How to lock hitch rack to hitch?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

How to lock hitch rack to hitch?

Is there a locking bolt or something like that to lock my hitch rack to the car's hitch?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ok. Just found out that the local autopart stores carry a generic hitch lock. Any particular brand/type I should get or avoid?

Thanks

Was that a Bobcat?
    Can't go wrong with Master's products.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks!

Are all the pin diameters the same?

Was that a Bobcat?
    There may be a couple diameters 5/8" and 1/2" diameter. My Master lock has a sleeve that can be removed or taken off the center pin to accommodate both these sizes. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Didnt see this in my lbs. Did you order it online?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Careful it may not fit. I bought a .5" masterlock and it wouldn't get past the threads in my Thule Parkway. It also wouldn't fit a Yakima 2 bike b/c the hole is too small. I wound up drilling out the threads but it's still tough to align.
    Mountain: Scott Spark 20
    Road: GT GTR Rival

Was that a Bobcat?
    I bought it at the local auto parts store.... but mishap has a good point, make sure that these products will fit your bike rack. You may need to drill out the threads as mishap indicated. You can always ask your lbs what lock they recommend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I think I've seen them in the auto supplies aisles of Target, Walmart etc.

If all else fails, go to Sears and get a spare hex key as well.
    Either you rode today, or you didn't.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mishap
    Careful it may not fit. I bought a .5" masterlock and it wouldn't get past the threads in my Thule Parkway. It also wouldn't fit a Yakima 2 bike b/c the hole is too small. I wound up drilling out the threads but it's still tough to align.

I've got the same problem with my Yakima hitch rack. The threads won't allow a lock to fit in, but the problem then is that without the bolt threading into the threads, it seems like there would be a lot of side to side movement of the rack. (because the rack doesn't fit snug in the reciver hitch. I guess a shim of some sort could be used, but that might fall out.

Do you get alot of side to side movement?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Exactly....

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon Dozier
    I've got the same problem with my Yakima hitch rack. The threads won't allow a lock to fit in, but the problem then is that without the bolt threading into the threads, it seems like there would be a lot of side to side movement of the rack. (because the rack doesn't fit snug in the reciver hitch. I guess a shim of some sort could be used, but that might fall out.

Do you get alot of side to side movement?
    Short answer: Yes

Long answer: I have a Thule hitch rack. I drilled a seperate hole for a hitch lock closer to the vertical post so I could slide the rack into the hitch further to help stability.

I drilled the hole as tight as it could get (need to grease the lock bolt to get it through) and I still get significant side to side movement. The screw basically locks it in place and makes a big difference in movement.

Ive thought about shims too... But yet to try. Have you tried yet?

Just saw that thule makes a lock that has the screw integrated (on their website). Little pricey though

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kramerica
    Short answer: Yes

Long answer: I have a Thule hitch rack. I drilled a seperate hole for a hitch lock closer to the vertical post so I could slide the rack into the hitch further to help stability.

I drilled the hole as tight as it could get (need to grease the lock bolt to get it through) and I still get significant side to side movement. The screw basically locks it in place and makes a big difference in movement.

Ive thought about shims too... But yet to try. Have you tried yet?

Just saw that thule makes a lock that has the screw integrated (on their website). Little pricey though

I just got my rack and have bolted it in every time except once, when I didn't thread the bolt tight, there was too much side to side play. A couple of shims made out of wood would work, but might be a biatch to get out at the end of the day, especially if they get wet.

Master of None
    For side-to-side play try using a Draw-tite J pin. It just works. You will need to drill another hole in the receiver though.

Daddy of 3 now!

Drill ? why?

I have a Yakima KingPin5 Rack and bought the Yakima Lock that attaches to the end of the pin. Just screw the threaded pin and put lock on the other side. Once tightened there is no sway in the rack.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...:referralID=NA

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by daddy2
    I have a Yakima KingPin5 Rack and bought the Yakima Lock that attaches to the end of the pin. Just screw the threaded pin and put lock on the other side. Once tightened there is no sway in the rack.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...:referralID=NA

That was a great idea.........

I went to the LBS and picked one up for $20.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Vernon Dozier

Hey Vernon, I heard Herb Sewel was sent back to Atascadero.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rewarder
    Hey Vernon, I heard Herb Sewel was sent back to Atascadero.

Mmmmmhhhmmmahahahah!!!! He went to go see Walter Bellhaven and just decided to stay.

Members who have read this thread: 2