How to fabricate mounts for a Yakima landing pad- Mtbr.com
    Fire it up...
    Feb 2004

How to fabricate mounts for a Yakima landing pad

So I just bought a 2008 Mazda 6 that is slicker than owl sh*t. I want to put a Yakima rack on, but hate the Q-towers and how they clip to the side of the car. So, I want to use the control tower setup and utilize the landing pads.

Here's the problem: There are no holes that come factory on my roof, which means I'm going to have to drill. Who has drilled on their roof? What do I need to prep?

The Mazda6 has a thin black weather stripping looking thing that I could probably attach the rack to, but I do not believe it is secured on the car that well, mainly because it just clips into place. I don't think this will hold, but I wanted some guideance before I move forward.

Anyone who has "made their own landing pad" for their car, please chime in. Thanks
    LIVE for Today, never tomorrow.

code: mtbr2011
    check out the landing pad 7. it's designed for sheet metal applications, and is a clean and strong install.
    move the landing pad to the inside of the black rain channel that you referenced.
    you won't want to drill into a roof brace, or through any electrical running under the headliner. those would be your biggest obstacles.

Fire it up...
    Feb 2004
    Thanks! I'll have to check that out. U da man!!
    LIVE for Today, never tomorrow.

Members who have read this thread: 0