hollywood pro rider- Mtbr.com
    RIDE_CRASH_REPEAT
    Aug 2006

New question here. hollywood pro rider

does anybody on here have any experience with the HOLLYWOOD PRO RIDER HITCH RACK?? I'm looking at putting it on my honda element w/ 1.25" rack. I was thinking about the SWAGMAN XC, but i like the fact that the Pro Rider folds up when not in use and i can still open my hatch...let me know what everybody thinks

mtbr member
    May 2004

Hollywood Pro Rider feelings

I had a Hollywood Pro Rider for a Class 1 - 1.25 inch hitch for a little while. I liked the simple design and overall it is built well. I didn't keep it because of a couple of reasons. 1) Some of the set screws for the fork mounts kept coming loose and thus the fork mounts came loose. But this could be easily addressed using Loc-tite or some other product. 2) My biggest complaint was the "no tool no-wobble" mechanism. It basically allows you to turn a lever that in turn pulls a wedge on the end of the rack tight against the reciever tube of the hitch. It works similar to a threaded headset/stem set-up. The problem I had with it was that I had trouble getting rid of all the wobble. It would get tight, but still had some wobble. I might have been expecting too much, but I had a different hitch rack that used a threaded bolt set-up that worked much better. Yeah, you have to have a tool or two, but when the bolt was tight there was no movement. Some of the wobble/movement could have come from the fact that the rack is mostly comprised of 2 x 2 steel square tubing and the tube that fits in the hitch is 1.25. It seems like this was an area of flex, especially since the rack is relatively heavy. I don't think this same flex would be present in the 2" model. Also, it seemed like each time I took it on and off, I had to turn the lever more than the previous install and this worried me a little.

The final straw was that I am lazy and don't like to take front wheels off anymore. I had a roof rack for years and I am tired of it. So with all these things considered I returned it. I am now looking at the Sportrack/Swagman/Hollywood Sport Rider style racks. If you do decide to go with the Pro Rider, I think you will be happy with it, there are just a few things I would change about it.

Hope this helps
    Dirt

Members who have read this thread: 0