Hitches: 1 Arm vs 2 Arms- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Hitches: 1 Arm vs 2 Arms

Hi,

What's the advantages/disadvantages of having 2 arms on the bike hitch vs only 1 arm???

1 arm:
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4411

2 arms:
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4411

Would the 1 arm rack be more likely to break?

Also, has anyone heard of these things failing and dropping bikes while driving???

Derailleurless
    oops, user error, duplicate post.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Derailleurless
    2 arm gives you better stability, and the adjustable arms give you some freedom to adjust the angle at which the stick out.

2 arms may not fit all frames, ex. smaller frames or frames with a shock in the way i.e. mounted to the top tube.

1 arm gives you easier storage capability and probably some cost reduction due to easier manufacturing or less materials.

1 arm might not fit all frames, ex. curved or heavily sloped top tubes. I would imagine this design could put more stress on a frame, but that's pure speculation (Would the general advice to never clamp a bike in a workstand by the top tube apply here?).

Bikes fall off racks. I don't think it's the racks that are failing. Always a good idea to double check your load is secured properly (that goes for any bike rack). The more connection points, the greater "safety" if one point should fail, but also the more places to forget to secure or secure improperly.

I used a two armed RhodeGear rack for years which seemed pretty lightweight for the 100 pounds of bikes it carried, but it always worked well and never dropped a bike, probably due to my frequent concerned glances through the rear view mirror.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Members who have read this thread: 0