hitch racks on vehicles with low ground clearance- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

hitch racks on vehicles with low ground clearance

I've got a 06 mustang and looking to get a hitch rack. the thule t2 is in my eye. however im wondering if I'll have any problems with this rack dragging the ground. I've also considered the standard type hitch mount but it also seems that with a bike beam (which all my bikes use) the wheels would be awfully close to the ground. my car isnt lowered or anything, just a standard mustang.

any input?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    my friend had a 92 lexus sc300 that was just as low as a mustang would be. he used a hitch type rack and no problems with that

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by luckynumber9
    I've got a 06 mustang and looking to get a hitch rack. the thule t2 is in my eye. however im wondering if I'll have any problems with this rack dragging the ground. I've also considered the standard type hitch mount but it also seems that with a bike beam (which all my bikes use) the wheels would be awfully close to the ground. my car isnt lowered or anything, just a standard mustang.

any input?
    Depends on where you drive and ride.

It seems when I've driven places that have snow, the curbs and drives tend to be shallower and more hitch friendly. Was down in TX and some of the drives down there have the back of the car and van scraping, even without a hitch.

How close is the arse end of the Mustang to hitting already? I put a 2" hitch mount on the mini-van. A bit more ground clearance than some of the cars, but it's also extends a bit lower than the smaller hitches, and I've had it hit several times. Destroyed one of those steel bike hitch cover thingys.

And I feel your pain, I've been considering a hitch rack for the next car too, and worried having a hitch rack get abused from normal driving.

Good luck!

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    the front of my xb scrapes long before the bike rack

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I had a 2wd tacoma that was lowered 5inches all the way around and I had a hitch rack and it barely ever hit. The front bumper hit more honestly.

Now I have a blazer xtreme which is lowered 3inches around with the hitch rack and that only hit once and that's when I backed into a space and scraped the concrete thingy.

mtbr member
    i have a hyundai elantra and my xport bike rack would scrape once in a while going up or down steep inclines. my bike tires never hit- only the bottom of the rack that jets out of the hitch. i switched to the tray style xport because there is more clearance and it only comes close once in a while.

i think it's a fair concern to have- just look how much the rack goes straight out from the hitch and then goes up.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

Bandolero

Lodi Dodi

I think you're worrying too much.

XPort rack. 70+lb of bike.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i put the same rack on my scion, on my mothers corvette. and scraped the front leaving a gas station but not the rack.

aka übermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    I think you're worrying too much.
    Yep. I have a hitch rack on my Mustang and have never scraped it on the ground.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

Members who have read this thread: 0