How do you like your Thule Ridgeline?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

How do you like your Thule Ridgeline?

So I bought a ridgeline because it is a solid rack with everything integrated in one and i like it a lot so far with the exception of one issue that i have. The issue is that the rack sways at the hitch. The sway point is at the hitch and the square bar that goes into the hitch. It doesn't seem to be a 'tight' fit and it makes the whole rack move. what i am wondering is if anyone else has had this experience...? It seems as if there should be some sort of shims that could go in there and tighten the contact point... Does such thing exist?

I sent in an email to Thule also to ask but i am not sure if i should be expecting any response......

code: mtbr2011
    do you have the bolt going in from the passenger side of the vehicle to towards the driver's side?
    also, do you have the flat washer and lock washer combo on the bolt as well?

you shouldn't have any wobble with that rack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i am not sure what side the bolt is going in from but the lock is on the left side... does that answer your question? And yes we did put in all the washer combos.... it seems really strange to me too... i also sent in a question to thule but i am not sure how hopeful i am in getting a real response.....

kinda frustrating that i spent all that money for a quality rack, or at least i thought it was, but it ends up being this way......

code: mtbr2011
    that sounds like you have it correct. but also sounds strange that it's still wobbling.
    i've installed hundreds of thule hitch racks and have never seen any wobble in the hitch like you describe, unless the bolt wasn't tight.

i'm interested to hear what thule has to say when you speak with them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There may be a bit of play at the pivot point, where the latch is. This has never been a concern for me because I've tightened up all of the bolts to give it a bit of friction at the pivot so when I pull the latch, it doesn't just fall, it takes a pound or two of pressure to tilt it. The hitch pin bolt should be very tight.

I love my Ridgeline, it carries my bikes perfectly with no wobble.

Members who have read this thread: 0