurt my feelings. So coming off with your name calling in your first post and your nonsense about us not protecting our patent, kinda makes you sound like the dbag.
    If it came across only slightly intelligent and you had done your research, I would had never had to respond to your post.
    As far as you not buying from us, who cares, I dont think you fit the demographics of our customers anyway , very smart, very accomplished riders who ride awesome bikes, etc.

BTW, any adaptor you buy, is just like money in the bank for us.....

habitual line-stepper
    ....your attitude doesn't reflect on you too highly....
    says the instigator...

^what a whiner! why don't you innovate instead of living off the same crap for the past 10 years or whatever it has been! I've seen you whine on here before about other companies and blah blah blah....i wouldn't buy your junk simply because you have a crappy attitude! Keep your internal "infringement issues" to yourself and quit being a baby. And don't worry, I'll be sure to spread the word about your awesome company whenever people ask
    what crap have you innovated over the past 10 years or whatever? as far as i'm concerned, the only mistake he made was that he stooped to your level.
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Filzer works great, and best of all, reasonably priced. $20
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is Hurricane the only company making 15mm TA adaptors?-img_4117.jpg  

Last edited by ScabFace; 05-09-2012 at 01:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So, what was the outcome of said potential "Patent infringement" ? Filzer is still selling their product-in fact i just purchased one! The hurricane product is just too damn expensive for what it is!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Its too damn expensive?......Filzer is only selling direct, I guess, because no distributor would carry them because of the patent issues, and yes, we are looking into it.
    Some complain about cost, do you even know what goes into a product that is sold to distributors or bike shops? of course we need to make a profit to cover the cost of the product, liability, tooling, packing, marketing, etc. All the while doing this with US sourced materials and labor,then, we have to sell it to distributors and bike shops and leave enough on the bone so they can turn a profit to cover which I mentioned previously.
    Its funny that people complain of a cost of something that have to be precisely, cut, bent, welded and finished, but they wont ***** about the cost of say, a handle bar, which is basically a bent tube( I know there is alot more to a handlebar, just using it for a reference)
    I'm sure Filzer knows that they have a blatant patent infringement, and that will be dealt with. It just pisses me off that some companies(wont mention them all, but you probably know) piggyback off my hard work and expense to copy the hell out of my product that I have held a patent since 1997, dont want to sound like a dick, but what is rightfully mine, I'm going to protect with full force!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Its funny that people complain of a cost of something that have to be precisely, cut, bent, welded and finished, but they wont ***** about the cost of say, a handle bar, which is basically a bent tube( I know there is alot more to a handlebar, just using it for a reference)
    Sorry I don't buy it. There is no stroke of genius or marvelous engineering that was put into making the fork up. 6th graders could have come up with it. More material, tooling, and engineering needs to go into a mulching lawnmower blade ($17). You were just lucky enough to be the first to patent it. Unfortunately the American patent system sucks, and you don't really have to innovate anything get a patent and make money licencing a product. That been said, you have the right to try to enforce your patent, I know I would if I was in your shoes. Just don't act like a marketing/creative/engineering mastermind. Pursue your interest quietly behind the scenes and let the rest of us complain about the ridiculous price.

mtbr member
    Lawn mower blade? That's your analogous example? Have you ever heard of the term "economies of scale"? A single Home Depot will sell more lawn mower blades in a single season than EVERY thru-axle adaptor in the country. So, LawnBoy gets to spread out their R&D, marketing, sales, legal, etc. over thousands - hundreds of thousands of units. Every wonder why your bike tires cost as your car tires? Economies of scale.

Why does this...

MSRP: $7,600
    cost more than this...

MSRP: $7,260

Economies of scale
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member extraordinair
    A better question is why did you just dig up a 2 year old thread, just to flame the hurricane adapter? Too expensive? Fine, you dont have to buy it. You will probably blow $40 on a dinner out, or a movie or a night of drinking, but certainly dont waste it on a useful device
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

Wanderer
    Jeff certainly does come across as a tard for such an obvious design.

I'll be sure to not purchase anything from his company as I don't like to support tard companies.

Luckily I can make one in my companies work room if I ever need one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Economies of scale undoubtedly plays a roll, but in the case of the fork up, supply and demand/competition play a much bigger roll. If someone can stick it to you and get away with it, they will. Once the patent is up on this item, I guarantee you will see a significant price drop in 2017.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wow! harsh words for someone defending an original product, wouldn't you defend the original and flame the copiers, the one's who can't come up with their own idea's, people these days.....We live in a world of of knock off's, look at China, are we a better world because of it? I think not. As far as you "not purchasing anything from his company as I don't do like support tard companies" with a statement like that, you would probably have to ask your mommy to make a purchase anyway, but I bet your mom would agree with me.

As far as Scabface's comments go, I don't get it, I never claimed to say that the Fork Up is an "engineering marvel", there are patents on alot simplier items, such as bolts and pieces of paper. It doesn't matter how simple or complex a product is, if it has a patent, it is defendable. The Fork Up is what it is, it is a product that we have sold since 1997, and we have have sold 10's of thousands of them, and still do, as far as a product goes to any company, you couldn't ask for a better product. Also, so you think "Once the patent is up on this item , I quarantee you will see a significent price drop" I doubt it, since the points I made on my last post about profit, liability, etc, to not just Hurricane, but to the distributors and shops that purchase them. Look at companies like Yakima and Thule, these are companies you would think would be the one's to make knockoffs, but no, they respect the patent and the knowledge that we provide.
    Why do some think that having a product that seems so simple has to be practically given away, as far as manufacturing goes, what is the difference between a US made welded stem from a US made welded Fork Up? try to find a US made welded stem that cost less than any model Fork Up.

Unfortunately, some people don't understand manufacturing, economics and supply in demand.

To the one's that flame me, go ahead and make a product yourself, would you be ok with someone coming in and knocking your product off? I wouldn't think so, unless you some idiot that likes to waste time, money and expertise.

AZ
    banned
    Too expensive? Really ? I threw down the cash for one even though I could go out to my shop and build it. Thanks for building a quality product.

mtbr member
    There are at least 3 other companies making 15mm adapters, for ease of linking I'll do some ebay links as they're all in one place; I just got the Origin8 and really like it as it'll quickly convert QR/15mm/20mm with included adapters. Previously I had the DirtMountain but it was slightly undersized mostly in diameter but length also and the fork tended to slip off it, liked the stainless though. The EVO has been out of stock when I tried to buy it previously. I use Mavic 15mm to QR adapter to mount wheel to wheel holder.

Origin8 Bike Block Fork Mount Tight Carrier Rack QR 15mm and 20mm Forks | eBay

Bike Carrier Fork Mount Type Adapter to Mount A Bike with 15 mm Axle to Anything | eBay

EVO 15mm Fork Mount Carrier | eBay

Shameless Plug!
    Aug 2006
    Patent up on this yet?

Members who have read this thread: 0