Honda Element hitch rack question- Mtbr.com

Honda Element hitch rack question

Element owners: I'm looking for a hitch rack - I like the type that secure the bikes by the wheels as opposed to hanging from the frame e.g. yakima hookup, sportworks, thule t2... am I missing any?

My question: When the bikes are off the rack and the stabilizing bars are folded down are you still able to lower the rear tailgate or does it interfere with the hitch rack ?

mtbr member
    May 2004

you're looking for this rack

from 1upusa.com there's a link on the "hot deals" section. made from CNC'd aluminum with stainless steel hardware.

it holds my f/s, SS, road, 29er, BMX. I don't have a bike with 3" wide tires, but I'm sure they will fit. touches nothing but the tires and very securely as well. a bit pricey, but you won't be disappointed. this is a very well designed, functional and easy to use rack. it's a piece of art.

btw... this is the only rack that does not hit the tailgate of my element. also, looks good on the back of the E with or without bikes.

Last edited by BundokBiker; 05-11-2006 at 11:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Speeking of the Element, I have been thinking about getting one with the idea that I could just throw my bikes in the back and not have to worry about a rack. Is this not that practicall of an idea?

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eric1971
    Speeking of the Element, I have been thinking about getting one with the idea that I could just throw my bikes in the back and not have to worry about a rack. Is this not that practicall of an idea?
    It is a very practical idea. I carry by mountain and road bikes inside my Element all the time. For short trips I can slide it in with the wheels on. For other trips I secure it with a fork mount attached to a 2x6. The interior is easy to clean up with a damp cloth.

The element will fit plenty of bikes inside - but sometimes you need the room inside for other things ( riding buds, camping gear )

I like the looks the 1up rack - being able to fold down the tailgate is a big selling point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the info guys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a 2006 Element with a Valley Hitch 2 inch receiver and a Thule T2 rack and i think the tailgate opens fine. From what I remember it it close, but still clears. So far I love my T2!!

John
    Last edited by 1fastvx; 05-12-2006 at 09:52 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004

of course it is

Quote Originally Posted by eric1971
    many times I carry 3 bikes and 3 people with gear... that's the added functionality of a rack. two bikes easily fit inside with the seats folded up. three or four with the rear seats removed.

try driving your car less
    I wish I had known about that rack before.

If you had it stored in the back of the car, how many seconds/minutes does it take to have it unfolded, mounted on the hitch and read to mount a bike? Not the first time, but after you have done it a few times.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    May 2004

with practice

probably under 1 minute. I've only removed it twice and it took me about 2 mins to install it the last time. all the pins are spring loaded and snap into place as the arms are unfolded. the hitch mount pin is also spring loaded, the difficult part was tightening the lock with their special tool... took me 30 secs because I did it by feel (I didn't want to kneel on the ground and get my knees dirty) and dropped the wrench.

you can see by my first photo that I use a cable to lock the rack to the hitch. the locking pin is genius, but the back portion of the rack, at the main pivot, can be disassembled with a large wrench. the cable is looped around itself and weaved through the inside of the main support. anything can be stolen, but this will slow down a thief. I also lock the bikes to this cable if I'm going to leave the bikes for a short period of time. With the Element you always have the option of putting bikes inside for extended periods of time, ie overnight.

my friend's 29er, a large with fat tires, barely fit because of the long wheelbase. their website says they'll do custom lengths for no extra cost. if you have an extra large 29er, i'd measure the tire to tire length and email to them. I asked if my tailgate would hit and got a response in less than 8 hours. BTW there's about 2" of clearance from bottom of tailgate to top of rack.

I'm thinking of asking for commission for all the people I've referred to this guy. People ask me about the rack everywhere I stop. Someone even asked me about it while driving on the road.

every product can be improved... I'd like to see a special bolt pattern for the main bolt, similar to a wheel lock lugnut. I could probably do that myself.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by BundokBiker
    probably under 1 minute. I've only removed it twice and it took me about 2 mins to install it the last time. all the pins are spring loaded and snap into place as the arms are unfolded. the hitch mount pin is also spring loaded, the difficult part was tightening the lock with their special tool... took me 30 secs because I did it by feel (I didn't want to kneel on the ground and get my knees dirty) and dropped the wrench.

you can see by my first photo that I use a cable to lock the rack to the hitch. the locking pin is genius, but the back portion of the rack, at the main pivot, can be disassembled with a large wrench. the cable is looped around itself and weaved through the inside of the main support. anything can be stolen, but this will slow down a thief. I also lock the bikes to this cable if I'm going to leave the bikes for a short period of time. With the Element you always have the option of putting bikes inside for extended periods of time, ie overnight.

my friend's 29er, a large with fat tires, barely fit because of the long wheelbase. their website says they'll do custom lengths for no extra cost. if you have an extra large 29er, i'd measure the tire to tire length and email to them. I asked if my tailgate would hit and got a response in less than 8 hours. BTW there's about 2" of clearance from bottom of tailgate to top of rack.

I'm thinking of asking for commission for all the people I've referred to this guy. People ask me about the rack everywhere I stop. Someone even asked me about it while driving on the road.

every product can be improved... I'd like to see a special bolt pattern for the main bolt, similar to a wheel lock lugnut. I could probably do that myself.

thanks!
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Doesnt the Element have the option for a fork moun in the interior? Would be sweet if it had 2 of them. Im so thinking about that car but the gas mileage is not that great.

Members who have read this thread: 0