Honda Element- Mtbr.com

Thread: Honda Element

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Honda Element

Just wondering who all has one and I had a few questions. Does anyone think that a extra large stinky or coilair could fit in one of these without taking the front wheel off? And, is the stick really that much better than the automatic?

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by dosh142
    Just wondering who all has one and I had a few questions. Does anyone think that a extra large stinky or coilair could fit in one of these without taking the front wheel off? And, is the stick really that much better than the automatic?
    Absolutely not. You will have to remove the front wheel. I have a medium Turner RFX and it is a no go.

As for the tranny, the new Elements have a 5 speed auto which is much improved. I love it!
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

igoslo
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Absolutely not. You will have to remove the front wheel. I have a medium Turner RFX and it is a no go.

As for the tranny, the new Elements have a 5 speed auto which is much improved. I love it!
    I gotta disagree, if I can fit three bikes with their wheels on, I'm sure you can get one in there no problem. The hard part will be door clearance, but if both seats are up you go in diagonally and it's no problem. I just don't think you're trying hard enough. Also, I've got the stick and I wouldn't have it any other way. I've never owned a slush box and never will.

Photo taken yesterday, BTW.

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloRider
    I gotta disagree, if I can fit three bikes with their wheels on, I'm sure you can get one in there no problem. The hard part will be door clearance, but if both seats are up you go in diagonally and it's no problem. I just don't think you're trying hard enough. Also, I've got the stick and I wouldn't have it any other way. I've never owned a slush box and never will.

Photo taken yesterday, BTW.
    Looks good...BUT, those are 4" travel bikes. The Stinky and coilair have much taller and slacker front ends, and they are considerably longer. I tried every which way to put in my RFX with no avail. My bike barely fits length wise without the front tire. Diagonal might work, if only I could get the handlebars low enough to fit.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    One of the main reasons I would get an Element would be to put bikes inside the car. I am just wondering, assuming I can't really do that because im 6'3 and all my bikes will be big, why I would get an element if I can't do this. Would I just be better off getting a car and putting a 4 bike hitch rack on the back?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    just get a OMG a mini van. honda elements look like disfunctional minivans anyways

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    My bike barely fits length wise without the front tire. .

That must be one long bike, I've carried a tandem with the front tire off in my Element. Our dealer let us load the bike in to test it before we bought, I expect yours would let you do the same if he really wants the sale.

As far as tranny goes, I test drove a 5-speed automatic and actually was very impressed with it, but I went with the manual. Automatic is geared a bit taller so it gets slightly better mileage and is a bit quieter on the highway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have the new 5 speed automagic Element and I like it. It does fine job climbing through the mountain passes, I have no problem keeping up with the I-70 traffic from Denver into the mountains.

I like Monkeys
    I can put my 575 in my Element. I have to go in diagonally because of the seatpost. Once inside I can put it against the side with the wheel turned slightly. Otherwise no problem. The element is the perfect bike vehicle imho. My 5 speed auto 4wd will out accelerate my subaru baja.

I usually use my hitch rack though. I like the element for the flexibility. 1-2 bikes and the wife on a long trip we can lock it all up. 4 people, hitch rack. The room for the back seat passengers is much better than almost any vehicle.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My buddy's Element has gone through windshields faster than he's gone through bikes. His wife has a 30 mile commute to work and they have had to replace the windshield once every three months so far since buying it due to cracks in it from rocks being picked up from cars ahead of her. The current one has lasted the longest as the crack hasn't (yet) spread across the driver's vision, making it, by law, a requirement to have it replaced. They've had this windshield for four months so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PCC
    My buddy's Element has gone through windshields faster than he's gone through bikes. His wife has a 30 mile commute to work and they have had to replace the windshield once every three months so far since buying it due to cracks in it from rocks being picked up from cars ahead of her. The current one has lasted the longest as the crack hasn't (yet) spread across the driver's vision, making it, by law, a requirement to have it replaced. They've had this windshield for four months so far.
    I have mine for almost a year and never had a problem and I do quite a bit of highway driving. I know they had some issues with the early windshields though.

Members who have read this thread: 0