How to keep bike from being stolen wile on carrier.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

How to keep bike from being stolen wile on carrier.

I would like to carry my bike to work so I can ride afterwords. The bike is going to be on a hitch carrier. How do you keep from somebody steeling it? I have a master lock adjustable bicycle locking strap now. I mean if somebody takes a shock, thats 600 dollars. Do you take insurance out on your bike?
    Last edited by qwerty11; 10-26-2006 at 09:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Take your front and back tires off and put it in your rig.

Hi!!!
    I work in downtown Boise, ID so our crime rate is pretty damn low. I also park in a somewhat secure parking garage. So I think I'm pretty safe from my bike getting ripped off.

But I do take precautions....

My hitch doesn't have a locking bolt (I find the Thule one to be too flimsy). So instead I just use the regular bolt it came with and then use a short cable lock to lock the hitch rack to the receiver hitch.

I then lock my bike to the rack using a cable rack and then attach a Kryptonite lock to the down tube and main post of the rack.

This is what I have minus the Krypto lock and hitch cable lock...

i like rocks
    cable locks provide zero theft protection.

i lock a kryptonite nyc chain through the frame of my car, and then lock it to an nyc u-lock around my frame. bolt on rear skewer and 20mm in the front.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    no locks or cables are for sure, but that's better than nothing.

mtbr member

Go for sure

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty11
    I would like to carry my bike to work so I can ride afterwords. The bike is going to be on a hitch carrier. How do you keep from somebody steeling it? I have a master lock adjustable bicycle locking strap now. I mean if somebody takes a shock, thats 600 dollars. Do you take insurance out on your bike?
    Solution:
    Tires on back seat

Frame on trunk
    Sit and spin my ass...

!
    Can't you bring the bike into your offie? That's what I do. Unless you work at Burger King or something.

Gnarley!!!!!
    Unless you work at Burger King or something.

lol...

I am the law
    May 2006
    Do a search on google video or youtube about key bumping. You might never trust any lock ever again.

JORBA: Six Mile Run
    Quote Originally Posted by Jell-O
    Can't you bring the bike into your offie?
    This sounds like the best option to me. Not to mention the fact that you can stare at it all day.......

Derailleurless
    Even with the worlds best lock and key, I could ruin your day with a 5mm allen wrench.

When I take my bike to work, it stays inside the car, well hidden, and locked to the seat hinges. Call me paranoid, but all it takes is one a-hole with a bike fetish.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    [QUOTE][Take your front and back tires off and put it in your rig./QUOTE]

Adding to MillerSHO's comment, take your seatpost off too if your bike is on the back of your car; its a pretty easy target.

mtbr member
    I think its more repetitiveness. If they see your bike on your car all the time, sooner or later, they'll come up of ways to take the parts that they want if not the whole bike... or the car.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford
    cable locks provide zero theft protection.

i lock a kryptonite nyc chain through the frame of my car, and then lock it to an nyc u-lock around my frame. bolt on rear skewer and 20mm in the front.
    And my roomates gas powered metal-cutter (like a big dremel) would make short work of that.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Who are the brain police?
    Nothing keeps it from being stolen. All the lock suggestions are minor deterrents and will not even slow someone down that knows what they're doing.

Don't leave the bike in the carrier.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Even with the worlds best lock and key, I could ruin your day with a 5mm allen wrench.

When I take my bike to work, it stays inside the car, well hidden, and locked to the seat hinges. Call me paranoid, but all it takes is one a-hole with a bike fetish.
    Or a drug/booze habit that they need to support.

Had my bike stolen from work recently. My office provides a locked chainlink cage inside the parkade in the basement which is under video surveillance. Thieves cut the lock on the cage with bolt cutters (assuming this based on what was left of the lock) and likely used the same on the cable lock I had around the bike and bike stand inside the cage.

I didn't think a U-lock would be necessary inside the cage but there were four bikes in the cage that day. Two with U-locks, two with cables. Guess which two were stolen. Also turns out that the security guys were looking around the parkade that morning and forgot to return the camera to the cage when they were done so there was no footage of the theft.

They're getting bolder and bolder as time goes on...

Derailleurless
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamer19
    ...turns out that the security guys were looking around the parkade that morning and forgot to return the camera to the cage when they were done so there was no footage of the theft.
    Uh-oh... sure sign of an inside job!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    I was wondering the same question since I've left my bike on my car rack a few times as well. I probably wouldn't recommend leaving your bike on your car on a regular basis but if you're in a secure parking garage I'd think that's a plus. But a plus in that it can be easily stolen since no one is around or a plus that no one is around to steal it I'm not sure. I'd try and leave your bike in the car if possible.

On my way back from rides I've stopped to get food and wasn't too concerned about leaving it in the parking lot since it was only a few minuets and I'm not even sure most people know how much my bike is really worth. I guess the disc brakes and long travel shocks make it look flashier than a department store bike but I probably wouldn't know it's true value unless I was a real biker.

Members who have read this thread: 0