How can I lock my rack to my hitch?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

How can I lock my rack to my hitch?

So, I can lock my bike to my rack (Sportrack I think...I bought it used from a local mtb'er, only thing I can find online about them is commercial racks for public transportation buses), but is there a way to lock my rack to the hitch?

It's a 1 1/4" hitch.

Also, if the lock could keep the rack from wobbling that'd be GREAT

Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i'm not sure if your of what your wanting to lock to what? if you want to lock your rack to your hitch you can go to any trailer store or fishing store ( ie: west marine, etc.) and buy a hitch lock. there are several styles for preferences. they're not expensive. as for the wobbling; some hitches come with shims to combat this or do as i did and use duct tape wraps as shimimng. i did this with my hitch on my truck 'cause i got tired of hearing the hitch when towing my boat and it has lasted 2 yrs of frequent towings.

mtbr member
    your rack 'should' come with a threaded hole in the tongue...try the Snug Tite Lock from Thule...for $39 you get a bolt which threads into the hitch and bike rack eliminating the play, then the lock fits on the other end of the bolt to prevent it from being unscrewed. Thule bought Sportrack in 2006 so call Thule on 18002382388 and ask them if the STL will work on your rack...if it doesn't they will have something that does.

If your rack doesn't come with a threaded hole, do a search of hitch stores and they'll have a similar thing that also comes with an insert.

mtbr member

Another idea

My Performance hitch rack also didn't have a lock ( just the threaded bolt to the hitch). I just went out to Lowes and bought a plastic coated cable lock and hooked that between my rack and to some metal under near where my hitch is...easy as one, two, three. Now what I wish I could do is get a quick release to replace the bolt, even better a quick release/hitch lock! I say that because I ended up stripping the hitch threads on my first rack due to frequent removal. Performance did replace the rack but I dare not repeat my error. That means I really can't take if off unless I absolutely have to. A real bummer.

mtbr member
    I had a hitch mount rack and the set up came with a lock thatyou slide over the end of the pin on the hitch to lock, a cable was built into the rack so you could lock your bikes.
    To over come you evil, you must first become a monster

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by longman
    your rack 'should' come with a threaded hole in the tongue...try the Snug Tite Lock from Thule...for $39 you get a bolt which threads into the hitch and bike rack eliminating the play, then the lock fits on the other end of the bolt to prevent it from being unscrewed. Thule bought Sportrack in 2006 so call Thule on 18002382388 and ask them if the STL will work on your rack...if it doesn't they will have something that does.

If your rack doesn't come with a threaded hole, do a search of hitch stores and they'll have a similar thing that also comes with an insert.
    This is what I use on my Thule T2. Bolt goes through and you lock the other side. I don't get any wobble but my rack and receiver is 2"

mtbr member
    I've got a full size truck now, I am looking into purchasing one of the racks that goes against the side of the bed rails
    To over come you evil, you must first become a monster

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My rack doesn't have a threaded hole for the pin...so I went to a u-haul place and bought a locking pin. $20.

Sweet.

Members who have read this thread: 0