How do you keep your car clean after a ride?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2009

New question here. How do you keep your car clean after a ride?

We make a pretty cool removable waterproof car seat cover and have been told that mountain bikers and cyclists would like it after a sweaty dirty ride. However, others have told us that our product isn't that needed because most mountain bikers change their clothes after a ride if they are really a mess. Could anyone tell me which is true. We would like to offer our product to the bike specialty market but aren't sure how much of a need there really is. We know cyclists get wet, dirty and sweaty but we aren't sure how most people deal with protecting their car seats after a ride.

Any opinions or experiences you may have will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks.

s73
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Having only recently re-found my passion for mountain biking my use may be a bit skewed as others may have tried and tested habits. Personally I never get changed after a ride and have previously had to use a selection of beach towels to keep the car clean. I live in the UK and it can be muddy and wet all year round. I did a bit of looking and searching for some rubberized protection for my boot (trunk) to protect the car from the muddy bike until I bought a roof rack.

When I was in a local car spares store I found a rubberized seat protector. I paid about 50 GBP and I keep it in the car and have used it a few times and it works very well.

I hope this helps

Simon

Apr 2009

Smile Observation

Thanks Simon. I think that there may be 2 types of riders. One has a decent car and wants to protect it. In this case they will either change their clothes, use a towel or find some other way to protect their car seats. The other rider may have an older vehicle and they simply do not care for their car so they just jump in. I think that we are trying to serve the first group that really may not want to go to the hassle of changing out of clothing. I am wondering what percentage of mountain bikers actually bring a change of clothes with them. Any thoughts.

mtbr member
    I don't think I've ever seen a MTBer change their clothes at a trail head around here. Maybe a t-shirt, but that's it. Personally I use a small towel to wipe the majority of the crap off of me before getting in the car. I have leather seats, so if a little bit of dirt gets on them I just wipe it off.

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    I don't change after a ride, hell I only change clothes once a week or so

I have leather seats so they clean up easy, sorry I'm no help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just bring a change of clothes and a towel.

mtbr member
    i have rarely not changed

another day at the office
    It's usually a good idea to change into dry clothes after a ride. Plus, I'm more comfortable after changing into a pair of dry shorts during the drive home.
    Some pain is physical and some is mental, but one that's both is dental.

mtbr member
    My truck is "rusty and trusty" and pretty old so i just usually lose the shirt and drive home with the windows open if its hot and im smelly/dirty

i could care less how clean my truck looks, i use for a summer construction job, and to haul bikes and my dog after shes wet/muddy

but im sure someone with a nicer car will speak up

dirtbag
    I always change outta my cycling clothing after riding and I have to drive back home. After many years riding in the hot n humid Southeast, I've made it a habit to change into clean and dry clothes after a hard ride, mud or not. Driving in sweaty chamois and cycling gear is nasty! I drive a truck but like to keep the interior tidy. When I used to surf, I just used a beach towel to cover the seats and that worked pretty well.

Happy, what kind of product do you have? I can perhaps beta test it for you
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I bought and element so I didn't have to worry about it. No carpets, all the seats have waterproof fabric on it. You can just wipe everything down if it gets dirty. But I do usually change my clothes especially if i have more then 15-20 minute drive ahead of me.

Apr 2009
    Thanks commo Soulja that is very kind of you and I may take you up on that. I really don't want to abuse this board and sell anything so I will just describe what I am up to. We make a removable waterproof seat cover. It is cool but I want to make it cooler because athletes, cyclists and extreme sports enthusiasts want something fun and functional. So, our first stab at this type of product was focused on function and we got a lot of it right but like anything else, you can always do better. So I am trying to learn about my customers. Like I said before, some people may find a removable seat protector to be very helpful, while others may just change their clothes and not really worry about it too much. It sounds like it is a mixed bag. However, I think if we make this think look awesome that may get some more appeal. It seems like cyclists are great athletes but they also have some really cool gear. In fact, when I look at cycling gear it is probably the most impressive looking stuff I have ever seen. From what you have seen, are there any designs or colors that really pop for the cyclist? I imagine it is a personal thing but sometimes a sport may have a favorite.

By the way, if we did want to follow through on a beta test on a product design, what is the best way to reach you? Hopefully you are not in Australia or Fiji because shipping can get mighty pricey. Just kidding. In any case, thanks for the input. I would be happy to keep you posted on our progress because I think we may be able to come out with something that people will really appreciate. Learning what you like is the most important part of the equation. Thanks again.

dirtbag
    Hey Happy, you can reach me via pm here if you want to run a beta test. Sadly though, I'm neither in Australia or Fiji. Just plain 'ol California, Bay Area to be exact.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Leather FTW! We were out for a ride last week and got caught in the middle of a major thunderstorm. When we got back to my truck, eveyone looked as if they had jumped into a muddy pond! I quickly loaded my bike up and hoped right in the truck! They followed my lead. When we got home, my seats were COVERED in mud, no worries tho, a towel and a bottle of leather cleaner and conditioner had them looking like new again!
    adam michigan karate monkey

mtbr member
    Beach towels or Wet Oakley seat covers

FeeRideRules
    Apr 2009
    I have an '05 Hyundai Terracan 4WD
    I don't care it it gets a bit dirty on the inside after a ride
    heck when I go 4WDriving it gets even dirtier @ least it matches the outside
    ILIKENORTHSHOREANDICANNOTLIE
    glory, glory hallelujah...

any1 guess what bike I ride?

Apr 2009
    Does it ever bother you or is it not really something you worry about? I think it is kind of like going to the beach and returning to your car with sand and water all over you. You may throw a wet towel on the seat but you still get sand everywhere and you have this uneasy feeling but you just don't have a good solution nearby. It may be something that annoys you but the problem may not be big enough to do anything about it, unless it is something you do regularly. For example, if you ride every week it may be worth looking at it closely but if you ride once a month it is not as big of an issue. I also think it depends on how much you tend to baby your vehicle.

Apr 2009
    Actually, you are a lot of help because you are giving an honest opinion. The truth is that everyone has different priorities regarding their car and cycling. Some people want their car to take them from point A to point B, while others want it to look immaculate. Some people want to look great when they ride, others want to get a great workout, while others like getting away and enjoying the scenery. It all depends on priorities.

Apr 2009
    Would you consider using a seat protector if it was easy to install and remove and looked cool on the car or is it preferable to change your clothes. Some people don't like the time it takes to change, while others don't like to keep sweaty clothes on.

Apr 2009
    Thanks bustamove. That was an honest opinion. If we had a seat protector that was comfortable and had a cool cycling design on it, would you consider it or is it not something that makes sense for you? I have the feeling that some would look at a seat protector for its function, but others would consider it for its style. What do you think?

Apr 2009
    Thanks for the honest input Spazzy. If our seat protector had a cool cycling design would you consider it or is it not your thang?

Apr 2009
    Would you consider a seat protector if it had a cool cycling design on it?

Apr 2009
    Thanks ADDam. Since you had that experience, would you consider a seat protector if you had cloth seats? Also, if the protector had a cool cycling design would that make any difference to you? Thanks for your input.

Apr 2009
    Thanks OGJON. If a seat protector had a cool cycling design on it would you consider it or would you prefer the seat to match the look on the outside.

Birthday Collector
    Gotta agree with Bustamove - I try to always change my clothes if it is more than a 15 - 20 minute drive. If it's short - I keep an easy-to-wash beach towel in the car all the time anyway. It goes on the seat for me, or the back seat if I walk the dog and he gets into some wet. If it was really muddy all the time where I live, I would perhaps consider special seat covers, but it's not often enough that I would use them to bother.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

FeeRideRules
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyVictory
    Thanks OGJON. If a seat protector had a cool cycling design on it would you consider it or would you prefer the seat to match the look on the outside.
    If I could find a set of full F + R seat covers that look like the same cream colour as the interior of my 4wd that actually fit my seats that are easy to install/remove, machine washable, water proof, strong, don't stain easy & simply last for yrs on end then I would consider getting some; but alas I ain't found anything here down in Australia, sure there are Michelle sacks 4wd seat covers but they don't suit my interior.

gotta admit though most of the time I'm actually too lazy to clean my 4wd a lot of the time I go 2-3 months without washing & vacuuming the 4by.

but it's currently immaculate both inside & out as I had to clean it due to putting it in @ my local 4wd mechanic to get a body lift put in, yeeha 5"s of lift 2" suspension, 2" body & 1" from much bigger tyres.
    ILIKENORTHSHOREANDICANNOTLIE
    glory, glory hallelujah...

any1 guess what bike I ride?

May 2009
    I only change my clothes if im stinking hot and sweaty or covered head to toe in mud...in which case i carry mesh bags behind the rear seats to chuck the stuff in and throw it in the tray of the truck...If im by myself i just drive home nekkid which the wife thinks is hilarious!
    If people are with me then i save the poor souls and try to remember to take a spare set of clothes with me...sometimes i get caught out and have todrive home muddy so have the mad scramble to find old towels and jackets etc to throw down on the seats.

Apr 2009

Funny thought

Thanks Dodysam;

Just a friendly word of advice. Do not speed when you are driving naked. It is much easier to explain why you were driving fast than having to convince the cop that you were mountain biking and had to take off your clothes to drive home. You probably know that. In fact, I think you just gave me a marketing idea. We could shoot a video of a cop pulling over a naked dude after a bike ride and offer our cool seat protectors as a solution to avoid embarrasment from the possibility of getting pulled over while naked. I am not sure if that type of commercial would sell any product but it sure would make a lot of people laugh their ass off. I am laughing just thinking about it.

Apr 2009
    Thanks Ogjon. I am the same as you, except I may go for a design if it really attracted me and sent off the right message. I really replied to say how lucky you are to be in Australia. I was lucky enough to go there for work and found it to be one of my favorite countries. This says a lot since I am from South America, which is also a pretty cool place to visit. I had a chance to drive from Sydney to Melbourne on one of the trips and it was very memorable. During the trip, out in the middle of nowhere, I was driving really fast and was pulled over by a police officer. I do not know where he came from but he was very mad. He asked me what I would do if a kangaroo were to be on the road while I was driving so fast. My spontaneous an honest answer was " Well, I would immediately stop the car, pull over and take a photo because I have never seen a kangaroo and we don't have them in the states" My boss was in the passenger seat. I was not trying to be funny but it was my honest reply. This really pissed off the police officer who gave me a ticket. We laughed for hundreds of kilometers at that experience. The downside is that if I want to rent a car in Australia, I may have to pay that ticket off first.

Australia is a great place. You are very lucky. Thanks again for your honest answer, mate. cheers

mtbr member
    I have been looking for something for my 08 Subaru forester. The side air bags come out of the set backs so finding covers that work with that are tough to find and vary expensive. PM me if you need another tester.

Apr 2009
    Thanks for the offer Pulser. We will keep you in mind if we do some testing. You are right abour side impact airbags. There aren't that many covers that address this issue.

My other ride is your mom
    change my clothes....not so much as to keep the car looking nice (and smelling nice), but my clothes get soaked with sweat that I'll get "the funk" if I ride home in them for an hour or so. Sometimes if it is going to be extra dirty/dusty, I'll bring baby wipes to clean off my skin...but that's about it.

I'm A Pedalphile
    I am really picky about keeping my car clean, inside and out, which is why I opted for the leather seats. I usually know what the trail conditions are going to be like when I go for a ride, so I know if I should bring a towel or change of clothes.

I think a seat cover would be a good idea, but most people that are picky about keeping their cars clean aren't going to want to keep a seat cover on for daily use, especially a dirty one. If i were to get a seat cover, I'd want something that would fold up small, to either stash under my seat, in the glovebox, or in my gear bag. Maybe something that zips into it's own pouch so any dirt and dust doesn't fall out of it when I store it. It would also have to be able to be put on and removed easily. Covering the seat back and bottom is sufficient, no need for the headrest or sides of the seat. I also have side curtain airbags in my seat, so I wouldn't want to block those.

It would also have to adhere to the seat surface pretty well. For example, a neoprene sheet that just covers a leather seat will have me sliding around when I turn. Something with a suede side (to go against the seats) and a neoprene side (to go against me) would be good.
    Bikes:
    Mountain: Santa Cruz Blur
    Road: Trek Madone 5.2 SL
    Commuter: Sette Reken 1x9

Apr 2009
    Very good input jonlong. I think your ideas are great and will go into our think tank. Hopefully we can come up with something that does the job. Not easy but not impossible either.

Apr 2009
    If you were going to consider a seat protector, what would be the most important characteristics?

I'm A Pedalphile
    If you were going to consider a seat protector, what would be the most important characteristics?
    Stowable, doesn't impede normal seat usage, keeps the dirt and mud from penetrating to the underside, easily washable, unobtrusive looking, has a flap of fabric that tucks between the seat bottom and back to keep it in place, that's about all i can think of.
    Bikes:

I'm A Pedalphile
    If you need a tester... I'm very critical of products!
    Bikes:

Apr 2009

Thanks

Thanks Jonlong. We will keep you in mind.

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008

For backseats???.....

I'd love to have a waterproof removable washable cover for my BACK seats!! Not for me but for the trail hounds. Right now I use sheets which keeps mud and sand off (mostly) but allows funk and hair to penetrate. No one every wants to ride in my back seat even after the sheet is removed.
    Cool designs are a plus but any color would do me good if it really worked. Affordability too!
    Let me know if you want my muddy, hairy trail hounds to give your product a run for the money!
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

Syke
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedGood
    I'd love to have a waterproof removable washable cover for my BACK seats!! Not for me but for the trail hounds. Right now I use sheets which keeps mud and sand off (mostly) but allows funk and hair to penetrate. No one every wants to ride in my back seat even after the sheet is removed.
    Cool designs are a plus but any color would do me good if it really worked. Affordability too!
    Let me know if you want my muddy, hairy trail hounds to give your product a run for the money!
    I use a Chevy S-10 pickup with a home-made fork clamp rack across the front of the bed. I've never found anything better for hauling bikes. Easy to get at, out of the wind so it doesn't affect gas mileage on a long haul, and who cares about how muddy the bike is when it's time to go home?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    HV:
    Thanks for the interest in us.... personally, I wish MORE companies would ask US what we WANT!!

I'm on the verge of being OCD about all my stuff....things cost too much for me to abuse/neglect.......

I never drive to or from a trail in my gear...ever. That said, our summers are hot and very humid and I continue sweating for 30 min after a ride and use a beach towel in my seat on the way home.

MHO: PLEASE no silly bike designs on your product. I hate all the goofy "Life is good"/over the bars/muddy tire tracks/chainring images etc, etc......I look at it and say "That's the best they can do?"
    A simple and subtle fauna pattern using diff shades of the same color (light beige background with the pattern in a slightly darker beige for ex) would be hot. Use images we SEE on a ride. Spectrum clothing (now out of biz) had an AWESOME silouette image of a tree on a t-shirt...maybe it's still on their website....
    Look at Quicksilver Waterman edition stuff - understated, classic, clean. But that's just my taste.

I think Ogjon summed up the functional side very well....

I'd love to try out a prototype or look at some of the colors/designs.

Apr 2009

What is the right price?

What is the right price for a back seat protector and front seat protector?

ballbuster

I lay an old towel down

We make a pretty cool removable waterproof car seat cover and have been told that mountain bikers and cyclists would like it after a sweaty dirty ride. However, others have told us that our product isn't that needed because most mountain bikers change their clothes after a ride if they are really a mess. Could anyone tell me which is true. We would like to offer our product to the bike specialty market but aren't sure how much of a need there really is. We know cyclists get wet, dirty and sweaty but we aren't sure how most people deal with protecting their car seats after a ride.

Any opinions or experiences you may have will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks.

Problem solved.

The problem with a seat cover kinda solution is with cars with side airbags mounted in the seats. Can't do that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Chalk another one up to leather seats...

love the leather.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I dont change out of my clothes after a ride. If I had a nice car I may bring a different shirt. I might be interested in seat covers if they matched the rest of my car but if they didn't match perfectly I would not like them.

Apr 2009

Thank You

gsomtb:

That is awesome information. We are trying to understand our customers and the details you provide are really helpful. We understand that everyone has different tastes but if we are going to sell to mountain bikers we need to get close to what most people want. We may not be able to satisfy everyone but we can sure take stepst to try and please as many as possible. Thank you so much for your valuable input. It may take us some time to get it right but I hope that we will be able to deliver something that provides a helpful solution and lets people get the most fun out of their ride.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    I would love to know more about this product when it becomes available. A link to web site would be nice.

Brian
    Ride it like you stole it!

mtbr member
    I just use old towels when I get into my old car all dirty :P

I do have to drive it in nice clothes for work, so the seats have to stay clean.

Im always eager to shower and clean up right when I get home though. haha
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    normally take a change of clothes or otherwise just sit on a rain jacket and take off my top

mtbr member
    Does it ever bother you or is it not really something you worry about? I think it is kind of like going to the beach and returning to your car with sand and water all over you. You may throw a wet towel on the seat but you still get sand everywhere and you have this uneasy feeling but you just don't have a good solution nearby.
    sounds to me like you just made the argument as why not to even bother with seat covers and simply change your clothes before getting in the car....

That reason is exactly why I simply change. No matter what you cover the seats with, crap is still going to get everywhere.

Members who have read this thread: 0