Is this hitch right?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Is this hitch right?

Hi.

I recently had a hitch installed at Uhaul. Instead of the standard type of hitch that spans the width (or nearly so) of the vehicle, they installed just the tongue receiver. They had to drill into the spare tire wheel well to install it.

It looks pretty sturdy, and I only need it for my 1Up rack. However, I've never seen an installation with this minimal amount of hardware. Do you think it's sufficient, or did they cut corners?

Photo below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this hitch right?-hitch.jpg  

Retired User
    I've never personally seen a receiver attached like that, but my gut tells me there's going to be an enormous amount of rotational force placed on those 4 bolts and your wheel well. Is there any way to add an additional connection to the frame out closer to the bumper? What's the made,model, yr of the vehicle?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It's a 2002 Nissan Maxima. In various on-line sizing tools, I've never gotten results for this type of receiver unit.

You're right -- based on the photo, there would be a lot of rotational weight there. But I didn't take a good enough photo. In addition to the 4 bolts holding one end of the hitch on the wheel well, there are another two on the other end that are attached to the bumper (they had to drill there, too).

I've attached another photo, though it didn't come out too well.

The rating on the hitch indicates 200/2000 lbs load max, but I've just never seen this type of installation before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this hitch right?-dsc00588.jpg  

Is this hitch right?-dsc00594.jpg  

Retired User
    That make's much more sense. I think it'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Oh, yes, much better. The first photo doesn't clearly show the bracket attaching to the bumper - without that the installation would indeed be greatly flawed.

Class 1 hitches commonly bolt into the trunk pan, and Uhaul likely buys these from a receiver hitch supplier (i.e., preengineered). This will be fine.

mtbr member
    Uhaul usually does a pretty good job, they made a receiver hitch for my old 1991 Honda Civic Si and it's held up 20 years so far.

roog

I'd rather be on my bike
    I had one installed on my 2005 Audi A4 from U-haul. Looks exactly like that. I have had 0 issues with it so far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    they may have also used a plate on the interior of the wheel well which would certainly help spread the load

Bedwards Of The West
    For a bike rack, no worries. For a trailer? I'd be nervous. Not becuase of the install, but just because of the design. That's a 'light duty' set-up. Probably for light-duty use, so no worries.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    OP here. Thanks for the responses, I feel a lot better now about the secure installation. No trailer towing for me, so just the rack should be fine.

Members who have read this thread: 0