How to buy a car...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

How to buy a car...

I got a couple of checks from Google adsense these last few months for some obscure blog posts that I did. Being that money is a good motivator, I wrote a short article as an experiment to figure out if there is money to be made on random articles posted on the interweb. Lord knows I could use the cash

Here is my guide on how to buy a car. The first entry is on how to determine a fair price. Its not the best out there, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm posting here just to get a few cross links out there so that search engines can find the article. Click on the link will ya and thanks.

http://howtobuyacarleaseandbuy.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by bing!; 09-22-2010 at 10:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Because I work for a Credit Union and we deal with a lot of dealerships in our area, I've been fortunate to purchase brand new vehicles under invoice 3 times in a row. Sorry, I can't give you how much under invoice I paid for, but the general "OLD" rule is never pay for anything MSRP and above. Always pay for invoice or up to $500 over invoice. If you can get it under invoice, it's even better. And if you get it just right above dealer cost (which is lower than invoice) then consider yourself lucky.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Not bad at all. Keep going.

Not many people know that a dealer can afford to sell a vehicle for their cost and still make a boat-load of money on it through hold-backs, financing, MBI policies, "protectant" packages, etc., not to mention gaffing you on your trade. It's all a juggling act.

mtbr member
    hard not to pay MSRP when buying VW TDI, demand is so high that dealers charge up to few grand over MSRP
    i had my '10 GOLF TDI ordered to exact specs i wanted, and when i came in to pick it up after over 3 month wait, all i got was about 200 off MSRP, dealer said NO to any negotiations i tried to do, his argument was: "we have 400 cars on the lot and only one GOLF TDI MT, and thats yours, i have people that will pay 2,000$ over MSRP for that car right now if you dont take it." so i got it, but i was willing to pay MSRP anyways

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    I paid only $6500 for my 355bhp Audi allroad quattro...which is about 2k below retail book. For being a $50,000 + car only a few short years ago - it sure has much bang for my buck. I simply like the fact it can easily go 75mph safely through snow and still scale a 25% muddy grade like no other:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to buy a car...-allroad1.jpg  

"This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

ballbuster

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    I paid only $6500 for my 355bhp Audi allroad quattro...which is about 2k below retail book. For being a $50,000 + car only a few short years ago - it sure has much bang for my buck. I simply like the fact it can easily go 75mph safely through snow and still scale a 25% muddy grade like no other:
    I loves me some Allroad. Very sexy car.

Just watch those turbos and the Air Ride suspension. Keep it always set on low, unless you are in bad road conditions where you need the extra clearance. When the car hit 30 mph or so, it automatically goes to low anyway. Setting it on low saves loads of wear on the air ride system... which is crazy expensive to replace, and seems to need replacement every few years if not treated nicely.

Also, synthetic oil only and use the diesel oil filter. Cool the car down with some mellow city street driving after long runs on the freeway before shutting it off. Wait... 335 hp? Is it chipped or you got the V8? Nice!

Check out Vwvortex.com in the Allroad forum.

When I get more cash in the bank, I want one with a stick.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    It has the GIAC chip, for V6. I wanna upgrade to TiAL turbos...but the scrilla is not yet here for them.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

ballbuster

Did you see the other trick?

It has the GIAC chip, for V6. I wanna upgrade to TiAL turbos...but the scrilla is not yet here for them.
    If you wanna fully lower your car, you can do it in software. Get the VAG-COM adapter and software (like $15 of fleabay) and you can go into the settings for ride height. You can set the default ride height like half an inch lower than stock. IIRC, they have this setting to adjust for variations in the air bag height sensors.

Heh... dump your car in software?!? Okay, half an inch isn't exactly dumping....

Sorry to get all of topic and stuff... I love yapping about VW/Audis

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    A few other topics I didn't see in there (although my reading comprehension can be questionable at times):

Never tell a dealer what you're willing to pay monthly. If you qualify for an interest rate that would make your payment lower than what you told them you would pay monthly, they will up the monthly to what you said and collect on payout from the financing company.

Try to buy at the end of the month, dealerships have quotas and are much more flexible on their prices when trying to hit their volume goals.

If you can get a look at their inventory sheets, they usually show how many days the vehicle has been on their lot. Most dealerships have interim financing on their vehicles, and if they haven't moved in X number of days (usually 45), they have to start paying on them. Find a vehicle that has been on the lot at least that long, and you will find a dealer tripping all over themselves to get rid of it.

I've bought roughly 14 vehicles in the last 10 years, and those 3 principles have served me well in the process.

mtbr member extraordinair
    I simply like the fact it can easily go 75mph safely through snow
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nsomniac

Never tell a dealer what you're willing to pay monthly. If you qualify for an interest rate that would make your payment lower than what you told them you would pay monthly, they will up the monthly to what you said and collect on payout from the financing company.
    The monthly payment is just one of many numbers that the dealer will try to juggle to get you to sign, and with all due respects, your description is not great.

Try to buy at the end of the month, dealerships have quotas and are much more flexible on their prices when trying to hit their volume goals.
    This is somewhat true, but dealers generally have a lot more experience at selling cars than you do at buying cars, and through this experience, they have become fully aware that each month is about 30 days long. The dealer is never going to do something that does not ultimately benefit them financially. You MAY get a better deal than average in the last few hours of the last day of the month if their month is falling on it's face and they only need one more unit to reach a monthly bonus, but you're never going to get them to pay you to buy a car (in the form of a spectacular deal).

If you can get a look at their inventory sheets, they usually show how many days the vehicle has been on their lot. Most dealerships have interim financing on their vehicles, and if they haven't moved in X number of days (usually 45), they have to start paying on them. Find a vehicle that has been on the lot at least that long, and you will find a dealer tripping all over themselves to get rid of it.
    That "interim financing" is called "flooring", and you don't need to go through all that- just go outside and take a look at what's on the lot. If you're doing your homework, take a look at the last 4 of the VIN numbers of the vehicles that you're watching- dealers tend to move their inventory around on the lot, re-wash them, and re-park them to make it look like they're not the same cars that they were last week- it generates more "ups" when people come to investigate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Great info getting shared here. Thanks. I hope you guys don't mind if I use some of them in tweaking the guide.

The guide I put up is not a hardcore low baller manual. It meant to help a fellow to figure out a fair price and work with it. If one wants to get the absolutely lowest price on a car, it gets much much more involved.

If you have contacts and connections, thats your best bet right there

Updated the guide with Lease Payment Bracketing.

http://howtobuyacarleaseandbuy.blogs...faultvmlo.html

I got a few clicks from MTBR. Thanks folks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RIS
    The monthly payment is just one of many numbers that the dealer will try to juggle to get you to sign, and with all due respects, your description is not great.

This is somewhat true, but dealers generally have a lot more experience at selling cars than you do at buying cars, and through this experience, they have become fully aware that each month is about 30 days long. The dealer is never going to do something that does not ultimately benefit them financially. You MAY get a better deal than average in the last few hours of the last day of the month if their month is falling on it's face and they only need one more unit to reach a monthly bonus, but you're never going to get them to pay you to buy a car (in the form of a spectacular deal).

That "interim financing" is called "flooring", and you don't need to go through all that- just go outside and take a look at what's on the lot. If you're doing your homework, take a look at the last 4 of the VIN numbers of the vehicles that you're watching- dealers tend to move their inventory around on the lot, re-wash them, and re-park them to make it look like they're not the same cars that they were last week- it generates more "ups" when people come to investigate.
    This was an add-on to the OP's buying guide. I offered a few suggestions, and put them in terms a casual car buyer would understand. You're making assumptions again, and you just look like a dick trying to destroy another thread.

1. I was identifying one mistake people make A LOT of they time in clarifying payment. If you want to expand on that, expand, but to say my description wasn't great is idiotic. It's simple and clear, and describes one way a dealer will work you over.

2. Who said anything about the dealer giving you a vehicle and losing money by buying at the end of the month? I said they are much more flexible on pricing when they are trying to hit the quota. That's a fact, it's not rocket science. I didn't say they were going to sell you a $20k car for $5k. Where do you pull this ****?

3. How many casual car buyers know the term flooring? Why would I use jargon when I could describe it in simple user-friendly terms? And what the hell is "Don't go through all that"? All that - you mean asking for the inventory list? Every salesman has an inventory list, and almost all of them will hand it over. Whew, that would be way harder than searching the lot, tracking VIN numbers over a period of several months, and at 50-100 dealerships. That sounds like a much easier way.

Everything I said was good sound advice that gives people a better chance of succeeding with the dealer. There's a thousand other factors that will play into the transaction. You just couldn't help but come along and interject your obnoxious desire to be all knowing into another thread. Are you capable of anything but detracting from this forum?

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bing!
    Great info getting shared here. Thanks. I hope you guys don't mind if I use some of them in tweaking the guide.
    Looks like you're already off to a good start.

The guide I put up is not a hardcore low baller manual.
    I think we're on the same page there too.

Keep up the good work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by romanl
    hard not to pay MSRP when buying VW TDI, demand is so high that dealers charge up to few grand over MSRP
    i had my '10 GOLF TDI ordered to exact specs i wanted, and when i came in to pick it up after over 3 month wait, all i got was about 200 off MSRP, dealer said NO to any negotiations i tried to do, his argument was: "we have 400 cars on the lot and only one GOLF TDI MT, and thats yours, i have people that will pay 2,000$ over MSRP for that car right now if you dont take it." so i got it, but i was willing to pay MSRP anyways
    This is what happened when I bought my old Honda Oddyssey.

Dealer #1 - So you're looking into getting this high demand of a van?
    Me - And you're full of $#!T to be charging $5k over MRSP!
    Dealer #1 - it's a high demand car? We're always running out of these bad boys. Demand = money... (laughs wickedly)
    Me - Really? Well, for as many deals I approved for you guys, you're still gonna jack me?
    Dealer #1 - Equal opportunity, but for you, how about $2,500 over MSRP?
    Me - For as many customers you've jacked and racked money off of this? I say I'm feeling lucky and I'll give you MY incentive of going $1k over Invoice. I normally get 'em for under or at the most $250 over Invoice. Deal?
    Dealer #1 - You're full of crap if you think you can walk off with that price point.
    Me - You're full of crap for calling me one, AND... for telling me that you're always running out. I was just here last week and I counted 16 in the lot with all the VIN's written on THIS paper (shows paper) and you only sold 1 since. So much for high demand and losing a sale on the last day of your Labor Day Sale.

(walks away)

Dealer #1 - Wait! How about at MSRP and you buy the Warranty and we have a deal!
    Me - I don't pay for Warranty at full price either. And I'm no baby when it comes to this. Go tell your Manager why you lost this sale.
    Dealer #1 - I am the Manager!
    Me - Then you have a lot of explaining to do in front of the owner then... AND YOUR BUSINESS OFFICE!

(the following weekend at a different dealership)

Me - So you know so and so?
    Dealer #2 - Yah, been family friends forever. What do you need?
    Me - That last van on the lot. That means every single one before it were sold at 5 over. So make this day an awesome one for me and sell it at Invoice. My wife is having a hard time with the new baby so just make it easier for everyone else. You sell this at Invoice and you're still making money. No extra, but it's still a sale... and it refills your lot with brand new ones. Besides, aren't you getting the newer models by next week?
    Dealer #2 - Lemme make a couple of phone calls and I'll let you know.

(a few minutes later)

Dealer #2 - SOLD! And even better, I'll give you our warranty at full coverage for our cost!
    Me - I'll be stupid today and say that I'll take your offer for it as a sign of my gratitude!

(out of the dealership in total of a little less than an hour)

Then guess what I did the following week? I went back to dealer #1 and showed him the purchase order! He said their stupid! I replied back without knowing that he was next to the owner and I said he's greedy! The owner butted in and asked what the situation is. I told him what happened. And it seems like after 2 weeks, there were only 3 vans that were sold! So I even pointed that out and mentioned that it's not as high of a demand in their dealership at all. He said thank you for pointing that out and he pulled his Manager in the office with this really concerned feeling. I drove off with a big smile on my face.

BTW - this happened in 2002. I now drive an MDX bought in '07. And I paid $500 under invoice for that one. The wife is driving the new Honda Hybrid. I'm eyeing that ZDX and there hasn't been a lot of sales so I'm looking into some low figures again including some add ons all at invoice. Except for the car itself - I'm gonna work my magic and see if I can get it just right above cost!

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009

mtbr member
    The most important thing to buying a new car. You don't "NEED" it. If they don't give it to you for the price you want, never hesitate to leave. A good salesman can sense how much you want the car and will jerk you around based on that.

Edit: also, don't be pressured on having to choose from a car on the lot. I Ordered my Volvo and waited 3 months for it to come from Gent, Belgium because they didn't have a manual transmission on the lot. I paid under invoice as well.

Deals aren't limited to on hand stock, just have patience.

Members who have read this thread: 0