Honda Ridgeline experiences???- Mtbr.com
    Baked Alaskan

Honda Ridgeline experiences???

Peeps,

I'm looking at a Ridgeline and I was wondering what any owners think of them. I've seen the brief reviews on places like Edmunds, but how are they after a couple years of ownership?

Haters please spare me the poo about it not being a "real" truck and all, I don't care and don't want the size, crappy ride or terrible fit and finish of the big rigs. I've spent considerable time in the F150 (kinda vanilla, good at many things, but great at nothing), an 08 Chevy (bad in too many ways to list including choppy ride, horrible fit and finish, squeaks and mech problems already creeping up and gas mileage nowhere near the sticker - worse then the Titan), an 07 Ram (absolutely the cheapest interior I've ever seen, they should be ashamed of that one, fit and finish and mileage sucks too), the Tundra (really nice, but I can bend the tailgate with one hand and the paint is wearing alarmingly quickly) and the Titan (best full size IMHO, love the motor, crew cab ride/space and the interior) but the gas mileage is a deal breaker on all the big rigs. I wish all the light duty diesels that are in the pipeline were available now.

Anyway, just want to see what people think after time and after they've lived with the Ridgeline for a couple years, anything that really nags you? Best features? Would you buy another? FYI, I'm looking at the RTL without the nav. I use a truck too much to not have a bed, but I want more interior space and more creature comforts along with a nicer ride. I frequently need 4wd too, so something along the lines of a Ridge is a necessity for me. Small AWD wagons don't do it for me either, I'm tall and squeezing into something like a Subaru just doesn't work for me. I wish that wasn't the case, because I'd probably buy a Tribeca, but I just couldn't get the drivers seat into a position that was comfortable.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Dawgwalker
    Apr 2006

Honda Ridgeline Experience

I love the Ridgeline, good ride, some hauling capability, but I am on the forums trying to find a good way to carry a bike in the bed. Have a Yakima bed rack that's been on at least three trucks mounted. Requires a bed extender and the gate down and the bike sits too high to drive into the garage. Looking at Beddy Joe but no one has one in stock.

Anyone with a good solution please post it.
    2015 Turner Sultan
    2012 Moots MootoXZ
    2008 Turner Sultan
    2007 Dean Colonel 29r
    2003 Titus Switchblade

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Took a vacation to Florida with the family and wanted to take the bikes and trailer along. Contents of the bed are as follows: Cannondale Rush, Raleigh M80, front wheels for both bikes, Burley d'Lite trailer, full-size cooler, and a 12-pack under the front of each bike.

The best thing is that, even with the bikes and trailer in the bed, I can swing each bike up onto the rail of the bed and gain full access to the in-bed trunk without unloading the anything. (Minus cooler, of course)

My bike rack is a 2x4 that bolts to the upper tie hooks in the bed and is coated in a spray-on rubberized coating from Home Depot. I bolted two quick release attachments to the top. With my Rush in the bed, I have about an inch or so of clearance between the bed and the rear tire and the rack is so stable that I usually don't even bother tying the rear wheel down.

I really can't say enough about the overall utility of this truck. You can indeed haul one bike in the back with the rear seats folded up, as this was my preferred method of transport prior to constructing my bed rack.

Let me know if you're interested in more detailed pics.
    2007 Cannondale Rush 5

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    Peeps,

I'm looking at a Ridgeline and I was wondering what any owners think of them. I've seen the brief reviews on places like Edmunds, but how are they after a couple years of ownership?

Haters please spare me the poo about it not being a "real" truck and all, I don't care and don't want the size, crappy ride or terrible fit and finish of the big rigs. I've spent considerable time in the F150 (kinda vanilla, good at many things, but great at nothing), an 08 Chevy (bad in too many ways to list including choppy ride, horrible fit and finish, squeaks and mech problems already creeping up and gas mileage nowhere near the sticker - worse then the Titan), an 07 Ram (absolutely the cheapest interior I've ever seen, they should be ashamed of that one, fit and finish and mileage sucks too), the Tundra (really nice, but I can bend the tailgate with one hand and the paint is wearing alarmingly quickly) and the Titan (best full size IMHO, love the motor, crew cab ride/space and the interior) but the gas mileage is a deal breaker on all the big rigs. I wish all the light duty diesels that are in the pipeline were available now.

Anyway, just want to see what people think after time and after they've lived with the Ridgeline for a couple years, anything that really nags you? Best features? Would you buy another? FYI, I'm looking at the RTL without the nav. I use a truck too much to not have a bed, but I want more interior space and more creature comforts along with a nicer ride. I frequently need 4wd too, so something along the lines of a Ridge is a necessity for me. Small AWD wagons don't do it for me either, I'm tall and squeezing into something like a Subaru just doesn't work for me. I wish that wasn't the case, because I'd probably buy a Tribeca, but I just couldn't get the drivers seat into a position that was comfortable.
    My other post wasn't very on-topic as far as yours is concerned. I've been in the Ridge for about a year now and it is the RTL without Nav as you are considering. I only have two complaints: gas mileage and no form of iPod connectivity. The latter I remedied with a great aftermarket solution that does not alter the factory system in any way. If you're interested, let me know and I'll send you the details. For the 2009 model, I think they have provided a connection from the factory. As for gas mileage, I'm averaging about 16mpg around town and I've touched 19 mpg on the highway. Yes it sucks, but the trade-off is that you have a vehicle with unmatched utility and comfort. The trunk is awesome (even has a drain plug for use as a cooler), the interior comfort is fantastic even for a 12-hour road trip (see post above), and the ride quality is surprisingly good.

If you've got any questions, feel free to fire away.
    2007 Cannondale Rush 5

Drunken fool
    [QUOTE=bruejam_db] As for gas mileage, I'm averaging about 16mpg around town and I've touched 19 mpg on the highway. Yes it sucks, but the trade-off is that you have a vehicle with unmatched utility and comfort.
    QUOTE]
    That's kind of disappointing. I was thinking of downgrading trucks and just assumed the RL did better than that. My current truck only does 2mpg average worse. Any other problems with the vehicle, warrenty items etc? How is the bed holding up? TIA for any info.
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    No other problems at all... it's been great. The bed does scratch easily so if you carry a lot of stuff back there I would recommend a bed mat or something to protect it.

I'm sure you could see better mileage numbers if your right foot doesn't weigh as much as mine.
    2007 Cannondale Rush 5

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Have you looked at the ford sport track?
    Also, have you though about getting a (OMG) a minivan and a 4x8 trailer? Haveing a trailer is so much nicer when you have to load large/ heavey things.
    The thing i love about haveing the trailer is useing the rear gate as a ramp for driveing the tractor up into the cargo area.
    As a plus the caravans can get 27mpg. 25mpg if you get the awd version.

Baked Alaskan
    Thanks for the belated replies peeps, I'm actually just putting my current rig up for sale and the RL is still tops on my list - especially with the incentives they're offering.

The Ford would cost as much as the RL, but its smaller, gets the same mileage, cheaper materials - especially in the interior and the resale is terrible compared to the Honda. Not interested in a minivan and a trailer - I frequently use the utility of a truck bed. Caravan is a Dodge - no dice for me because of the poor build quality and cheapo interiors - and that goes for pretty much all the domestics. Nicest US rig I've driven in the under $30k range is the Ford Edge, but I can get a comparably equipped Honda for less - go figure since the long-term resale value of the Honda is still better. Had I bought a Subaru or some other kind of wagon/crossover - I would have bought a klunker truck for my haulin' duties. I'm helping to remodel my GF's place so trips to the Home Depot are frequent.

Thanks again guys.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    AWD wagons don't do it for me either, I'm tall and squeezing into something like a Subaru just doesn't work for me. I wish that wasn't the case, because I'd probably buy a Tribeca, but I just couldn't get the drivers seat into a position that was comfortable.
    How tall are you? I'm 5'11" in an impreza wrx and I fit great, with gobs of headroom (I adjust the seat all the way down). It's far more accomidating than my old neon (not suprising since smart people actually designed this car as compared to my neon). I could be another 4" easily and still fit nice. The back-seat room sucks for those in the back seat, but the new 08 model addresses this. In any case, if I had a family and I "HAD" to go offroad all the time, the legacy outback would fit everyone great (we used to have one). It's got a good amount of space. Foresters are roomy as well.

You ain't going to do much better on the trucks due to how much they weigh, the engines they come with (because no one wants an "underpowered" truck), and the aerodynamics. They are aerodynamically like bricks, and with all of those things more or less the same, the milege isn't going to vary all that much from one model to the next. Old 4cyl toyotas were good because they were light and 4cyls, the V6s were worse in milege but still a lot better than big V8s because the truck was still relatively light and small, and you keep making tradeoffs obviously. Enjoy buying gas, because buying these kinds of trucks and all sorts of other things are what keep the prices up.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Dawgwalker
    Apr 2006

Ridgeline

Be sure to use the recommended oil, 5W20. One quick lube place used 5W30 and gas mileage decreased significantly.
    2015 Turner Sultan
    2012 Moots MootoXZ
    2008 Turner Sultan
    2007 Dean Colonel 29r
    2003 Titus Switchblade

Baked Alaskan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    How tall are you? I'm 5'11" in an impreza wrx and I fit great, with gobs of headroom (I adjust the seat all the way down). It's far more accomidating than my old neon (not suprising since smart people actually designed this car as compared to my neon). I could be another 4" easily and still fit nice. The back-seat room sucks for those in the back seat, but the new 08 model addresses this. In any case, if I had a family and I "HAD" to go offroad all the time, the legacy outback would fit everyone great (we used to have one). It's got a good amount of space. Foresters are roomy as well.
    With no kids yet I really don't care much about the back seat, I'm 6'2" with kinda long legs and that creates a problem for me in Subaru's - when I get the seat back far enough to be comfortable I'm sitting next to the damn "B" pillar. That puts the armrest really far forward - its not a natural position and its really uncomfortable for me to drive like that. Having to force my arm forward meant my bad shoulder got sore really quick.

That was a bummer because I was actually planning on getting a Sub ... I walked into the dealer looking for the color/options I wanted and I was prepared to get one. I like everything about them and no surprise - they're very popular up here - roomy, great traction in the snow, reliable, good mileage, but the lack of comfort is a deal breaker for me. I really wanted one and drove them all including the new Forester - but I don't like driving without using the armrest.

I've driven a lot of vehicles through the years and this is an issue for me in most compacts. If I pull the seat forward to the point where my arm can naturally sit on the armrest, then my knees are touching the dash or are uncomfortable close and the steering wheel is way too close. The 2-door Rabbit and Civic are some of the few that don't have this issue because the 2-door models have much longer doors so the armrest reaches further back and the "B" pillar doesn't interfere and the wheel telescopes on the Rabbit. But I do find myself transporting people and gear almost daily and 2-doors are just not practical.

Members who have read this thread: 1