Hitchmount rack: hanger-style or wheel-tray-style?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Hitchmount rack: hanger-style or wheel-tray-style?

I've got a new Jetta, looking for a hitch-mount rack. Can anyone comment on the virtues/benefits of a rack that hangs the bikes from the cross tube (thule Hitching Post/Parkway/Rambler) vs one that holds the bikes by the wheels (a la Thule "T2" series)? My bikes are both traditional frames (Giant NRS2, C.C. Douglas Fusion Road bike) with slightly sloping top tubes but nothing preventing hanging them...

Thanks
    Danny

It's Makeable
    Mar 2008

One of the all-time best bike-related purchases

Quote Originally Posted by dtaffe
    I've got a new Jetta, looking for a hitch-mount rack. Can anyone comment on the virtues/benefits of a rack that hangs the bikes from the cross tube (thule Hitching Post/Parkway/Rambler) vs one that holds the bikes by the wheels (a la Thule "T2" series)? My bikes are both traditional frames (Giant NRS2, C.C. Douglas Fusion Road bike) with slightly sloping top tubes but nothing preventing hanging them...

Thanks
    Danny
    You will *never* hang a bike again after gettting a hitch-mounted tray rack. Simply awesome.
    There are a couple of links to reviews at the end of this (self-serving) post.
    Last edited by fogman; 05-01-2009 at 11:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I bought a hanging rack several years ago, used it once and will never use it again. It damaged one of the decals on my bike. Putting 4 bikes on was a total mess. With many geometries of mountain (and some road bikes) it is impossible to hang them unless you get the gadget that provides a top tube hanging point - more fooling around.

I'd look at the 1upUSA rack, the Raxter and the Thule T2 instead (in that order)

J.

mtbr member
    here's mine: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=511280

if you only need to carry 2 bikes max, then i say go with tray style. i don't have to worry about the top bar issues with my rack because i have the frame adaptors ($15 each). i went with this one because it was cheap, sturdy, and i may need to carry 3 bikes. 3 would still be very tight- even on a 4 bike rack.

i would like to have a 3 or 4 bike tray style rack, but they are pretty pricey and not recommended to have 3+ bike tray style racks on a 1.25" hitch.

i am very pleased with my bike rack- easy to use, very sturdy, holds 2+ bikes, and inexpensive!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    I bought a hanging rack several years ago, used it once and will never use it again. It damaged one of the decals on my bike. Putting 4 bikes on was a total mess. With many geometries of mountain (and some road bikes) it is impossible to hang them unless you get the gadget that provides a top tube hanging point - more fooling around.

I'd look at the 1upUSA rack, the Raxter and the Thule T2 instead (in that order)

J.
    http://www.1upusa.com/1upusarackhome.htm

am i reading this correctly- $500 2 carry two bikes. seems like it works well, but that's a lot of moolah!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It is, but it looks like the best out there. After having already spent $400 on a hanger rack (the swing away thule one) that is terrible, any rack I buy is going to be expensive but it is going to be great.

The advantage to the 1upUSA one is that you can buy as much as you want and use as much as you want.

Failing that, my second choice is the Raxter.

I really don't want to have to muscle around an 80lb rack like the Thule T2 with 4 bikes.

J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have both, if you are going to put it on your jetta you are most likely going to carry 2 bikes max so get the wheel mount one, is lots better, I have thule hanging rack that I use with my truck when I carry 3-4 bikes with the frame top adapter and have a thule rack on my car that i use whe I carry 1-2 bikes. Get the best rack you can afford the first time don't go cheap and then regret it. This is what I have on my acura tl.

Members who have read this thread: 0