honda crv rack- Mtbr.com

Thread: honda crv rack

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

honda crv rack

is there a rack that fits the honda crv and can carry 2 bikes? the spare tire, mounted on the outside, gets in the way of conventional racks.
    thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Thule...

I believe the Thule Spare-Me Tire rack works. Kinda pricey though. Take a look at thule.com and click on the "fit my car" link. Good luck.

mtbr member

Yes, thereis...

Quote Originally Posted by gregm
    is there a rack that fits the honda crv and can carry 2 bikes? the spare tire, mounted on the outside, gets in the way of conventional racks.
    thanks.
    This past year, I outfitted my wife's 2002 CRV with both a roof rack and a spare tire rack. Both systems are from Yakima, although Thule makes something similar.

The roof rack was rock solid on a trip from Ohio to Moab/Sedona, but it killed my gas milage (18-20 mpg) with 2 bikes on top. The system bolts directly into screw holes beneath the rails that are under the little black plastic covers. You need the Landing Pads that are designed specifically for the CRV, a set of four control towers, 48" bars, and whatever bike mount you want to use. Not a cheap solution, but effective.

We wanted to carry 4 bikes, but we didn't want to put them all on the roof, so we also got a Yakima spare tire rack (Spare-Roc...I think). I don't think Yakima makes them anymore, but you can still find them online lots of places. It bolts to a steel plate that mounts behind the spare tire. Very solid...I put my wifes $4000 Ellsworth on it.

We're very happy with both systems. I prefer the roof rack with Yakima viper mounts.
    Check out Yakima's web site for specific part numbers.
    Good Luck!

-MIke

mtbr member

Hitch mounted rack

We got a hitch mount put on at a U-Haul for something like $40 and got a hitch mounted rack.
    If you are only as old as you feel, I'm 101

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Bike Rack for CRV

thanks.
    We have a 2003 CRV (Australian model) and I was looking to buy a rack too - I mentioned the same problem to the LBS when we bought my wife a bike and the shop owner had a rack that he sold us 2nd hand. It works really well and takes all of 10 secs to secure each bike! I found a link for you at performance...good hunting for a bargain!

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4411

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    thanks.
    I found Yakima's Bighhorn rack interfered with the spare on my '02 CRV, but Thule's HitchingPost did not. So, that's what I've got.

Kathy
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tegski
    We have a 2003 CRV (Australian model) and I was looking to buy a rack too - I mentioned the same problem to the LBS when we bought my wife a bike and the shop owner had a rack that he sold us 2nd hand. It works really well and takes all of 10 secs to secure each bike! I found a link for you at performance...good hunting for a bargain!

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4411

How is the ground clearance for the cr-v with the cycle-on rack? Does the rack slant down because it's so heavy?

I'm considering the same rack for my cr-v.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

CRV Saris Rack

Quote Originally Posted by alf333
    How is the ground clearance for the cr-v with the cycle-on rack? Does the rack slant down because it's so heavy?

I'm considering the same rack for my cr-v.
    My rack actually is higher than the hitching post part of the car underneath. The clearance has not been a problem. The rear door opens over the rack (just) with the rack mounted so that will give you an idea of the fixed height. The rack is really solid and does not move with the bikes on it although you can see a bit of bounce as you drive along.
    Proviso - my rack is a couple of years old, so the new racks may be different!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sportworks Transport is the BEST

I have 2004 CR-V and I bought the Sportworks Transport. I have several bikes (HT, FS, Roadie, wife's HT) and the Transport works great!. When I am at the trailhead I have my bikes unloaded/loaded faster than the "top tube" kind of hitch racks. It literally takes seconds to load or unload the bikes. And, it is built rock solid. It secures the to the MTB tires verus the top tubes. Check out the pick from their web page. Spend a little extra cash and get this one. If you take your ride on your CR-V more than once a week, you will be glad you took the leap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Old school BMXer
    It's not quite a CR-V, but it is a CRX. Maybe you could copy his design. It seems to hold a fair amount of weight. It must be a pain to load!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

My Crv All Thule

Roof Rack And Trunk Rack