How much did you pay to have a hitch put on your car ( not truck )- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! How much did you pay to have a hitch put on your car ( not truck )

Vote on the price range you paid and make sure to include car type. Also tell us where you got this thing installed or if you did it your self.
    Austin Greenbelt Evangelist

Beware of the Greenbelt Wookie!!!

05' Rockhopper Comp

mtbr member
    install the last two gooseneck hitches myself. seems a waste to pay someone to do easy work. A good hitch should bolt on without drilling etc.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

thecentralscrutinizer
    Agreed. Try hiddenhitch.com for hitch that will most likely bolt up to your car.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

ballbuster

Depends on the car

Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    install the last two gooseneck hitches myself. seems a waste to pay someone to do easy work. A good hitch should bolt on without drilling etc.
    My '96 GTi had to be drilled, and it was a major PITA To do so. There were no factory mounting points on the car, basically.

I had to remove a bunch of the stuff from the area inside the rear hatch, and the whole rear bumper assembly, which wasn't as big a deal as it sounds.

What was a big deal was getting everything lined up, dropping the exhaust, drilling into weird corners of the car and getting it all to line up while I bolted it in place.

Took me about 5 hours, plus another hour to adjust things so they wouldn't rub once the exhaust heated up, but I got it, and its rock frickin solid.

Cost me $160 for the hitch kit, and I had to use a couple nuts and bolts form around the shop, red loctite, I had to fabricate a couple of steel plates because the ones that came with the hitch didn't quite fit, and it cost me some skin off my knuckles.

BTW, Mine was a Cort. There aren't a lot of 1 1/4" hitches for my car and this one looked better thant he other one. Most hitch kits for my car were of the plate type with only 100 lbs of tongue weight, and no availability for flatbed type bike racks. This one is 200 lbs, and the car is rated to tow 1500 lbs. In theory, I can rent a trailer and tow piles of dirt and stuff.

Happy with the results, tho:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pimpbot; 09-19-2007 at 10:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    2006 Mazda 3s hatch

1-1/4" Hidden hitch from online vendor = $125
    Installation = $20 (had to expand existing holes, otherwise no modifications).

Derailleurless
    Similar experience.

I owned a '93 Saturn which required drilling into the body, and trimming of the heat shield around the muffler. It was easy, but probably not for the faint-of-heart or the tool-less car owner.

Installation onto a '97 Subaru was a cinch -- straight-up bolt-on affair.

My '05 Subie was a little more difficult, as I had to unhook and drop the exhaust pipes temporarily to bolt the hitch to the frame, but no hold drilling, and only a modest inconvenience.

eTrailer.com has many instructions online, and includes estimated installation time and drill/no-drill indications next to each hitch, so you can get an idea of what is involved.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Similar to Nate...

On an '06 Forester, the exhaust had to get dropped to slide the hitch in. I paid $50 for someone to do that for me. It would have been a PITA for me to do that at home; in a garage with the car lifted up on a bridge, things get much easier.
    "Early bird gets the worm", but the second mouse gets the cheese...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I've installed three now - 89 Caprice ex-copcar, 02 Volvo V70, and 97 Miata.

All were bolt-on with no drilling or exhaust removal. All took about an hour.

Installation for this type of job shouldn't be more than $90 as most general service shops (in the city) charge around $90/hour for labor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Honda Accord- $30 (installed by a trailer/hitch company)
    Toyota Camry- self-installed
    Subaru Forester- $25 (installed by the same trailer/hitch company)

None required drilling but some exhaust lowering was required. Lots of cursing was involeved in the self-install. One time, I may have slammed my wrench around a bit. I then swore I would not do this myself again. I have little patience for fiddly stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I helped install my brother's hitch on his 2000 Ford Contour...I believe the cost of the hitch was about $100.00...and it took us about 30 to 40 minutes using wrenches and a jack to get it installed...

mtbr member
    I just paid $60.00 to have a UHaul Type 1 hitch installed onto my Accord. Love my rack though.

Last edited by Canon_Addict; 09-21-2007 at 01:38 PM.

Daddy of 3 now!
    www.e-trailer.com
    '06 Honda Odyssey
    Draw-tite class III 2"
    added rubber cover to increase order over $150 then got 99cent shipping

Installation time 30min, yeah right.. took about an hour or more.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Some installation prices include wiring up the vehicle for plugging in trailer lights, so take that into consideration. As for me, I've installed Class II hitches on a '92 Cherokee, a '92 Town Car, and a '05 Chrysler minivan. The first two required a bit of drilling, the latter bolted right up.

Quote Originally Posted by Greebler
    Vote on the price range you paid and make sure to include car type. Also tell us where you got this thing installed or if you did it your self.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I didn't have a car, so I don't know how I should answer your questions. sorry.
    Universal Charger will let you heard by the world.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    07 Element $200 installed
    www.treefortbikes.com Just lauched V2.0 with free shipping and low prices!

Members who have read this thread: 0