How else to secure the Yakima roof rack- Mtbr.com
    T.W.O.

How else to secure the Yakima roof rack

I had a Yakima roof systems on my car with Q-tower. It was stolen out of my car in front of the house last months. I have the system for a good 6-7 years it has served me well. Naturally, I'm just pi$$ that it was stolen. I had a couple of King Cobras, a high roller, and a Viper on the system. I put lock on every core available.

It didn't look like the thief even bust the lock they just pry open one Q clip and yank it out. I'm not saying that the locks are not easy to bust but it would take longer time. I'm now have the hitch installed on my car, but I still have another set of roof rack with Q-tower. Has anyone got any suggestions on how to secure the rack?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    there are only like 6 different key cuts for the cores. if you have all six you dont need to pry anything open.

code: mtbr2011
    there are 25 keys that yakima makes in their key/core lineup.

i'm sorry your rack was stolen from your car....total scumbag....hopefully your homeowner's insurance will pay the "replacement cost" of the rack system.

Derailleurless
    Wow, that sucks. You can only hope he stole it for himself and won't be on the prowl again, but that's doubtful. Rust colored paint?
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    there are 25 keys that yakima makes in their key/core lineup.

i'm sorry your rack was stolen from your car....total scumbag....hopefully your homeowner's insurance will pay the "replacement cost" of the rack system.
    oh ok, i thought i remembered seeing 6 somewhere after i bought all of my stuff. 25 does make me feel better though

T.W.O.

Thanks guys

I know it sucks big time. To add insult to the injury, I Google map my place and I still see my car with the rack on.

It's surprising that company like Yakima would only have a handful of keys made, either 6 or 25 (hopefully 25). But at the end of the day, in all fairness the thief actually just remove one side of the rack and slide the other side right off, and repeat the process on the rear bar, no bike racks has to be touched.

I hope what happened to me would remind those who has the roof rack to tighten to q-clip more at least to reduce the chance. The rack has served me well for over 6 years I feel that I have gotten my money's worth already. I just don't like what happen that's all.

Now I'm battering a new problem with the hitch. The locks are definitely more secure but my sedan is lower than my SUV so I do scrape the dips every once in a while.

Thanks
    AC

Members who have read this thread: 0