How to make a MTB hauler of a PT Cruiser???- Mtbr.com

Nov 2006

How to make a MTB hauler of a PT Cruiser???

Yea I got T boned in my Toyota pick up so now I only have my PT Cruiser. If I take the wheels off and remove the back seat I can probably fit one bike in there but I then I cant haul gear, family to reder me first aid stuff like that.

I dont like those strap on carriers either. I've almost run over a few of those on the back roads a few times. One was still attached to a nice green Kline

Whats out there?

mtbr member
    sell the pt. get a toyota truck.

over 50 years of cycling
    Trade in the PT for a REAL bike hauler, like the Honda Element.
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

Aug 2004
    Ummm, PT loser? Ha, just kidding. But an Element is a pretty sweet car for bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fanghasyou
    But an Element is a pretty sweet car for bikes.
    Yeah they're super cute

Unless you decide to use a roof mounted or hitch mounted carrier I'm not sure how you'll get your bike, gear and family around in the PT. Maybe sell it for a sportsman van, or more practically, a wagon of some kind, like the legacy gt or equivalent
    :wq

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Falling Rock
    Yea I got T boned in my Toyota pick up so now I only have my PT Cruiser. If I take the wheels off and remove the back seat I can probably fit one bike in there but I then I cant haul gear, family to reder me first aid stuff like that.

I dont like those strap on carriers either. I've almost run over a few of those on the back roads a few times. One was still attached to a nice green Kline

Whats out there?
    Install a hitch and then buy a hitch mounted rack. A quick Google search looks like the going rate for a hitch to fit the PT Cruiser is around $100. You could buy one at U-Haul and they will install it for you. Or you could install it yourself. Once you get the hitch (I would recommend the 2" receiver as it is more versatile), choose a rack for the number of bikes you want to haul. You'll want a hitch rack that can fold down and out of the way so you can open the rear door. Or one that swings to the side with the bike on it to access the hatchback. Also nice to have one that folds up while not in use if you keep it on the car. Yakima, Thule, Saris are the three to start with to see which models would work for you.

I'm sure you could ask here and get ideas from those that have figured it out with their PT Cruisers:

http://www.ptcruiserclub.org/

I've got an Element and can haul bikes on the hitch mount rack, inside the E or on top with a rack. Here's a photo of the hitch mounted Yakima King Pin 5 to give you an idea of a hitch mounted system. If folds down and out of the way to access the rear. One bolt holds the rack in the hitch, so it is easy to take the rack off and store it in the garage if not hauling a bike around.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 01-20-2007 at 04:46 AM.

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    I like my Volvo V70 AWD, it hauls me and my 100lb dog and gear. I carry the bikes on the roof (my personal preference, also it's a short car). It can carry at least 5 on top (if I had that many racks), with the front wheel off and seatpost out, I can put my two inside and still fit gear and dog. Pricey, but mine was used. And they have turbo!!!
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS
    I work for a bike parts company

over 50 years of cycling

Sub-sized

Quote Originally Posted by sonicsuby
    more practically, a wagon of some kind, like the legacy gt or equivalent
    I thought he was thinking MORE interior room, not smaller or the same. I don't think he would gain anything with a dinky Suburu glorified station wagon.

best serious answer is a hitch rack for the PT.
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

Weird huh?

nothing can be done

You shouldn't even be allowed to own a mt bike if you drive a PT Cruiser.

........hangin' wit my homeys kruzin' in my Neon. Oh, wait......nevermind.

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Trail
    I thought he was thinking MORE interior room, not smaller or the same. I don't think he would gain anything with a dinky Suburu glorified station wagon.

best serious answer is a hitch rack for the PT.
    you're cute.
    :wq

Nov 2006
    The Element has some neat features, but a bit too small for me to feel comfortable with it. I have a CRV, and really like that. I wish it came with some of the neat colors the Element has, though. Something about the fire engine red or the orange with all of that black panneling is way cool and would great on the CRV. Alas, the 2007 remodel looks hideous. It looks almost like they're trying to turn the CRV into the love child of an Audi and a PT Cruiser.

Jun 2006
    How big of a family? If you take out the back seats, you can easily fit two bikes with the front wheels removed.

RIDE_CRASH_REPEAT
    Aug 2006
    get an element....i can carry three bikes on the hitch..two up top...two or more inside....or 4 passengers and 5 outside...plus is comfortable good gas mileage and awd...cant beat it

Members who have read this thread: 1