hitchrack wrangler question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

hitchrack wrangler question

I am looking to get a replacement for my hitchrack. I am especially interested in the xport flatbed or something similar. question is... how easy is it to get into the jeep from the back. My current rack i have to pull a pin out of and fold it down to get access to the rear door of the jeep. its a pain as the pin does not always line up properly and is sometime difficult to get in, especially when its dark. I carry a lot of crap in the back of my jeep (no backseat) so i would like something that is easy to deal with. the thule t2 and similar is very nice but expensive.
    Really like the 1up rack as well but again, expensive.

code: mtbr2011
    i would go with a spare tire bike rack, like the yakima sparetime or thule 963xt.
    any hitch mount rack that isn't a swingaway rack is going to interfere with your back door.

mtbr member
    search wrangler here. I posted a ton of pics of mine.

I ran a drop extension and could get into the back and fold up the rack. I would not suggest a tire carrier rack. I have seen a lot of hinges on the back gate get bent from too many bikes and all the weight. I had to clear the 37" spare on the bumper.

mtbr member
    what brand of rack is that you have kntr ?

mtbr member
    Its the older T2.

that's a really nice setup on the wrangler. you've got a nice place too!

i like the look of that drop extension. do you have an anti sway built into that?

like i said earlier...you gotta have something that will clear the backdoor/tire of the wrangler like a swing away bike rack, an extension with drop like the one shown here, or a spare tire bike mount for use on these jeeps, otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot by not being able to open the back door more than 4"...and that's not even enough to open the back glass either.

i am really liking the new yakima sparetime as a spare tire bike rack. it is a really smart design, very well constructed and fits oversized tires, where the thule spare me doesn't.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    that's a really nice setup on the wrangler. you've got a nice place too!

i like the look of that drop extension. do you have an anti sway built into that?

like i said earlier...you gotta have something that will clear the backdoor/tire of the wrangler like a swing away bike rack, an extension with drop like the one shown here, or a spare tire bike mount for use on these jeeps, otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot by not being able to open the back door more than 4"...and that's not even enough to open the back glass either.

i am really liking the new yakima sparetime as a spare tire bike rack. it is a really smart design, very well constructed and fits oversized tires, where the thule spare me doesn't.
    What do you mean? It was completly solid. It didnt move at all. The T2 has the anti rattle kit and I added a Boone anti rattle kit to the hitch extension... no rattles and no movement what so ever.

i was referring to the extension coming out from the hitch that drops a few inches.
    the bike rack screws into the extension, but i was wondering if the extension that is inserted into the receiver hitch has some anti-wobble built into it...

mtbr member
    i currently have a yakima hitch rack where the bikes hang. my bike needs the adaptor to attach properly which is a bit of a pita. i was hoping to get something similar to the t2 that i could open the back door (without bikes on the rack) without having to adjust or move anything. I wonder about the 1up USA rack, it seems pretty low profile.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    i was referring to the extension coming out from the hitch that drops a few inches.
    the bike rack screws into the extension, but i was wondering if the extension that is inserted into the receiver hitch has some anti-wobble built into it...
    I explained it above, but I will show you the piece. I used the Boone Outdoor Hardware anti rattle wedge. It worked pretty good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    ...I would not suggest a tire carrier rack. I have seen a lot of hinges on the back gate get bent from too many bikes and all the weight. I had to clear the 37" spare on the bumper.
    I think this may be an issue if you're carrying lots of bikes, but...the OP says he has no backseat in his Jeep, so how many bikes is he gonna be carrying?

I installed a Swagman spare tire rack on my Suzuki GV, and it's great. I also have no rear seat in my vehicle, so can only carry two people...the rack is only meant for two bikes, which I don't think will be a problem for the gate hinge.

The nice thing about spare tire racks is that access to the vehicle is not hindered by the rack. On a GV site, one owner was complaining about his bike rack...he bought a hitch-mount rack that folds down, which may work with an overhead hinged tailgate, but the side hinged gate on his GV won't open much even with the rack folded down, if there's a bike on it.

Here's the pic:

Members who have read this thread: 0