How does one approach putting a bike on the roof rack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

How does one approach putting a bike on the roof rack?

For those who mount their bikes ontop of their cars with a roof rack, specifically SUV owners, how do you do this? Despite being over 6 feet tall, I'd imagine putting a bike ontop of the roof to be very dfficult, so how exactly do you guys accomplish this? I'd much prefer using a roof rack than putting the bike in the rear, not being able to open the trunk or in the trunk, not having any passenger space...

Derailleurless
    That's one reason I picked a Legacy wagon over an Outback... something like 4 or 5" lower roof height.

My brother-in-law just opens his door and steps on the floor of his Trooper. Another friend has a little step stool he carries in his back seat.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    I used to use a small step ladder to get my bikes on top of my LandCruiser. I found it quite a pain, esp with the 40+lb bikes that are common around here. Went to a North Shore Rack and couldnt be happier! See my post below if you are interested...

Cheers

Buzz

I bike long tyme.
    I got a Toyota Matrix which is fairly tall. I can throw my xc bike up there no problem from the ground but I also use a step ladder to get the DH bike up there. It's not that it's too heavy, it just becomes awkward that high above your head. I have no issues at all using or transporting the small ladder. It folds flat, takes minimal space and weighs next to nothing.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a CRV and I'm only 5'8" so I use a small foldable plastic "step". I can manage without the step but it is very risky.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My SUV has an old-fashioned two-piece tailgate. I put the bike trays on "backwards" - ie fork-mount to the rear, and I fold down the lower half and stand on that to mount the bikes.

-dman

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I won't put any kind of roof mount on my Xterra because I can only imagine how big of a pain in the butt it would be putting the bikes up there.

-Rob
    "No, you're going to be promoted to GLG-20."

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    And it only gets worse trying to get your bike on or off the roof rack if you have injured yourself during the ride. Not that I know this from any experience or anything but i have a certain disdain for root drops.

Derailleurless
    Quote Originally Posted by INCO
    ...i have a certain disdain for root drops.
    ...and both root drops and <i>roof drops</i> can be costly in very different ways!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Members who have read this thread: 3